• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another helo vs the world thread (moved from helmets)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I saw the day HUD for the -60 at NHA. Not sure how realistic it is, but I liked the idea at least. We're not exactly Cobras/Apaches.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I saw the day HUD for the -60 at NHA. Not sure how realistic it is, but I liked the idea at least. We're not exactly Cobras/Apaches.

What "need" is the day HUD advertised to address? The night HUD has it's uses (more valuable to some than others) but it's not like we're training weapons on targets with your cyborg attachments.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
What "need" is the day HUD advertised to address? The night HUD has it's uses (more valuable to some than others) but it's not like we're training weapons on targets with your cyborg attachments.

I agree, hence the "We're not Cobras/Apaches" comment. Just think it's cool. In the short term, I'm just happy to have a glass cockpit, (somewhat) regular software/avionics updates, and be on an airframe that's getting additions and fixes as it grows.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Night HUD is huge. Anything that's an improvement over the current abomination is welcome. However to the weapons on target comment, might there be some super hi-tech way to include the M-197 pipper in this? Just a thought. It's not like we have had helmet mounted HUD/sighting systems in helos since the 80's...

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
Night HUD is huge. Anything that's an improvement over the current abomination is welcome. However to the weapons on target comment, might there be some super hi-tech way to include the M-197 pipper in this? Just a thought. It's not like we have had helmet mounted HUD/sighting systems in helos since the 80's...
Big for M-197 and rockets ... don't want to be in some of those profiles, walking ordnance onto a target, and breaking outside scan to look inside. We have a guy assisting with the testing and he came back a true believer in both day and night HUD for ASUW in general.

My first thoughts when I saw day HUD at NHA was Day CAS/ASuW -- if you think about how you will want to fly in that environment, particularly over water, you'll want to minimize your looks inside as the flying pilot.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Night HUD is huge. Anything that's an improvement over the current abomination is welcome.

Eh... Like I said, some guys dig it. Other guys with a ton of green ink in the -60 didn't find it necessary. Perhaps helpful with all but some minimal symbology turned off, but nowhere near a NO GO criteria. This was actually a major topic of discussion when we were trying to get our HUDs online and installed.

However to the weapons on target comment, might there be some super hi-tech way to include the M-197 pipper in this? Just a thought. It's not like we have had helmet mounted HUD/sighting systems in helos since the 80's...

Big for M-197 and rockets ... don't want to be in some of those profiles, walking ordnance onto a target, and breaking outside scan to look inside. We have a guy assisting with the testing and he came back a true believer in both day and night HUD for ASUW in general.

My first thoughts when I saw day HUD at NHA was Day CAS/ASuW -- if you think about how you will want to fly in that environment, particularly over water, you'll want to minimize your looks inside as the flying pilot.

I know you guys have to brandish the patch every so often, but you do realize how silly these comments sound right now.

I was asking because a day HUD doesn't really seem necessary if it isn't coupled with another weapon system. I hadn't heard of (and why I was asking) the other half of the system as being "purchased" yet. It was an honest question, not trying to be a smart ass about it.

I can split the thread if we need to.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I was asking because a day HUD doesn't really seem necessary if it isn't coupled with another weapon system. I hadn't heard of (and why I was asking) the other half of the system as being "purchased" yet. It was an honest question, not trying to be a smart ass about it.

Spot on. Without integrated sensors and probes, it is just a fancier version of a grease pencil death-dot on the windscreen.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

So far flying with it the day HUD is much more of a nice to have than a need to have. It's practically the same as the NVG HUD, so you can get the same cueing during your day flights that you get at night, and for me personally it's the info it provides in the brownout environment. I usually set mine to RADALT, groundspeed, and toque. Ironically, flying with the doors off makes a much better impact on brownout landings than the HUD does, so take that for what you will.

Just another tool in the cockpit, but not a show-stopper if it shits the bed. Overall, I like it.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
OP: http://www.salimbeti.com/aviation/helmets.htm ... some cool stuff in that collection.

Eh... Like I said, some guys dig it. Other guys with a ton of green ink in the -60 didn't find it necessary. Perhaps helpful with all but some minimal symbology turned off, but nowhere near a NO GO criteria. This was actually a major topic of discussion when we were trying to get our HUDs online and installed.

I know you guys have to brandish the patch every so often, but you do realize how silly these comments sound right now.

I can split the thread if we need to.

To your point: I'm not sure what you mean by silly. It's nice to have options, especially when you are low and have some knots on. My colleague participating in the testing likes having his torques and attitude on the strafing runs. There is a video somewhere of a cobra crashing on a low altitude strafe pullout that I'm sure most of us have seen ... and those guys do it for a living. Now imagine a guy shooting FFW (training or in anger) who has about 10 other jobs we have told him to be proficient at, and now you have a solid argument to providing whatever he wants to improve his SA.

I've always thought it weird that I'm supposed to sell people on the virtues of a HUD that they can only use at night. It makes much more sense to me to have it available around the clock. More folks might find it useful if it was part of their scan regardless of the time of day.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
How often does your aircraft strafe? I'm aware of your door gunners as well as some A/G missiles - but forward firing strafe runs? Wasn't aware of that capability.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
How often does your aircraft strafe? I'm aware of your door gunners as well as some A/G missiles - but forward firing strafe runs? Wasn't aware of that capability.
M197 in final testing right now. Deploys with two HSC (CVW) squadrons this summer/fall. Unguided rockets also part of the program, though slightly further behind the gun. All in a "rapid response to urgent needs." We are essentially robbing/adapting tactics from the HMLA community, in particular the UH side, to get the program off the ground.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
M197 in final testing right now. Deploys with two HSC (CVW) squadrons this summer/fall.

No kidding? Big Navy is actually going to pony up the dough to fund the ammo NCEA to shoot this thing?

Unguided rockets also part of the program, though slightly further behind the gun. All in a "rapid response to urgent needs." We are essentially robbing/adapting tactics from the HMLA community, in particular the UH side, to get the program off the ground.

Funny, seems to me HAL back in the day was pretty good at doing that, too bad those capabilities got shelved back when the Huey went away in the Navy.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
No kidding? Big Navy is actually going to pony up the dough to fund the ammo NCEA to shoot this thing?

Funny, seems to me HAL back in the day was pretty good at doing that, too bad those capabilities got shelved back when the Huey went away in the Navy.
That is the classic problem -- relearning lessons already learned, though HAL wasn't quite as constrained as we are by NavAir approval/acquisitions. At least we were smart enough to talk to te current Huey experts for TTP inputs!

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
M197 in final testing right now. Deploys with two HSC (CVW) squadrons this summer/fall. Unguided rockets also part of the program, though slightly further behind the gun. All in a "rapid response to urgent needs." We are essentially robbing/adapting tactics from the HMLA community, in particular the UH side, to get the program off the ground.

Don't read anything snarky into this - it's a legit question: Who's going to train you guys to employ at a proficiency level high enough to convince CAGs?