• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Air Force leadership talks frankly about pilot retention

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I'll take my platform with a modicum of self-respect and self-confidence any day over what you're putting on display here..... ;)

So..... The Air Force, pilot shortage.....

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Disagree.

I'll repeat myself... Can your platform fight and employ weapons from the seafloor to space? From blue water, to the littorals, to 1,000 miles inland?

Is your platform worth $2 Billion? With the associated number of weapons?

Yeah? No... It's OK, I still love you ;)
The first time you tried too hard I thought you might be joking. Now it's just sad.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
May need a threadjack, but for communities that are slightly overmanned like HSC and HSM, do you think it would be a good option to consider jumping ship and asking for a transfer to VAQ or VFA? I know of one former VAQ Skipper who was HS to VAQ and in his squadron he had a DH transition from VQ to VAQ. Any chance of this happening to a JO nowadays given those communities are hurting?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
May need a threadjack, but for communities that are slightly overmanned like HSC and HSM, do you think it would be a good option to consider jumping ship and asking for a transfer to VAQ or VFA? I know of one former VAQ Skipper who was HS to VAQ and in his squadron he had a DH transition from VQ to VAQ. Any chance of this happening to a JO nowadays given those communities are hurting?

Community manning is a major factor for a transition, does the community you want to leave have enough folks to let you go without an issue and does the community you want to go have the room for an extra body in your YG? That is the first big hurdle for a transition, then they look at the individual and their record to see if they are good to go. If not your aren't going to pass go no matter how good your record.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I was describing some of the value of traditional production tours and why @azguy's singular focus on "sea" time doesn't work in aviation.
I understand what your reply meant to azguy, but I was wondering if the LCDR board views aviation shore duty 'production tours' in a higher light than any other run-of-the-mill shore duty. The numbers for promotion indicate no, but I'm curious from those who have sat a board if that's the case.

azguy was saying making SWO DH was more competitive than making aviation DH and I pointed out the error in his logic both numerically and logically speaking given all you have to accomplish in order to screen DH as an aviator.
I didn't get that from his post at all. He was simply comparing two communities that do business differently. The broader point is that if the statutory process is extremely unlikely to change, then why is the 13xx community so resistant to restructuring timing to making its officers more competitive, i.e. getting them to DH, at the 9-11 YCS point? Looking at the timing that Recovering LSO posted, there is some ability to do that, particularly with most officers going to board now at 10.5-11 YCS vice 9-10. The gouge for being competitive for O-4 is that the fitrep should include a recommendation for XO at sea as well as LCDR...kind of hard for officers that aren't even a DH yet.

Python

pilot
Contributor
As a SWO, you can't pick your nose without the CO's blessing. And you have an ENTIRE watch team fighting the ship during a prosecution/engagement. 1310/1320's employ platforms far away from their CO adult supervision and fight through multi-axis/dimension scenarios. There is no way to compare the duties and responsibilities of a SWO versus that of an O3/4 1310/1320 - they're not even in the same universe.

@azguy ^this is a pretty compelling argument. Especially when talking about single seat tacair.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@azguy ^this is a pretty compelling argument. Especially when talking about single seat tacair.
Single or dual-seat. NFO or pilot, only one officer is the Strike Lead. Only one officer is the SEAD lead, fighter lead, etc. Good bet all or most of the folks most current/credible in those quals are O-3s and O-4s. I'm sure if something big goes up, CAG and a bunch of the head sheds might decide to climb on board, personality depending. But the point is that for purposes of people qualified to command the op, they wouldn't be forced to.

When I was putting my civilian resume together, I Googled and added up the total flyaway costs of a typical Fallon-esque type strike package. Not an alpha strike, just a run-of-the-mill LFE. It's somewhere in the ballpark of $1.1B, give or take. And DH/JO-level incompetence could result in a large portion of that value being schwacked without Skipper being able to intervene until it's too late.

Show me that in SWO land.

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
Disagree.

I'll repeat myself... Can your platform fight and employ weapons from the seafloor to space? From blue water, to the littorals, to 1,000 miles inland?

You don't employ your platform by yourself. If you want a better force on force comparison, for your quoted $2 billion dollar price tag you can buy 21 superhornets (E/F/G) and an E-2D. That's roughly 25-35 officers employing those aircraft (similar to a Burke I would imagine). There are also several mission sets that those aircraft are far more capable in than a Burke/Tico are (regardless of how much they cost). So let's take a step back, put the Kool-aid down, and chill with the platform measuring.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Disagree.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever seen on this board. Are you comparing a CRUDES CAPT with an O-3? No SWO LT is in charge of $2 Billion of anything.

And "seafloor to space"? I hope this was a drunk post.

Here is what you should really take away from this. For the last 15ish years at least, 1310 / 1320 JOs have been flying into bad guy land, sometimes alone and unafraid, and employing ordnance from their aircraft in anger. They aren't getting permission from the CAPT of the boat, or CAG, or even their Skippers to do this. I've seen how a CG watchfloor works. It isn't a SWO JO making the firing decisions.

But I have seen how SWO JOs do operate off the coast of Iran. How did that work out for us?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
This guy must be a blast to work for, he wants to fix the problem by reducing the civilian market as competition.

https://www.stripes.com/air-force-chief-seeks-to-lower-commercial-flight-hour-requirement-1.452920
Does the general expect Congress or the airline industry to fix his culture problem? Oh wait, there's no culture problem.... I think the part that maybe he doesn't understand, or doesn't want to accept, is that in the current environment (and this seems to apply to Navy and Marine air), guys are leaving, and will continue to leave for myriad reasons/jobs. The airlines are certainly an attractive option, but for him, or others, to blame retention problems solely on the airlines misses the real issue(s).

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
As others have said, a VFA JO section can fly into badguystan and drop a bomb with almost no "adult" supervision.

To get a TLAM on target, in addition to whatever is going on aboard the DDG/CG, you have a whole cell full of people back at a HQ or on the CVN doing all sorts of crap to manage it (some of whom are aviators, btw). So even then, the shooter's skipper, TAO, strike officer, etc isn't running the fight in the same way a JO in a pointy nosed jet is.

Having been in VFA land for my first tour and now working alongside SWOs who care about blowing stuff up, I can see why some folks like AZguy are adamant that their community does care about warfighting. But I still don't see them as coming close to the pointy nosed guys.