• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Annoying Pilots

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
^You should make all the Japanese guys use 'Parallelagram XXX' for their callsign.

No one is worse on the radio than NATO AWACS. *shudders* I thought my brain was addled until I heard those guys on the net. It's a shame, too, because they're a freaking blast to party with, and a bunch of super smart folks. It's that whole non-native speaker thing that gets them.

Mango

pilot
My personal pet peeve is the need to repeat every single word that ATC says. Seems to be more pronounced in the Army than the Nav. A roger or wilco (used appropriately) can usually suffice.

The old formation flight briefing comes to mind.
Lead to wing: "There are only 3 calls I should hear from you: 'Bingo', 'two', and 'Lead, you're on fire.'"

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I heard things like "Hook 21 with the flash" a lot at Vance. They seemed to like it. They also like scarves...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
comms. less is more.
That is correct ... and coming from one of our more wizened NFO's, as well .... all of you NFO's and NFO STUDs should pay attention.

Another learning trick towards comm brevity --- check into the squadron and become the LSO. We -- LSO's -- put a premium on brevity and clarity .... the reasons are obvious .... :)

lsoforever12hd3.jpg

hooflys

pilot
Contributor
Working on my private license a few years ago I was approaching the practice area in the mighty C-152 with my instructor, asked if there was any traffic in the area and a guy comes back with, "uhh, yeah, Piper xxx, 5000ft, to the left of Rio Verde Road."

Thinking back, I wish I had some popcorn as I listened to my instructor tear into the guy.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Working on my private license a few years ago I was approaching the practice area in the mighty C-152 with my instructor, asked if there was any traffic in the area and a guy comes back with, "uhh, yeah, Piper xxx, 5000ft, to the left of Rio Verde Road."

Thinking back, I wish I had some popcorn as I listened to my instructor tear into the guy.

obviously you were supposed to convert that into a cardinal direction knowing his cruising altitude, AIM/FAA standards, and the orientation or Rio Verde Road.....gosh....student pilots these days :icon_tong

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
To me, "with a flash" is appropriate when given a heading/altitude change direction AND an ident request in the same instruction.
"Password 24, continue to 4,000 and ident"
-"Password 24 up to 4,000 with a flash" I agree that it's not necessary but it gives me the warm and fuzzy that the controller knows I'm pressing that little "ident" button. When you fly an aircraft where it doesn't always work, it's nice to know that you and the controller are on the same page at least.

My co-pilot pet peeves are numerous. For one, some folks try to start off a long spiel without a courtesy call. How is the controller supposed to be copying any of that when he/she's still trying to figure out who's calling. This typically happens coming VFR to IFR (e.g., from the boat). Second, some co-pilots don't understand that heading/altitude changes are to be read back, but not all the other gibber jabbish. It seems that the same person will "roger" up a heading change but then read back verbatim some other instruction. Ugh.

Oh yeah, and helicopters talk wayyyyy too much, especially at North Island.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My personal pet peeve is the need to repeat every single word that ATC says. Seems to be more pronounced in the Army than the Nav. A roger or wilco (used appropriately) can usually suffice.

The old formation flight briefing comes to mind.
Lead to wing: "There are only 3 calls I should hear from you: 'Bingo', 'two', and 'Lead, you're on fire.'"

No, no, no. You got it all wrong. It's 'two', 'you're on fire', and I've got the fat chick. :D

Brett