• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Wing in Hawaii??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My step-bro is an ATC at what used to be NAS Barber's Point. He has heard rumblings about putting a CAW in Hawaii.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
With the pending retirement of the Kitty Hawk in Japan (2008), the Navy is looking at all options for a new forward deployment homeport for a carrier and the associated airwing. Japan isn't an option right now because of their prohibition against the homeporting a Nuclear carrier there. There are several threads where these options have been discussed, but in general the rumors are Hawaii, Guam, & Australia. The Navy has already started an environmental impact study for Hawaii. So maybe they are leaning that way? Who knows what will happen.

I think Alaska is going to push to be the new homeport for the carrier to prevent BRAC from shutting down more bases there. ;)

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I haven't been there, but I am pretty certain the Japanese just don't like the Americans to have anything Nuclear in their territory. Kind of a sore spot for them...

Seriously, I believe that their constitution/Laws do not permit anything nuclear from being on their territory. I know that Nukes have made portcalls in the past, but I think that was more of a wink and a nod arrangement. There is no foolin anyone if a Nuke is homeported there. Rumor central has suggested that they may amend their laws to keep a carrier there in the future, but who knows. I'm sure that they will consider it if North Korea keeps up their crazy dance.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The BLUE ALI'I is BACK ???

A Carrier in Pearl??? The more things change ....
(note: this was posted on another thread, but is germane... or is it pertinent? Applicable? Applicative? Apropos? Cognate? Kindred? Kosher? Right-On?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The BLUE ALI'I is BACK ???
vc1patch.jpg

barberhi.jpg
151030a.jpg

The firsthand word I got this past fall
(is that a lifetime ago for this discussion ??) -- from my "Friend in Hi (or Low?) Places" -- a Flag Officer in Pearl -- was that the Navy was going to homeport a carrier battle group in Pearl. While that is no guarantee, it does kind of make sense.

The problem (according to him) is where to put the AirWing while on the beach. NAS Barber's Point is trashed now (it used to be an pretty, manicured oasis -- but no more since it was "given" to the State of Hawaii) and would seem to not be an option at first glance; but in fact, it may be the ONLY option. Kaneohe has limited ramp space for an AirWing and the traffic pattern does not lend itself to the volume of flying that an AirWing could generate.

NAS Barber's biggest problem I see at the moment would seem to be the encroachment from the surrounding civilian community. (read: $$$$ interests) There have been some major housing developments built around there in Ewa and Ko'Olina since NAS Barber's Point closed.....

Senator Daniel Inouye (D-HI) put a clever little proviso in the agreement that "gave" NAS Barber's to Hawaii---namely that the US Govt. could get it back anytime in the "national interest". So this is supposedly the plan.....it makes more sense than Guam, except that Guam is closer to China/Taiwan, etc. But Hawaii is still a lot closer to Asia when compared to basing a carrier group on the West Coast.

Guam just doesn't have the shore facilities to support a a population the size that a Carrier Battle Group would bring with the accompanying shore infrastructure, dependents and such. NAS Agana is not a possibility--too small, and if the Air Force goes back into Andersen in any great capacity, they will probably take up much of it---and there goes the neighborhood.

The only thing that seems certain is that it does look like the DOD wants another carrier in the Pacific in addition to the Kitty Hawk in Japan. As far as the future when the Hawk decoms and/or any discussion re: a CVN in Japan, I would suggest that all previous bets are off with the emerging threat potential from North Korea -- and possibly China. I am talking threat to Japan, as the Japanese perceive it. Things are changing there, witness their recent deployment to Iraq (historic post WW2 first) and Japan's intent to revise its laws to allow for overseas deployment of its troops without a U.N. authorization for the purpose of international peacekeeping efforts. USN (and JMSDF ?) Nukes next ... ?? (see KBS GLOBAL BROADCASTING Jan 12, 2005).

updatba.gif
ROGER BALL !!

KBayDog

What about basing them at Dillingham? I hear traffic on the North Shore is pretty light, especially in the winter.

Or Bellows? Da bruddahs in Waimanalo with their upside-down Hawaiian flags would love to have a bunch of airwarriors floating around their hales.

Or Kahlooawe? This would be good job security for the EOD field.

