• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airlines to Military?

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
You could go from flying this:
P.S. how the hell do you make these pics smaller?

Well, most sites frown upon hotlinking their images. Your best bet is to save them to your desktop (or copy the img URL) and then go to http://imageshack.us

Once there, paste the URL or browse to the path of your image and then before clicking "host it" there's a dropdown that will allow you to specify dimensions of the image (i.e. if you want to resize it). Try that.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
HAL Pilot,

How long ago did you fly for Scenic?
I worked there twice. Once before going to Hawaiian and once while on furlough. The last stint ended about 3 years ago and I left with rather a dark cloud over my head. I started a pilot union drive to get us better pay & work rules (no union but we got big improvements out of it) which made management pretty unhappy with me. It took them a year, but they finally were able to dump me after I refused a VFR flight in very marginal if not IFR weather (official reason) and called the Dispatch Manager a "fat cow" in the process (never substantiated by HR).

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Nope, I do not believe that seeing that ICAO sort of has a little bit more stringent requirements(200 hours exactly). Noone in their right mind would let a guy with that little experience fly a 737 (as the captain)
Flytpay - 737driver never claimed to be a Captain or that Captains flew with 200 hours. He just said there are young Captains. Unfortunately for the passengers, he is correct that there are many low time pilots occupying FO seats in foreign airlines. Many of these pilots eventually end up in the left seats with less experience then I think is safe. But they all have an ATP with the minimum 1500 hours before moving left.

OK....now reality has set in.....I should actually be scared.
There is a reason Mesa Airlines is known as "kids with jets".

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
HAL Pilot,

My brother flew for Scenic a few years ago. Apparently he was hired after you left, but he knew your story. He said you are a "legend" there.

737driver

Whatever

The rest -- even JAL -- are 80%+ pure shit.

Believe it.

Where did you train these pilots and how or why are they so inferior?
What qualifies you to make such a remark? (cos thats a pretty big generalisation)

Airlines pilots earn their money in the sim and on the day something goes desperately wrong, when or if that day ever comes. The rest is plain sailing. So you don't need 000s of hours flying smaller incomparable aircraft to be qualified.

737driver

What have you against Civy pilots?

737driver,
There is no way the average civilian pilot with 200 hours should be put in the right seat of a 737 with 100+ pax. I won't let my 12 year old daughter fly in RJs for this very reason and you'll never see me flying as a pax in one.

The training is no where close to what military pilots go through and there is no way a 200 hour civilian pilot has acquired the skills of a 200 hour military pilot.

I also disagree with your contention that flying a 737 is the same as flying a RJ.

Do CRJs fall out of the sky often? or do you like buses?

I agree the average 200 hrs military pilot would be of a higher standard than his civy counterpart and so he should be , he has had more extensive, expensive training on more sophisicated aircraft.

I went to a budget flightschool and got very little groundschool. At times I felt like I was teaching myself but at the end of the day I met the standard or wouldn't pass.

I understand that different airplanes land differently but no one gets into any new jet without some training and in Europe all pilots F/Os or Captains have a full type rating. I meant that any CRJ pilot would be perfectly capable of flying a 737 after some initial TRAINING.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Where did you train these pilots and how or why are they so inferior?
What qualifies you to make such a remark? (cos thats a pretty big generalisation)....
Gee ... I don't remember. Sorry I can't fill in the blanks for you.

I do know one former Irish 737 co-driver who is now out of work, divorced, and living in his car. Very stylish ... very sporting.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4sForever, Why are you so negative?
Because I love too much .... besides, to me, you're a freakin' Pollyanna. Cheers.

16992115wd4.jpg

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Flying out of Meridian on a CRJ was always an interesting experience. We would leave the (civilian) airport with a bunch of us Naval Avaitor wanna-bees in the back of the jet. We would watch as the two pilots climbed into the cockpit, both about our age or younger.

If we went NORDO in the goo off a vector with the Wx at our primary and divert field going to shit and thunderstorms building all around I would rather have myself or one the guys sitting near me making the decisions vs. one of those two. Maybe I am way off base, but that is my gut feeling.

So no, CRJs aren't falling out of the sky, but if there was a chance one was about to from a scenario that isn't trained specifically for, I would take the lower hour military guy who spends every day being berated in the sim and plane with outlandish scenarios and being taught to actually think.

That said, I still fly on said CRJs. And I don't sweat blood the entire time. But I still have these thoughts everytime I fly on one...