• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Wing in Hawaii??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff29

Science Project
Patmack18 said:
I know... too bad huh? Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once...

"To all virgins: Thanks for nothing!"
You could always just become Mormon and move to Provo.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
flynsail said:

A4sForever said:
But, but, but .....it doesn't matter what anyone thinks - !!! It ONLY matters what the politicians (Inouye and the Navy "politicians") WANT ... don't confuse the issues with facts or reality. :) Hawaii politics and $$$$ are what drive the question right now --- Not "reality". :)

And ... the defense rests --- thanks for the update, flynsail :

I count over 17+ references in the article to Hawaii polticos (read: Inoye & Akaka to a lesser degree ... ) & Navy politicians (read: admirals & bureacrats). BTW, Inoye and Akaka --- they are the BEST at squeezing the flesh and bringing home the $$$$, Kalua pig, and poi. MMmmm .... Hawaiian plate lunch --- you break Yo mou'th , Bruddah !!!

ln04a_b.jpg
plate.jpg

Really, really, long-time Hawaii Senators Daniel Akaka and Daniel Inouye (do you suppose they like the name "Dan"???)

While it's still just the Honolulu Advertiser and therefore should be taken with a grain of you-know-what ---If there is a carrier based in the Pacific -- outside of Japan and we'll assume it ain't Cubi --- it is going to be in "Paradise" and Pearl Harbor.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hawaii... let's see... good things: beautiful weather, beautiful scenery, beautiful women, and all the food you can handle. Bad thigns: it's an island, they don't like my guns.

It'd be a tough choice.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hell, even California is trouble with guns. They have all kinds of rules about what you can and can not bring into the state (a la Clinton regime definition of assault weapons), and you can forget about getting any kind of concealed carry permit.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Hell, even California is trouble with guns. They have all kinds of rules about what you can and can not bring into the state (a la Clinton regime definition of assault weapons), and you can forget about getting any kind of concealed carry permit.

Brett

Oh, I know alllll about California. I came from its other oppressive cousin, Massachusetts. I DREAD living in California, which is pretty much a 50/50 shot. MOST of my collection is illegal there.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Hawaii... let's see... Bad thigns: it's an island, they don't like my guns......

An Island? No man is an Island .......

Actually, they LOVE guns there --- it's just the PC bureacrats that don't like them. And the Koko Head range is one of the better ones I have ever seen --- public and paid for with public $$$$$. The rules pertaining to firearms, overall, are Draconian .... I would not take my collection over there --- were I to move to Hawaii full-time.
weblogo.gif

There are a couple of decent gun stores on Oahu --- but kind of uptight until they decide you are not a narc. You can plan on paying @ 33% more for EVERTHING in Paradise relating to firearms --- guns, accessories, and ammunition. But I guess that applies to everthing else as well , except for haircuts and pineapples ....

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
A4,

When I was there in 96, pineapples were more expensive than they were on the mainland. What gives? I figured since I was right there, I'd get a break. Not pay an extra $2.00.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
EODDave said:
A4,

When I was there in 96, pineapples were more expensive than they were on the mainland. What gives? I figured since I was right there, I'd get a break. Not pay an extra $2.00.

Naaaaaa ... that's kind of been "my thing" --a slight, weak joke-- ever since I was a kid there in the '50's .... while trying to describe the only things that WERE cheaper in "Paradise". In the '50's when Hawaii was still a Territory, haicuts and pineapples were IT on the eco-socio-food chain for "cheaper" than the mainland ....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm gonna guess the Draconion gun laws of Hawaii have to do with A) the leftist slant of politics on the islands and B) the high crime in say, Honolulu... of course, they can't blame the completely inept Honolulu PD... no, we couldn' do that, could we? Everything I've read on them says they couldn't solve a crime if you gave them the solution.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
...the high crime in say, Honolulu... of course, they can't blame the completely inept Honolulu PD... no, we couldn' do that, could we? Everything I've read on them says they couldn't solve a crime if you gave them the solution.

Haha funny you should mention that, A good family friend actually had that happen to her... It was a break in (car or house I forget, but). HPD wasn't doin anything so she went and did all the legwork herself (she was a FLEO at the time), ID'd the suspect(s), solved the crime etc. Gave all of that to HPD... And they still wouldn't do anything. She said that HPD's attitude changes to "doesn't really care" when the locals commit crime against the non-locals.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zippy said:
Haha funny you should mention that, A good family friend actually had that happen to her... It was a break in (car or house I forget, but). HPD wasn't doin anything so she went and did all the legwork herself (she was a FLEO at the time), ID'd the suspect(s), solved the crime etc. Gave all of that to HPD... And they still wouldn't do anything. She said that HPD's attitude changes to "doesn't really care" when the locals commit crime against the non-locals.

