• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircraft Nose Art/Pin Up Girls

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
OK...
one more time...
61pCQA6zOXL._AA280_.gif

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
For what it's worth - Sonny Barger (whoever he is) can lick my hairy balls. The Hell's Angels of VMF (later VMFA-321) used the name Hell's Angels before any of those retarded, idiotic, criminal fucknuts were even a sparkle in their grandparents eyes. 1943. Again - they can bite my balls.

Not the same as their logo....besides he loves the military, particularly the Navy. I met him about 5-6 years ago. Decent guy and went out of his way to autograph his book once he found out I was still in the Navy.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I have always liked classic nose-art. Here's some pics I have saved from random discoveries around the internet:

(Some of these may have been posted on other posts here by other people)

Attachments

• b298.jpg
    b298.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 186
  • b299.jpg
    b299.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 170
  • b2910.jpg
    b2910.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 167
  • b2911.jpg
    b2911.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 172
  • b2912.jpg
    b2912.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 180
  • noseart3DM0506_468x374.jpg
    noseart3DM0506_468x374.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 177

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Was it mostly only Army Air Corps who named their aircraft, like in the above photographs? Was this ever a Navy tradition? When did that tradition go to the wayside?

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Does anyone have the link to that guy's work who painted the modern pin ups? I believe one was of a lady riding "Little Boy" as it was being dropped on Hiroshima, another was one of a lady with wings and a machine gun...?

Is any of this striking a bell?

Cams1215

Thanks for all of the great ideas... Now i have a place to start. Any more ideas, pictures, names, etc. are still appreciated... seeing that a piece of sand paper and a can of black primer can be used as an eraser... only because this will be my first attempt at graphic paint design... not like water colors in 3rd grade....

schwarti

Contributor
Ryan - yeah, I know what you're talking about, but I can't remember the guy's name either. There was a thread about this a few months back... I can't find it, though.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Does anyone have the link to that guy's work who painted the modern pin ups? I believe one was of a lady riding "Little Boy" as it was being dropped on Hiroshima, another was one of a lady with wings and a machine gun...?

Is any of this striking a bell?

Is this the thread you're referring to?

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135319

Here's the website of the guy you're talking about & the picture you mentioned:
http://gangus.cgsociety.org/gallery/482403/

Angel-of-Death_CA.jpg

phrogpilot73

Not the same as their logo....besides he loves the military, particularly the Navy. I met him about 5-6 years ago. Decent guy and went out of his way to autograph his book once he found out I was still in the Navy.
That's good to hear. While my tone may have been a bit harsh, I kind of figured that as long as the logo's not the same (and based on the fact that it looks like Nose Art), the use of Hell's Angels wouldn't be a big deal. They may get their panties in a bunch, but I'm sure once they know that it has nothing to do with them, and has a historical connotation that they would probably not care.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
FWIW, my father was in "McArthur's Navy". They were land-based naval aviation units that shared airfields w/ the AAC from New Guinea in '42/'43 through the Leyte Gulf landings in 1944/45. He brought home hundreds of pictures of him & buddies next to Navy & AAC aircraft. There were never any nose-art pictures on the PB4Y-2 aircraft of his unit or other Navy aircraft. There were almost always such pictures on the AAC a/c (B-24's, 25's, P38's & 51's). In his words: "if the gov't had given the AAC enough fuel, they would have crashed every plane they were ever issued"! Some things never change!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
That's good to hear. While my tone may have been a bit harsh, I kind of figured that as long as the logo's not the same (and based on the fact that it looks like Nose Art), the use of Hell's Angels wouldn't be a big deal. They may get their panties in a bunch, but I'm sure once they know that it has nothing to do with them, and has a historical connotation that they would probably not care.

I saw a show on the History Channel about the Hell's Angels and Sonny Barger. The show seemed to portray that they were a bunch of hellraisers but would go down fighting for the US flag. A conundrum, but interesting I thought. If I'm not mistaken, I think the show said Sonny was in the Army in his early life.

FastMover

NFO
None
VS-21 Decom Nose Art

Here are some great pics of the nose art applied to one of VS-21's jets prior to their decommissioning a few years ago. It's sad to think that such a good looking jet is just sitting out in the desert now...

68.jpg

259.jpg

S-3B_160604_20061108a.jpg

Click here to see how the art was applied.