• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airsickness problems

KBayDog

AllAmerican75 said:
Hey I got a question about the Turbo Weenie. I've seen some pictures of guys flying in formation and it seems as if the canopy open; I'm assuming it slides back, like the warplanes of WWII. Is there any truth to this or are my eyes deceiving me?

It does, indeed, slide back. If you are flying with the canopy open, though, you've got problems. (You'll do a flight or two during FAMs in which you have to pop the canopy to experience just how fun it is to fly in a 100kt wind tunnel.)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I used to fly in t-34 Bravos pretty often and I almost always kept the canopy back. It really helps with air-sickness and the cockpit gets pretty dag on hot with all that glass around you. Had a buddy loose his expensive sun glasses during a loop with the canopy open... Are you not allowed to pull the canopy back to get some air in primary? It seems that even a 6 inch crack would go along way in keeping your "air legs"

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
I used to fly in t-34 Bravos pretty often and I almost always kept the canopy back. It really helps with air-sickness and the cockpit gets pretty dag on hot with all that glass around you. Had a buddy loose his expensive sun glasses during a loop with the canopy open... Are you not allowed to pull the canopy back to get some air in primary? It seems that even a 6 inch crack would go along way in keeping your "air legs"
It's noisy and disruptive. I don't recall, but I'd be surprised if there weren't SOP restrictions against it except for syllabus events and emergencies.

Brett

Pags

N/A
pilot
I've flown in a -34B with the canopy open, but never in the -34C with it open. I don't remember seeing anything in the SOPs or NATOPs about not flying with it open, but it's been awhile.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The problem is that you a) breath in a bunch of hot gas exhaust because the stacks are right at shoulder level and b) you can't crack open the canopy because it does some weird aerodynamic thing where it wants to open depending on whether the back is open.

I don't doubt opening the canopy in the Bravo was nice (as it was in a Grumman Traveller/Tiger), but the different engine, you just don't want to do it, no matter how good or bad the ECS is working that day.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I couldn't find it in my old pubs, but it seems like we were prohibited from flying with the canopy open. We did it once during Fam 10 (typically) as part of a simulated Smoke/Fume elimination EP. By that time we had already put our O2 masks on. I thought it was great fun. Flew the entire PEL pattern to a touch and go with an open canopy. Wish I could have done it more. As I recall, though, the idea of opening it a few inches is pretty impractical. It seemed like it took very little force to open it all the way, but a lot more force to close it while moving. Flying forms with it open would make a great photo (you'd just have to hide it well since in-flight photography IS prohibited by CNATRA).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A) T-34C engine exhaust stacks put the exhaust directly in your cockpit with cockpit open.

B) T-34C has ECS

C) Check your NATOPS T-34C guys, but I believe there was no restriction on canopy open flying, so long as you had your O2 mask on and operating.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
The picture was old and in Black & White, so I'm guessing it might not be a T-34C, maybe a B model.

Easy way to tell is the engine cowling. If it is long, skinny, and has exhaust stacks horizontal, it is a T-34C. If it is more blunt and the exaust pipes are on the bottom, it is a T-34B or T-34A.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Oh, thanks for the info. I don't personally have the photo in my posession, and it's been a while since I've seen it. I remember seeing it in an old book, circa late 1970s-early 1980s about Naval Aviation, so I can't tell you whether or not it was a B or C model. All I remember was thinking that it was pretty bad ass to fly around with the canopy open.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
If it was from the 70's its possible it was a -34B. USNA flying club has two of them, at least they did when I was there... and yes it is bad ass.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I flew bravo models with my dad out of Norfolk NAS flying club back in the 90's. It was by far the most fun flying I have done yet. I would slide the canopy open every once in awhile.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sure there are stories about crew accidentally opening the canopy.

Here's one from VT-10...An SNFO had put his PCL up on the side of the rear glareshield in the T-34C, inflight when he went to retrieve it, the velcro closure on his flight suit sleeve (at the wrist) hooked the canopy handle and...BAM the canopy slid back and opened almost as if under it's own power.

Paper flying all over lots of noise. IP was a bit apprehensive at first as he had no idea what had happened. But the SNFO, got it closed okay and fessed up. No harm, no foul.

r/
G