• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airsickness problems

KBayDog

Brett327 said:
I heard one of the physiologists refer to it as the night squeeze.

There are so many different ways I could go with this line...

...but in the interest of keeping this thread on track, I won't. What I will say is not to go high and to the right with all kinds of "treatments" for a common ailment. Keep doing all the right things - hydration, food, sleep, O2, etc. If you have to go to the chair, go to the chair. If you can't get over it alone, have the flight doc earn his pay. You'll get over the sickness eventually, like dawson said. Don't lose faith.

What you don't want to happen is to get mentally dependant on 'superstitious' treatments, like eating the exact same meal 31 minutes before you launch, or wearing motion-sickness wristbands, or drinking 8.27oz of ginger ale before each hop, etc. It's easy to develop a routine during Fams, but later on in training the schedule becomes a little more "flex." Someday, you'll eat your meal, then the weather will roll in, and you'll launch two or three hours later. All of a sudden, since your routine is off, you will be more focused on worrying about getting sick than the task at hand.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Yeah, I get that and I think it's pretty common. I heard one of the physiologists refer to it as the night squeeze.

Brett

Mmmmmm......night squeeze..... (a la Homer simpson)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg said:
Only problem I found with breathing OBOGS or LOX all day (F-14 thing) is you get 100% O2 in your inner ear when you clear your ears as you descend. If you hit the rack at night soon after a long flight, the O2 is slowly absorbed by the body (your inner ear).

Ever wake up and feel like you needed to clear your ears real bad. Then when you did it, it went ...sqeak...ahhhh...

Riddle me that one? Anyone else experience this?

r/
G

Yep, always sounds funny too.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
There are so many different ways I could go with this line...
Hey, for all you guys know, it was a chick. :D On that note, I wonder if you could get NPQ'd for a "technique" issue, or maybe a different kind of anthro? ;)

Brett

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
That's because your middle ear is normally wet and becomes dried out (eustachian tube dries out) since the O2 you breath is very dry....and the walls get stuck together.

Clear your ears a few times afterward and it won't happen in the morning.

Schnugg said:
Only problem I found with breathing OBOGS or LOX all day (F-14 thing) is you get 100% O2 in your inner ear when you clear your ears as you descend. If you hit the rack at night soon after a long flight, the O2 is slowly absorbed by the body (your inner ear).

Ever wake up and feel like you needed to clear your ears real bad. Then when you did it, it went ...sqeak...ahhhh...

r/
G

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddie said:
Hadn't thought about nitrogen issues at altitude... learn something every day around here. :D

Because climbing up to altitude is nothing like surfacing from a dive underwater. Oh wait. Think McFly. Think.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg said:

r/
G

Oh yeah... I've had it. It hurt the first bunch of times, but I think my inner ears got used to it and it didn't hurt so much when I had to valsalva the next morning.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
squeeze said:
Because climbing up to altitude is nothing like surfacing from a dive underwater. Oh wait. Think McFly. Think.

Dude, the point's been made, he gets it. You don't need to be a d!ck about it.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Hey folks, its ok (though, I do appreciate the sentiment TurnandBurn.) I'm an adult now (yeah, yeah, "so start acting and thinking like one..."); it really doesn't get to me. If it got to me, I don't think I would have lasted very long on this board, and would have abandoned thoughts for a military career a ways back.

Squeeze hasn't the time for even the smallest stupid things (in your line of work, I can appreciate that). I, on the other hand, occasionaly post before I think, and can make a lot of little mistakes (granted, fewer and fewer, as I age, mature, and LEARN); that's life.

I understand very acutely that my participation here is a privilage, and one that I appreciate very much. If I am out of line (as I have been before), please correct me.

And let's all remember, this is the internet. Smiles are not about being PC and happy-feely; they ensure more effective communication with this internet of ours that so often lacks nuance. Just my half-penny.

kray1395

eddie said:
Squeeze hasn't the time for even the smallest stupid things (in your line of work, I can appreciate that). I, on the other hand, occasionaly post before I think, and can make a lot of little mistakes (granted, fewer and fewer, as I age, mature, and LEARN); that's life.

Actually, I think that by the sheer fact that any of us as military aviators are even on here, shows that we have time for even the smallest stupid things. Time for even big stupid things as well. Good on you though for being able to let stuff bounce off of you and maintain your good attitude. It'll get you far in this business.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Schnugg said:
Only problem I found with breathing....LOX all day .......(you) wake up and feel like you needed to clear your ears real bad. Then when you did it, it went ...sqeak...ahhhh...

Riddle me that one? Anyone else experience this? r/
G

All the freakin' time .... blow it out several times during the hours after flying and it gets less and less troublesome and a sound sleep becomes less problematical.

But I also experienced similar sensations after consuming a large plate of enchiladas @ MEX-PAC in Coronado ..... :) .... or at least it went .... "squeak" ..... and "ahhhhh" .....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Squeeze has been under a lot of pressure lately. :D

Brett

zlerner

USMC SNFO
My roommate just went through the chair, and it helped her a lot. She's done 4 low levels in the past several days without getting sick...