• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airsickness problems

Snacks

Everyone leave, I have to poop. NOW!!!
Anybody know of any good tricks to stiffle airsickness? I've already gone through the meds, which worked, and next stop is the chair. I've tried eating before flying, chewing gum, ginger root pills, and ginger snaps, and none of those seemed to work. Never had problems before in other aircraft. Guess it's something to do with the Turbo Weenie.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Try eating something really heavy like a big juicy burger. I'm not kidding, it worked for me when I was going through your same situation. One of the contributing factors to nausea is a lack of energy, so the burger should do the trick. Subway sandwiches work great too. You need to eat a lot though, it's the only way you'll keep your energy up to fight off the nausea. Also, if you're doing a low-level like a vnav flight or something else really bumpy down low, try sipping on the O2 mask from time to time. When you feel the slightest bit queasy, just hold it up to your face for a little while until the nausea goes away. Just hook that mask bracket hose clip to your SV-2 so it will hang down in front of you while you fly so you can grab it easy. You'll get over it man, trust me. I did. Might hit you a little bit again during PA's, but you should be used to it by then. Good luck, and don't sweat it man.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Turbo weenie? Nah... certain winged gentlemen have been known to spew even in the Super Hornet... just know that it goes away, and it's very much an acquired feeling.

My roommate in primary was a Whiting SNA... he puked 3 times on his first flight and twice on his second... by his fourth flight, he just felt like sh!t and didn't throw up at all :)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Make sure you are hydrated.

I puked twice my first flight. IP was laughing his a$$ off...ha ha. He later told me he puked for each of his first 7 flights. I only puked once in the subsequent 12 years or so of flying...and that was doing FCLPs....including some pretty neat BFMs and red air stuff at Fallon.

For some folks it is a learned experience...the more you experience the sensations which lead to puking the better your body gets at adapting to them.

I would not try mulitple treatments WRT the meds and herbal stuff at the same time. Careful about the herbal stuff as nearly everything is forbidden for bag wearers.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
wiseguy04 said:
Also, if you're doing a low-level like a vnav flight or something else really bumpy down low, try sipping on the O2 mask from time to time.

100% O2 is your friend. I only got queasy twice in the T-34, and both times, sucking O2 for a couple minutes made it all better. When you're feeling like shit and the IP still makes you fly at the controls, that's for your benefit. It actually helps. If you're just a passenger, you're much more likely to get sicker. You'll feel the same with pulling Gs. I did a TacForm flight, pulled about 6.5, no problem. Trunked one right after, at 3.5 I was graying out... all because I wasn't at the controls. Weird.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
100% O2 is your friend.
Question: I was under the impression that actualy, bonafied 100% O2 was like poison? Is 100% O2 really that, or is it a the highest on the allowable mixture settings or something?

Thanks.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddie said:
Question: I was under the impression that actualy, bonafied 100% O2 was like poison? Is 100% O2 really that, or is it a the highest on the allowable mixture settings or something?

Thanks.

I breathe 99% O2 on a daily basis in the T-45, 1.2-1.5 hours at a time.

100% O2 can lead to problems if you get contaminated (i.e. nitrogen) up at altitude. You'll get issues with decompression and such.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
100% O2 can lead to problems if you get contaminated (i.e. nitrogen) up at altitude. You'll get issues with decompression and such.
Hadn't thought about nitrogen issues at altitude... learn something every day around here. :D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddie said:
Hadn't thought about nitrogen issues at altitude... learn something every day around here. :D

The T-34 uses bottled O2, and the system automatically mixes the 100% with ambient air to create a proper oxygen mix. You have the option of going 100% with the flick of a switch. The T-45 is an OBOGS system and we breathe 99% all the time.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only problem I found with breathing OBOGS or LOX all day (F-14 thing) is you get 100% O2 in your inner ear when you clear your ears as you descend. If you hit the rack at night soon after a long flight, the O2 is slowly absorbed by the body (your inner ear).

Ever wake up and feel like you needed to clear your ears real bad. Then when you did it, it went ...sqeak...ahhhh...

Riddle me that one? Anyone else experience this?

r/
G

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg said:
Only problem I found with breathing OBOGS or LOX all day (F-14 thing) is you get 100% O2 in your inner ear when you clear your ears as you descend. If you hit the rack at night soon after a long flight, the O2 is slowly absorbed by the body (your inner ear).

Ever wake up and feel like you needed to clear your ears real bad. Then when you did it, it went ...sqeak...ahhhh...

Riddle me that one? Anyone else expereince this?

r/
G
Yeah, I get that and I think it's pretty common. I heard one of the physiologists refer to it as the night squeeze.

Brett

Jedj

I think the vast majority of people overcome airsickness by sheer acclimation. Try ginger capsules vice chewing on ginger root. Stay hydrated and all that good stuff, but a big part of it is mental. Especially if it happens more than once or twice. I know it is easier said than done but really try not to think about it when you are flying, because once the seed is planted in your head, the body is not far behind. But dont think that if you puke in the prop trainer that you cant be a tacair or helo guy or whatever. Just trust that you will get used to it and it will go away. My first flight in the 34 made me sicker than I care to remember, but after a while you could BFM twice a day and eat a quarter pounder in the pits between flights and be fine. Biggest thing to take away, dont get discouraged by it. I would say that at one time or another it happens to the majority of people. Good luck.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First flight ever as a stash Ensign in VF-43 was in a TA-4J. I didn't know I was on the scheulde until after we'd eaten the Mongolian Ghoulash special at the Oceana O'Club.

Flight went great...no hookah.

I'd say eat a meal before you fly...dry heaves suck.

I think it really is mental, unless you have an inner ear problem. Keep at it.

r/
G