• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Another call to "bring back S-3's" (Vikings are Zombies)

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Constitution is a "living museum" at best. Except for her annual 'turnaround' trip out into Boston Harbor, she just stays tied to the pier and needs to do nothing more strenuous than look good for the public. Even then, she needs constant repair and spells in dry dock.
ryan_drydock2_met-001.jpg

Working ships and aircraft get worked hard. There's a big difference between being preserved and being ready to work. At this point trying to bring back the S-3s would be sort of like leaving your lawnmower outside in all weather for ten years, with no more maintenance than an annual coat of Rustoleum, and then expecting to get it up and running for a lawn care service.

My goal is to be SECNAV some day and order the Constitution to sail to the British Isles and raid British shipping. I'll leave it up to the CO to decide if the diplomatic situation is better served by offering public tours when they arrive.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This. My short bulleted list of follow-on questions:
  • Who is doing the I-level maintenance, and how much will it cost to qualify enough people to maintain S-3s?
  • Who is doing the D-level maintenance, and how much will it cost to qualify enough people to maintain S-3s?
  • What S-3 skillset still exists in the O-level maintainers we have, and how much of it can be trained? And how much does Big Navy need to re-learn because the corporate knowledge is flat-out gone?
  • Who is going to rewrite the TACMEMO and other pubs to decide how the S-3 fits into the air wing, and how do you make sure they know what the hell they're talking about?
  • Who is going to man the FRS and weapons school? Are there any Level V-quality S-3 bubbas left, or has our seed corn rotted? If the latter, who is going to train new Hoov aircrew to employ their jet? Do we need to talk to CNRFC about bringing former S-3 SELRES back temporarily? Is that even feasible? Involuntary MOBs with no nexus to OCO fall under 12304(b) authorities and need to be POMed. So congrats, you're officially two years behind the power curve unless people are willing to volunteer.
  • Where are they going to be based? Are Jax and NASNI valid options, or has life moved on? How many squadrons do we need, and how much ramp space/hangar space do they take up?
  • What GSE requirements are there, and how do you fill that without robbing Peter to pay Paul? What other IMRL gear is necessary to maintain S-3s, and where do you find it? Has the Navy junked it all already or not?
  • For that matter, TACMEMO aside, how do they integrate into a modern CV? Where is their ready room going to be? Do the boats have enough spaces to absorb the O-level MX shops for a completely separate T/M/S? How do you man CV AIMD to support another non-Hornet/Hawkeye/Seahawk airframe? As a Prowler guy, I remember my ADs working port and starboard to rebuild a FODed motor because AIMD apparently didn't have any J-52 people.
  • How will boards view people who get transitioned (or re-transitioned back) into the VS community, and how do you massage that to keep it a going concern?
You can kick the tires on boneyard Hoovs all you want, but that's a minimum of shit you need to worry about to resurrect the Hoov community, officer and enlisted . . . and I'm just a bored SELRES hinge who didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
It is all a matter of necessity and commitment. IF the Navy thought that VS brought value to the fleet it is either bring on a new platform or bring back the War Hoover. In either case all the above will cost money. You all talk like these considerations would be unique to resurrecting the S-3. Not true at all. The issue is not the cost. It is the Navy not seeing a need for VS worthy of the cost. Debate that if you will. Don't try and tell me the cost of bringing S-3s back is is the deal breaker. It would be much cheaper than a new platform. But no one in Big Navy wants VS at any cost.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is all a matter of necessity and commitment. IF the Navy thought that VS brought value to the fleet it is either bring on a new platform or bring back the War Hoover. In either case all the above will cost money. You all talk like these considerations would be unique to resurrecting the S-3. Not true at all. The issue is not the cost. It is the Navy not seeing a need for VS worthy of the cost. Debate that if you will. Don't try and tell me the cost of bringing S-3s back is is the deal breaker. It would be much cheaper than a new platform. But no one in Big Navy wants VS at any cost.
It’s not just the cost. It’s the cost/benefit analysis over time. We have some great folks dedicated to analyzing that for any of these situations. I trust them to do a better job than we will here.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It’s not just the cost. It’s the cost/benefit analysis over time. We have some great folks dedicated to analyzing that for any of these situations. I trust them to do a better job than we will here.
Of course, total life cycle must be taken into account. A newer platform will cost more but last longer. None of this is my point. This won't happen because there is no will inside of the Navy for VS. This bit that it will cost too much to stand up a RAG and buy/develop support is simply not determinant. Those same cost will be encountered with a new platform. What is determinant is that the Navy does not want VS and it doesn't matter whether a zombie S-3 or something else. THAT is debatable. I don't think anyone here is serious about bringing back the S-3.