DAmn! Sounds about right. I saw something where they were ranked as one of the worst Police Departments in the country. My parents hate them, and my step-dad was a cop!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Just talked to some (local) movers and shakers who think they have an inside look at BRAC and other stuff pertaining to some of the speculation on this thread. They say "their sources in DC" say the DoD is considering putting ALL, as in ALL patrol/reconnaisance air assets @ NAS Whidbey --- and maybe putting the EF'in-18 in Leeeeemer as a result. Can you say Kaneohe? Can you say Rota ??? Some VQ-2 heavy-types (Rota) have already contacted local realtors inquiring into "a large movement of personnel into the area" .....

This would also free up ramp space @ Kaneohe --- and allow the Pearl Harbor "carrier" (?) AirWing a place to land other than old NAS Barber's Point --- which would suffer from too much encroachment (read: $$$$$) from the surrounding community in Kalaeloa since Barber's closure.

At least that was in the "planning" thinking ... These people have just returned from D.C. and maybe I can glean some more info. from them --- everything this time around (I was on the local BRAC committee last time) --- is very "hush-hush". Some people even had to sign "non-disclosure" pledges ...

Interesting, yes .... "may you live in interesting times" .... an old Chinese curse.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Just talked to some (local) movers and shakers who think they have an inside look at BRAC and other stuff pertaining to some of the speculation on this thread. They say "their sources in DC" say the DoD is considering putting ALL, as in ALL patrol/reconnaisance air assets @ NAS Whidbey --- and maybe putting the EF'in-18 in Leeeeemer as a result. Can you say Kaneohe? Can you say Rota ??? Some VQ-2 heavy-types (Rota) have already contacted local realtors inquiring into "a large movement of personnel into the area" .....

This would also free up ramp space @ Kaneohe --- and allow the Pearl Harbor "carrier" (?) AirWing a place to land other than old NAS Barber's Point --- which would suffer from too much encroachment (read: $$$$$) from the surrounding community in Kalaeloa since Barber's closure.

At least that was in the "planning" thinking ... These people have just returned from D.C. and maybe I can glean some more info. from them --- everything this time around (I was on the local BRAC committee last time) --- is very "hush-hush". Some people even had to sign "non-disclosure" pledges ...

Interesting, yes .... "may you live in interesting times" .... an old Chinese curse.
Although it would suck for the G model to be in Lemmore, I definitely understand it from a logistical standpoint.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VQ-2 has been heading to Whidbey for some time. As for any 'inside' info on the BRAC, how have they decided on anything yet when thier Chairman has not even been confirmed? This was in the Early Bird on Friday:

National Journal CongressDailyPM
March 31, 2005

Sources Say Lott Is Blocking Base Closure Nominations

In a last-ditch effort to stymie the Pentagon's 2005 Base Closure and Realignment Commission process, congressional sources say Sen. Trent Lott, R-Miss., has placed a hold on the president's nomination of former Veterans Affairs Secretary Principi to head the panel. Lott's spokesman could not be reached for comment, but congressional aides said that in addition to holding up Principi's nomination, Lott also intends to place holds on each of the remaining eight BRAC Commission nominees, who have yet to appear before the Armed Services Committee for their confirmation hearings. According to Senate aides, the committee moved Principi's nomination to the Senate floor March 17 following his March 15 confirmation hearing.

Bush this month tapped Principi to lead the nine-member commission that will evaluate the Pentagon's base closure recommendations this summer. Although the Armed Services Committee was quick to act on Principi's nomination, time is running short for the committee to approve the remaining nominees. More than two weeks have passed since the White House released its list of candidates to serve on the commission, though sources close to Capitol Hill say the Senate is waiting to act on the remaining nominees until the White House completes its list. Specifically, nominee Claude Kicklighter of Georgia was reportedly a last-minute addition to the list after questions arose over Senate Majority Leader Frist's pick, retired Army Gen. John Coburn of Virginia. Sources say Coburn's nomination might pose a conflict of interest, and it is unclear whether Kicklighter will remain on the list or be replaced.

Congressional sources say Lott's potential to hold up the commission nominees poses a serious risk to the BRAC process. A staunch opponent of BRAC, Lott joined other lawmakers last year in a failed bid to delay the 2005 base closure round by two years with an amendment to the FY05 defense authorization bill.

This year, if he does hold up the remaining nominations, Lott could rob commission of the little time it will have to review the Pentagon's base closure recommendations. Once the Pentagon's list is submitted to commission members May 16, they will have until Sept. 8 to review the list and propose changes.

--Amy Klamper

Status
Not open for further replies.