Just a thought.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dillingham is just south of some extensive working areas for the ANG, as well as the daily clusterf"ck of skydivers and gliders coming out of there (always fun trying to remember CTAF procedures when playing up there). It could work if they paid off the tourist trap aviation businesses to leave, worked a deal with the ANG guys to slide the MOAs (or whatever they are...I can't remember...) north, and found some way to house an airwing and its support units plus families up there. No way a daily commute would be possible, especially if you consider the limited traffic due to the lack of a "real" highway up there. The local populace would not be too happy, I'd wager...

Placing an airwing there COULD work...but really only in the short term. Traffic is ree-donk-yoo-luss as it is. Add 5000-6000 folks plus the required infrastructure, plus dependents...that's a lot of cars...and what about that urban legend concerning how much actual terra-firma can be cemented over ont he islands?

Admittedly, I'm biased against it...after 3 years I definitely think the military presence on Oahu is too much as it is. Hickam AFB, Schofield (sp?) Barracks, Pearl, KBay..Kbay traffic pattern routinely has it's own P-3s, 53s, C-20s, and 60's playing see and avoid. Plus the daily visitors from the south side; ANG and Coastie C-130s...C-26's from PMRF...overwater traffic pattern only...northerly take-offs 90% of the time...ughhh....

Guam would make a lot more sense to me...way more real estate...economic boom for the area (that primarily relies on Japanese tourism)...super cool approach over the cliff into the AF base...

Japan caving on the nuke issue also seems a little more feasible. Granted, anti (US) military sentiment is high there, but it wouldn't suprise me to see their lawmakers tell the constituents to pound sand and standby for 3 eyed fish and pasty Sailors. Why not put the Airwing up north, Misawa-style? Oh yeah...weather...ok maybe not THAT far north...

ah, no one is gonna ask me anyway..if they do go with Oahu, I doubt I'd ever bother trying to visit there again. It'd be cheaper to fly to San Diego or Norfolk, wear an aloha shirt and order mai-tais everywhere I go, surrounded by squids and jars...a la Moose McGillicuddy's...shudder...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree with Zab (am I losing my mind or just drunk?) that Guam would be the better option. They have a nice port that is not too crowded and the people acutally like the military (military=money for Guam). The Air Wing could be accomodated very easily at Anderson AFB, they have more ramp space than anywhere else I have ever seen, or they could fix up the abandoned fighter base that is 5 miles from the current airfield, it is pretty extensive in its own right.

That and the Japanese realize we are their best friends in the neighberhood, they want us to stick around.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
I agree with Zab (am I losing my mind or just drunk?) that Guam would be the better option. They have a nice port that is not too crowded and the people acutally like the military (military=money for Guam). The Air Wing could be accomodated very easily at Anderson AFB, they have more ramp space than anywhere else I have ever seen, or they could fix up the abandoned fighter base that is 5 miles from the current airfield, it is pretty extensive in its own right.

That and the Japanese realize we are their best friends in the neighberhood, they want us to stick around.
Plus the strip clubs in Guam are awesome w/ very "permissive" ROE.

Good times,

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Plus the strip clubs in Guam are awesome w/ very "permissive" ROE.

Good times,

Brett

LONG LIVE THE VIKING! :tongue2_1

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Flash said:
I agree with Zab ..... that Guam would be the better option.

But, but, but .....it doesn't matter what Zab or anyone else thinks --- and I also agree with y'all--- Guam would be great and make sense !!! It ONLY matters what the politicians (Inouye and the Navy "politicians") WANT ... don't confuse the issues with facts or reality. :) Hawaii politics and $$$$ are what drive the question right now --- Not "reality". :)

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
But, but, but .....it doesn't matter what Zab

aw you wound me...wait...no...that's gas...

he's right. but man it's fun to b!tch on the net.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
zab1001 said:
aw you wound me...wait...no...that's gas... he's right. but man it's fun to b!tch on the net.

I defer (temporarily) to the Man from Santiago ... :) (and no bold-face nor pix)

petescheu

Well hey, Helo and P3 bubbas can go to Hawaii, so why not open it there so us Jet dudes can get some of the Island love...
PMak, that girl is killing me... she's smokin...

Status
Not open for further replies.