As to trusting a decision like bringing back the S-3, or the VS Navy at all, to smarter more informed people than us is a laugh. All those experts you think are making a sound decision on VS are the same people that have led to so much bitching on these pages about how messed up the navy and aviation is. You can't tell me you are happy with acquisition, budget allotments, and any number of decisions we leave to smart guys.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
All those experts you think are making a sound decision on VS are the same people that have led to so much bitching on these pages about how messed up the navy and aviation is. You can't tell me you are happy with acquisition, budget allotments, and any number of decisions we leave to smart guys.

I think you overestimate the level to which I'm ascribing the quality of decision making. I'm not talking about an O-7+ with a Master's in Global Security Studies that is making the ultimate decision with X number of Congress-critters interjecting their opinions. I'm talking about the pro analysts doing the real analytic work at places like N81. We can talk all we want about what the bosses do with that info, but I'll stand by my assertion that the quality of analysis that the decision makers get from their subordinates is better than what we'll accomplish here. Disclaimer- not now or ever an N81 guy, just an interested observer in the quality of analytic product.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think you overestimate the level to which I'm ascribing the quality of decision making. I'm not talking about an O-7+ with a Master's in Global Security Studies that is making the ultimate decision with X number of Congress-critters interjecting their opinions. I'm talking about the pro analysts doing the real analytic work at places like N81. We can talk all we want about what the bosses do with that info, but I'll stand by my assertion that the quality of analysis that the decision makers get from their subordinates is better than what we'll accomplish here. Disclaimer- not now or ever an N81 guy, just an interested observer in the quality of analytic product.
I am not even suggesting that whoever is authoring the analysis is getting the zombie S-3 wrong. I am suggesting that maybe the lack of interest in reintroducing VS is flawed.

I was a member of the west coast VS augment unit when it was disestablished. You would think that was a well staffed and analyzed move. As it turned out, it happened by mistake. A miscommunication they explained. In the very next FY they tried to bring it back. It took a few years before they could fit it back in the budget, but VS Reserve Augment came back until the very end of the S-3. Even the best make mistakes, misjudge and miscommunicate. I don't care if they are pro analysts or some FO, which will make the final decision.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
What would it take to bring back the Viking as an optionally manned KS-3 aerial tanker?
Less work than bringing the MQ-25 to Fleet Ops.

CQing new KS-3 pilots will cost more than the entire MQ-25 program over each of their lifetimes. Optional manning doesn't buy much. The benefit of a UAS is that you don't have to put all of the human stuff in the airplane.

I'm not saying that the Navy is right in relegating what should be a premier weapons system to tanker duty. But at the end of the day, there is something to be said about knowing that your recovery tanker will land on the first pass, every time, day or night, in bad weather, no matter how long it's been airborne. And if for some reason it can't get airborne, there isn't some poor bastard stuck thinking about ejecting next to the boat and hoping everyone is on their game that night. An MQ-25 could become consumable if it means nursing a sick airplane back to the beach. There is something to be said about that too.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
But at the end of the day, there is something to be said about knowing that your recovery tanker will land on the first pass, every time, day or night, in bad weather, no matter how long it's been airborne.

Meth is bad mmkay.