• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air France Flt 447 Crash

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I don't gnats ass the on-speed A/S calculation. I know what the airspeed should be at max trap. Other than that, I just sanity check it. I know that I should be looking at 8* NU with 0* FPA on-speed on downwind (0 VSI), and I use that as my primary sanity check.

What cool-aid man is alluding to is that in the Hornet the AOA is measured in actual degrees using the aircraft waterline, rather than some artificially-derived "units" like in most other aircraft. I think on-speed in the T-45 was something like 19 or 20 "units," correct? I also remember hearing rumors that the onspeed for the goshawk was intentionally made a little faster to add in a safety margin to prevent stalls.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As I recall, the P-3 has an indexer on the left seat. Dunno if it works.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
As I recall, the P-3 has an indexer on the left seat. Dunno if it works.
We have one (both sides), they usually work, sometimes they even match each other...but I never use the damn thing...
Usually just another gauge the FE can pull the CB on to check our instrument scan...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We have one (both sides), they usually work, sometimes they even match each other...but I never use the damn thing...
Usually just another gauge the FE can pull the CB on to check our instrument scan...
Right. If you looked at them, you might actually touch down (and stay down) within the first 1000 ft of the runway. :)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
AOA in the P3 was always handy to me for max endurance and max range airspeed and no flap landings. (AOA approach by another name).

I used to love it when FEs would bust out the charts, 3ps would start using gouge formulas and I would be on speed on AOA before anyone was done figuring out the "right" way. Seriously underused gauge in the Trizzle.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
AOA in the P3 was always handy to me for max endurance and max range airspeed and no flap landings. (AOA approach by another name).

I used to love it when FEs would bust out the charts, 3ps would start using gouge formulas and I would be on speed on AOA before anyone was done figuring out the "right" way. Seriously underused gauge in the Trizzle.

I agree, great if you know what to do with it. Not only that, it'll help keep you out of a stall.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's funny to hear you guys talk like that because AOA is so second nature to the jet guys. Maybe some of the trivia-meisters in your NATOPS shops could focus a little less on "how many piece of wood are there in the P-3" and more on a gauge which is actually useful in flying the aircraft? :D

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It's funny to hear you guys talk like that because AOA is so second nature to the jet guys. Maybe some of the trivia-meisters in your NATOPS shops could focus a little less on "how many piece of wood are there in the P-3" and more on a gauge which is actually useful in flying the aircraft? :D

When I read this, I imagined someone saying it in a room full of trivia meisters (from any community, really), followed by this sound:

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Blasphemy!!!!!

MasterBates

The trivia goonery and relative lack thereof made me glad that while VAW is between Tacair and P3s in the dork continum, at least we were more like TACAIR on the pilot side

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor

Woah, woah, woah....the P-3 community has standards to maintain and they have nothing to do with flying. This was one of my crusades as an IP...you can judge my success by my current duty assignment.