• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airline transition, Where to?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I would take that in a heartbeat.

Believe it ... :)

Wouldn't be difficult.. Just ran a practice bid 2 days ago.. And the junior Captain is a fall 2004 hire... And only 11 of 46 vacancies filled in the right seat..

So looks like they will likely hire a handful; like they did a couple of years ago to fill the MD-11 Anchorage openings.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
http://willflyforfood.cc/airlinepilotpay/

Not sure how accurate this is but it seemed to have a pay scale for most of the airlines.
What's so shocking is the only airline to mirror the pre-9/11 wage scales is FedEx. Actually ... I guess there's no shock in that case at all . Some of this guy's "majors" are more like "minors".

Were I still flying the Whale, I would be getting @ 25% less cash and flying 10% more ... sounds like a 35% pay cut in real terms; basically what my F/O's used to make ... plus the benefits have all gone south .... doesn't sound like a good deal, comparatively speaking.

But if you have to work for somebody besides yourself, the job of airline pilot still beats most of the alternatives out there ... :)

OldNavy

One of my old DIVOs left to fly for UPS. He said he choose cargo over pax, because cargo doesn't scream! :D

MasterBates

One of my old DIVOs left to fly for UPS. He said he choose cargo over pax, because cargo doesn't scream! :D

SWOs DO SCREAM when being flown somewhere. Especially if you do the Billy Baru approach to a FFG/DDG.

Swo's are not human, so they are cargo, not pax

OldNavy

SWOs DO SCREAM when being flown somewhere. Especially if you do the Billy Baru approach to a FFG/DDG.

Swo's are not human, so they are cargo, not pax

My Dad was a TM
My Ex was a PN
Her Dad was a DK
My Son is a CT

Where the hell did they all go wrong!

bluto

Phrogdriver, that's why I'm getting out now. Possible 5 years on a staff will not make you competitive for an airline gig. Also, the timing now is decent with a lot of airlines beginning to hire. Hopefully catch the beginning of the wave and have a lot of guys come in right behind you for a furlough cushion. Getting on with the guard or reserves is also a great opportunity. Continues to build your hours, maintain currency and another revenue stream for those first few years (not to mention the support if you do find yourself out of a job). They also let you continue to be part of the gun club, which I think is the biggest draw. If I could stay at a squadron for 20 years, even with current deployment schedules, I would. The reserves are as close to that as you can get.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Phrogdriver, that's why I'm getting out now. Possible 5 years on a staff will not make you competitive for an airline gig. Also, the timing now is decent with a lot of airlines beginning to hire. Hopefully catch the beginning of the wave and have a lot of guys come in right behind you for a furlough cushion. Getting on with the guard or reserves is also a great opportunity. Continues to build your hours, maintain currency and another revenue stream for those first few years (not to mention the support if you do find yourself out of a job). They also let you continue to be part of the gun club, which I think is the biggest draw. If I could stay at a squadron for 20 years, even with current deployment schedules, I would. The reserves are as close to that as you can get.

B...I...N...G...O...

Did the same and it worked for me! Qualified, Current, and Available!

OldNavy

Maybe A4s can make his own airline..
l_584d75bccbc6423a04ad07c7d2878383.jpg

With real customer service
032504_fg5.jpg

(yeah, its not a 747, but its what the "make your own airline" sign generator had)

Man, there is just something about a women in polyester.....

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm sold to the man through year 16. At that point I'd be retarded to split and give up 1/2 pay. What is a reasonable amount of flying to stay current for four years? 10 hours a year? 10 hours a month? Gouge, anyone?