• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Am i getting my leg pulled or is this legit?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
If the air force seems to offer a better deal, then the clear answer will show itself

I'd recommend, based off the age thing and also having seen both Navy and AF. I believe the age limits for the Navy is 32, the AF is 33 (waiverable to 35).

Air Force Guard/Reserve
Navy Active/Air Force active
Army Warrant

The Navy/AF active is switchable based off what you want to fly. If you absolutely want to fly fixed wing, go AF as the odds are much better.

exNavyOffRec

My other best option would be the Air Force since they're age cap is 33. I'm probably going to speak to my OSO and basically figure out whether or not they are serious about sending me back to OCS. Is this a good idea?
Active AF pilot spots via OTS are few and far between, priority is USAFA then AFROTC, and if anything left over then OTS so they get to cherry pick the ones they want.

davidc1220

I'd recommend, based off the age thing and also having seen both Navy and AF. I believe the age limits for the Navy is 32, the AF is 33 (waiverable to 35).

Air Force Guard/Reserve
Navy Active/Air Force active
Army Warrant

The Navy/AF active is switchable based off what you want to fly. If you absolutely want to fly fixed wing, go AF as the odds are much better.
Navy wouldn't seem like a bad option either, I'd have to look into it a little more but who knows

exNavyOffRec

So even if I was to go AF as OTS, its still a hard slim chance of getting a slot?
The AF recruiter who recruited officers that I would see at career fairs said if he had spots for flying it was for the guys in the back of the plane, but more often he had spots for engineers and guys in the missile silos, he had guys he had been working with for 2 years waiting for a spot to open up (board),

davidc1220

Sounds like either way, its an uphill battle. I read somewhere and correct me if I'm wrong, do I have to be commissioned before 28 for USMC or in flight school before 28. I also was looking up and saw AF slots are getting smaller due to too many people going in

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Go ask an Air Force officer recruiter. Anything else is just speculation from the peanut gallery.

RoarkJr.

Sounds like either way, its an uphill battle. I read somewhere and correct me if I'm wrong, do I have to be commissioned before 28 for USMC or in flight school before 28. I also was looking up and saw AF slots are getting smaller due to too many people going in
Should be “commission by” date. But it sounds like you’d regret not going USMC. 2 years should be plenty of time to get PFT up a bit and go to OCS. If not you’re still in the age window for another branch.

davidc1220

Spoke with the Air Force, due to my Drop waiver that would be needed, my chances of even getting looked at the board are slim to none for OTS application, so that was that

davidc1220

Should be “commission by” date. But it sounds like you’d regret not going USMC. 2 years should be plenty of time to get PFT up a bit and go to OCS. If not you’re still in the age window for another branch.
True i would have a little bit of regret but still trying to not to pigeonhole myself all the way even though it sounds like it

davidc1220

So I sat on a zoom call with multiple USMC Pilots. Based on what they said, the best way to get back to OCS in my situation is to just go for the air contract and result to the Ground contract only if there is no air available and try and compete for one at TBS, which although is difficult, it'll keep me active if there is no way to get into aviation. I'd still be able to do something along the lines of intelligence or Aviation related, both of which would still be rewarding careers.

After talking to them, they kind of gave me hope in this and reassured me that nothing is impossible and that if I wanted Marine Aviation to not let anything stand in the way of that. Also gave some pointers that drones are future of Military Aviation.

PMPT

a crucial question is: what do you want to fly?

if you want to fly helos or tilt, I suppose there isn't much to be lost by being a Marine. Although I'd argue that Navy helos is still a pretty cool life, even if you aren't going to be a light attack guy. Army has lots of helo aviation and seems to continue to have deployments to places where you're flying real life missions vs just doing some training.

I won't lie that I feel great pride on November 10 every year, and feel tremendous pride at other times when I get reminded of the great legacy I have inherited as a Marine aviator. But the Air wing is not like the rest of the Marine Corps and, while I love flying jets, I very often find that I don't feel much like what I thought a Marine officer would be. Which sort of makes sense - we are pilots and our aircraft is our weapon. We aren't out in the mud with rifles and the boys because that simply isn't our job. My point here is that if you want to join the Corps because you desperately want to be and feel like a Marine, be aware that the air wing is not the Marine Corps you probably picture in your mind right now. Again, that's no slight against the professionals we have working downstairs fixing our jets and loading them up with weapons - it's just that the flying side of the house has alot more in common with the USN or USAF than we do with our victor unit brethren by nature of the job (cultural differences aside). If you want to be a pilot as much as or more than you want to be a Marine, especially if you want to fly fixed wing, I think you would do well to look at USN or USAF. Even the Army.

additionally, if your PFT sucks, the reality is that this is really the principal means by which boards seem to sort the wheat from the chaff. I know the numbers ebb and flow, but my personal experience was that you really needed a 285+ PFT to be considered a competitive guy or girl for OCS. DM me if you want to talk in further detail. I would advise that you should be careful not to let pride get too much in the way of clear-headed analysis of the situation and your desired outcome ... at the end of the day, if you piss it away and end up not becoming a military pilot, I'm pretty sure "well at least I didn't quit applying" isn't going to be a very good consolation when you could just as easily be sporting wings of gold in a Navy dress uniform (as an example). Sometimes the stars just don't align and you are making the rational decision by cutting or minimizing your losses and maximizing your gain elsewhere. At the end of the day noone is going to care but you, so don't let your thoughts be too clouded by concern about the potential opinions of other people...

davidc1220

True. Currently the plan i have set is that an OSO over where I am is giving me 3 months to prepare for the Winter school. If for whatever reason, the cards just don't work, I will apply for the National Guard and continue my pursuits that way. If that doesn't happen, I will pursue the United Aviation program.

I've always wanted to fly and be a Marine but sometimes beggars cant be choosers. These 3 months are going to be hardworking and tough, but he is fixing to help me and I dont want to turn away a lending hand. We just have to wait and see what happens, but at the end, it's up to me.