• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airlines to Military?

737driver

Hey

long story short

I fly 737s but never finished college. I am Irish and used to live in Florida but left the US to go back to Europe. I was always interested in military aviation. I love my job and the money is great but I always wanted to fly in the military. What sort of degree would I need to help become a marine aviator. Also have you ever heard of an airline pilot trying to join the military? How do the Military view it? too many bad habits?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Hey

I fly 737s but never finished college. I am Irish and used to live in Florida but left the US to go back to Europe. I was always interested in military aviation. I love my job and the money is great but I always wanted to fly in the military. What sort of degree would I need to help become a marine aviator. Also have you ever heard of an airline pilot trying to join the military? How do the Military view it? too many bad habits?

Stop posting the exact same thing in every un-related thread you can find.

Troll much?

Dingobat

Guess she don't like the Cornbread either...
Hey

long story short

"...and we just dab it with a little bit of this, and walla!"

258Troll_spray.jpg

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
737driver said:
whats a troll?

Someone who posts something either completely non-sequitur or controversial to the current thread just to get a reaction out of people.

Mission accomplished.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
almost 24

You must have gotten an early start, that's pretty impressive! Not necessarily Marine specific, but you need to get a degree from an accredited university in basically any major you want. Time is running out depending on how much college you have under your belt, so if you want to do it, now is the time to decide. Get in contact with an officer recruiter in your region (or at least home region back in the US that you intend to return to), and discuss your options. Also are you a US citizen? You said you were Irish, but I don't know if that means you are an Irish citizen, or if that was just excess/irrelevant information about your ancestry. Good luck, and do a search on this forum about military vs civilian/airline flying. There is a smattering of topics related to this around if you look. BTW I have personally met a former airline pilot (very junior regional type guy, as you would guess from the mil age restrictions for training) who was going through Navy flight training, so yes, there are some out there.

**disclaimer, I am not a recruiter and don't pretend to be one. The person you need to talk to is an official officer recruiter.

nugget81

pilot
To answer your question, it is completely possible to go from the airlines to the military. I can think of at least one guy flying T-45's who used to be an airline pilot, albeit not at the majors. Are you a US citizen? Do you have a bachelor's degree (major doesn't matter)? The answers need to be YES to both to have a shot.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
-MUST be a US citizen.
-Most any degree will do. Just be comfortable enough with math and science to get a good astb score.
-Have not turned 27 by time of commissioning, You would go to Officer Candidate School. OCS is aprox 3 months long and the application process is extensive, at least 3 months, so factor that into the age limit.
-Professional pilot time or a fat log book may or may not be a positive. Should not be much of a negative.
-Physical requirements like vision must be met.

Do a search of this site or visit the Navy Officer recruiting site. For additional details.

*I WAS a recruiter for many years so I don't have to pretend. Still, talk to a recruiter if you meet the citizenship requirement and can get a degree within the time frame.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Former airline guy here now flying Hornets. It can be done. The degree is your first hurdle to get over though. Are you a US Citizen?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
To answer your question, it is completely possible to go from the airlines to the military. I can think of at least one guy flying T-45's who used to be an airline pilot, albeit not at the majors. Are you a US citizen? Do you have a bachelor's degree (major doesn't matter)? The answers need to be YES to both to have a shot.

I think I know who you're talking about. Did he fly King Airs?