• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Annoying Pilots

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Lots of words about flashing people...

I'd have to go dig through the AIM, but I thought I remembered that the acknowledge of the ident was not required. Seems like that started in Primary and continued on through my career.

Personally, Kmac, I do the same. If there's a long dissertation of stuff I'm supposed to do, I'll throw it in there so he knows I know, otherwise it's ZIPLIP.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ergo, post #5 (above), item #1 ....

I understand, but "deciding" to do something "years ago" doesn't mean that's what the book answer is. Just giving perspective. You just happened to have that enlightened perspective/knowledge earlier than most of us.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I understand, but "deciding" to do something "years ago" doesn't mean that's what the book answer is. Just giving perspective. You just happened to have that enlightened perspective/knowledge earlier than most of us.
ACTUALLY ... I was informed of the error of my ways by one of the first of the really, REALLY crusty, cranky, crotchety 747 Captains that I flew with ... I KNOW the picture of a 747 Captain like that is hard for some of you to conjure up ... but he corrected many of my misunderstandings re: comm procedures that had ALSO been ingrained into my fuzzy young(er) head (many incorrectly) from good 'ol UNCLE while serving in Big Blue ... :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So was the FAR/AIM written on papyrus back then? Sorry. when YOU talk about crusty 747 captains, I couldn't resist.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
PLUS ... someone needs to do something about the title of this thread.

The words "annoying" and "pilots" are seldom, if ever, seen juxtaposed in content or thought; let alone uttered in the same breath ... :eek:

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
PLUS ... someone needs to do something about the title of this thread.

The words "annoying" and "pilots" are seldom, if ever, seen juxtaposed in content or thought; let alone uttered in the same breath ... :eek:

If they are "juxtaposed" the phrase "AIR FORCE" is usually in between

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
I'm guessing that most of the current military pilots in here don't do a whole lot of local area VFR flying. Probably more IFR I'm guessing. In San Diego we have a freq for local area pilot to pilot comms, an advisory freq so you can give a position report and get the same. More often than not, when I am trying to participate on this freq and listen to the other 4 radios, I have to shut it off. It gets to be nothing more than folks that sound like they really just want to run their suck. It's 122.75 VHF if anybody in the San Diego area wants to torture themselves.

Many of the military VFR helo guys flying to the east part of the county seem to broadcast on 123.10, a frequency we often use helo to helo. They and the border patrol seem to be squared away and give a brief yet inclusive position report. Like a breath of fresh air.

Slightly off topic here but does anybody fly out of Pendleton? I got called on guard the other day by Longrifle for being probably about 200 yards inside the restricted area just north of Fallbrook. He was all over me like a cheap suit. Who's the meathead now? That would be me. I was in the wrong and answered up on guard in a humble tone. I told him we were ridding the area of a green leafy substance (marijuana) and begged forgiveness. He gave me a squawk code and all was kosher. Had I known I was getting that close I would have just called.

"Longrifle this is Sheriff's helicopter ASTREA 2. I am flying a McDonnell Douglas MD-530F helicopter today squawking 1200 about 7.5 northeast of the airport at 1500 feet. Two souls on board and 2+00 in gas. I was just wondering blah, blah, blah...Oh, I'm sorry. I thought I was the only one who needed to talk on this frequency. There are other pilots out there. Oops. Anyway, here comes the flash..."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm guessing that most of the current military pilots in here don't do a whole lot of local area VFR flying. Probably more IFR I'm guessing. In San Diego we have a freq for local area pilot to pilot comms, an advisory freq so you can give a position report and get the same. More often than not, when I am trying to participate on this freq and listen to the other 4 radios, I have to shut it off. It gets to be nothing more than folks that sound like they really just want to run their suck. It's 122.75 VHF if anybody in the San Diego area wants to torture themselves.

This reminds me of the CTAF we had for the different islands in HI. Occasional random calls, often times in pigeon, but it was good to have up. Local SOP was to be up one of the CTAFs when not talking to some kind of ATC. We'd usually go booming through the horseshoe on Molokai and occasionally run into one of the A-Stars w/ a bunch of fat tourists onboard. We'd make our call and usually not hear anything. Whatever. At one point, we got an angry call from one of the tour companies telling us that we NEEDED to be up the CTAF. When it was explained that we monitored the freq as per the FAA Island guide book thingy, he told us we were wrong. If you want us up a freq, just tell us, but don't be a douche. After that, we changed our comm cards and I even got a "Thanks for monitoring this freq..." from one of the tour guys.

Definitely a case of "this is how we always have done it" but not actually checking w/ the actual authorities.

Crowbar

None
For SNFOs, since you don't actually fly...how you sound on the radios is part of your professional reputation.

Tape yourself sometime on a flight. We do it in the fleet with HUD tapes and critique ourselves, so it's a valid learning tool.

For those of you that don't know, you can go to http://liveatc.net and try to find yourselves in the archives. Pensacola is one of the areas that they have scanners set up for, so if you know roughly what time you were flying you can go to that date and save the audio file to listen to it. The limitations are: 1) Archives are only kept for 30 days, 2) It's a scanner setup so you may end up just catching bits and pieces of conversations, and 3) The last time I listened, they had no UHF capabilities. Which, if you're like the FOs, when you go to Pensacola Regional you talk on VHF anyway. So on your next flight, do something at Regional and make your donkeyed up calls on VHF then come home and listen to it.

I've plundered around before trying to hear myself, just to make sure I don't sound like a raging dipshit. Luckily my super smooth DJ voice keeps me out of trouble most of the time...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For those of you that don't know, you can go to http://liveatc.net and try to find yourselves in the archives. Pensacola is one of the areas that they have scanners set up for, so if you know roughly what time you were flying you can go to that date and save the audio file to listen to it. The limitations are: 1) Archives are only kept for 30 days, 2) It's a scanner setup so you may end up just catching bits and pieces of conversations, and 3) The last time I listened, they had no UHF capabilities. Which, if you're like the FOs, when you go to Pensacola Regional you talk on VHF anyway. So on your next flight, do something at Regional and make your donkeyed up calls on VHF then come home and listen to it.

I've plundered around before trying to hear myself, just to make sure I don't sound like a raging dipshit. Luckily my super smooth DJ voice keeps me out of trouble most of the time...

Actual pic of CB before his Marine Corps days:
wolfman-jack-sized.jpg

Brett