• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another helo vs the world thread (moved from helmets)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Has that ever been in any FRS's charter? Genuine question. I've seen my community's FRS always preach "we don't teach tactics".

Yet as an ECMO they covered a lot of tactics for the back seat in all the sims. To make it simply a button mashing exercise would have been pretty boring.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
Has that ever been in any FRS's charter? Genuine question. I've seen my community's FRS always preach "we don't teach tactics".

I believe it's universal for ACTC, but it is certainly true for rotary, that the FRS trains the student as a Level 100. That's not to say that the FRS is any good at it (from the top rope :)), or that they like it. That being said, on the HSC side, there is an effort to preserve another practice (carried over from HS-10) which is to refocus tactics flights for Cat others which ultimately yields a fleet returnee that arrives to threir new squadron tactically qualified.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Yet as an ECMO they covered a lot of tactics for the back seat in all the sims. To make it simply a button mashing exercise would have been pretty boring.

To be fair, there were a lot of things we called "tactics", to include an entire phase for you guys, that wasn't actually much more than learning how to use the aircraft systems (mash buttons).

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

In HS/HSC world you get an intro to 'tactics' for ASW and TERF flying.
For ASW you have a week long school, about 10-12 sims, a couple of flights and a torp drop.
For TERF flying you have a week long school and two day and two night flights
You will do 1 or two VERTREP flights.
You get beat over the head with SAR procedures in the aircraft, but very little of the 'tactics' for planning larger SAR missions.

You got into the pubs and had some exposure to the flying. Once you get to your fleet squadron your training would really being.
But the FRS is mostly focused on getting you your NATOPS check (no tactics except SAR proceedures), Instrument Check, and a few Training and Readiness 'quals' like small deck landings, trop drop (if going to ASW squadron), VertRep, NVG overwater, and NVG overland.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
To be fair, there were a lot of things we called "tactics", to include an entire phase for you guys, that wasn't actually much more than learning how to use the aircraft systems (mash buttons).

True enough maybe compared to later but my trip through the RAG as a CAT I was 1988 so my impressions may not be current. At the time, they threw some interesting stuff at you and the RAG class project was a carrier based strike plan.

hscs

pilot
on the HSC side, there is an effort to preserve another practice (carried over from HS-10) which is to refocus tactics flights for Cat others which ultimately yields a fleet returnee that arrives to threir new squadron tactically qualified.

This is a good thing - otherwise, the operational squadron will spend time qualifying their incoming CO/XO/DHs at the expense of the JOs.

Pags

N/A
pilot
This is a good thing - otherwise, the operational squadron will spend time qualifying their incoming CO/XO/DHs at the expense of the JOs.
My old squadron spent a lot of time and effort to train DHs especially since only a handful had any prior tactical quals. Cutting down on this would be very good.