• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Air Force leadership talks frankly about pilot retention

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Too drunk to find, but in the TACAIR communities last time I saw they couldn't meet mins to make DHs. And just having the numbers retained to make mins is terrible. We would be like SWOs at that point. I know you guys have your DH board thing now, but talking to my buddies now as long as you can breathe through both your mouth and your nose you can screen, so that is not a good construct. Just because you have the people willing to stay doesn't necessarily mean you have the right people willing to stay. Unfortunately for the TACAIR guys they haven't met either number.

azguy

None
Too drunk to find, but in the TACAIR communities last time I saw they couldn't meet mins to make DHs. And just having the numbers retained to make mins is terrible. We would be like SWOs at that point. I know you guys have your DH board thing now, but talking to my buddies now as long as you can breathe through both your mouth and your nose you can screen, so that is not a good construct. Just because you have the people willing to stay doesn't necessarily mean you have the right people willing to stay. Unfortunately for the TACAIR guys they haven't met either number.

This year's SWO DH board was the most competitive / most selective in the URL, period. That's incontrovertible.

Still waiting for the numbers to prove that pilot billets are going unfilled due to airline hiring. Thanks.

exNavyOffRec

Airlines are hiring, who cares? Fortune 500, defense contractors, nuclear power plants, and Wall St are all hiring too. As long as they can still fill DH and CO seats in your community, the bonuses won't change; when they can't fill the seats, the bonuses will surely change.

I have seen 8 year E-6 MM nukes get out and go to work at a nuclear power plant making 100K as a trainee (that includes mandatory overtime) so I wonder how much a nuke officer would make at that same plant?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Can there ever be an effective permanent solution to a continually changing manning equation? Because that is what people are asking. Granted BUPERS is often a step or two behind the leading edge of the problem, I'm not sure that they can afford to hedge bets based upon rumor and ready room chatter. Has there actually been a DH manning shortfall in the last few years? I know lots have dropped letters, but until there aren't folks waiting in the wings to fill forward, it isn't a "problem".

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Why? Doesn't seem to be working for the Air Force.

That's because in the recent years the Air Force has become more like the Navy with respect to ground jobs/collateral duties and non flying tours. The Air Force is no longer the flying club with big grey jets that it used to be.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately, the easiest way for the services to fix their pilot retention issues is to promote them to O-4 and then reject their resignation requests. Something like 90% of all Navy pilots are now up for the O-4 by the time their MSR is up. Recent years have seen the detailers leveraging the system to extend people's time in the service so they don't get leave flight current. We've seen the Marine Corps pull the "automatic continuation" rabbit out of the hat. It's only a matter of time before they become desperate enough to just start stop loss for pilots.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately, the easiest way for the services to fix their pilot retention issues is to promote them to O-4 and then reject their resignation requests. Something like 90% of all Navy pilots are now up for the O-4 by the time their MSR is up. Recent years have seen the detailers leveraging the system to extend people's time in the service so they don't get leave flight current. We've seen the Marine Corps pull the "automatic continuation" rabbit out of the hat. It's only a matter of time before they become desperate enough to just start stop loss for pilots.

I know many an LT who are counting on getting booted out, taking the bonus and the boat job in the process. Sheer lunacy IMO.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
This year's SWO DH board was the most competitive / most selective in the URL, period. That's incontrovertible.

Still waiting for the numbers to prove that pilot billets are going unfilled due to airline hiring. Thanks.

For someone concerned with numbers, I'd love to see the evidence on this. Don't SWOs have the highest attrition in the Navy at MSR? If that's the case, how could they possibly be the most competitive for DH?

Also, if the SWO board is more competitive than pilots, doesn't that prove our point? Don't we want our boards to be competitive? If the Aviation Community's boards aren't competitive, isn't that a symptom of the issue: we need to fix personnel issues in aviation?

I know many an LT who are counting on getting booted out, taking the bonus and the boat job in the process. Sheer lunacy IMO.

I assume you mean lunacy on the Navy's part, not the LTs.

Last edited:

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
PERS dolls out bonuses in a fairly unemotional fashion in order to retain specific skill sets at specific flow points. While going to flight school makes a pilot special in that they can now fly an airplane, it doesn't necessarily make him or her more valuable to the Navy at their MSR, as compared to other officers.

The better questions to ask are, and this is if we could care less about the quality of the DH's and CO's we make, (as been alluded to in this thread with spots being given to mouth breathers):
1. What percentage of these people will stick around (forecast attrition)?
2. Is that enough to fill our DH and subsequent CO spots?
3. If it is not, how do we entice more to stay and what are the market forces that are enticing them to leave? (Is it pay? Quality of life? Both? The Air Force and Marine Corps seem to have both of those issues right now.)

I have a hard time thinking that any SWO at MSR vs. any pilot at MSR is more "valuable." Granted, that's an uneven comparison, since they are different years, however, if the SWO community can make their DH's with such apparently high attrition, than perhaps the input is too large to begin with (as in: too many MIDN become SWOs).

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

I've never seen any product like this produced by PERS-43. But since PERS doesn't have a published product proving that they aren't effectively dealing with a manning problem largely because they won't acknowledge its existence, I guess we'll just assume the person in the community doesn't know what's going on here, but the person outside of it does.

azguy

None
For someone concerned with numbers, I'd love to see the evidence on this. Don't SWOs have the highest attrition in the Navy at MSR? If that's the case, how could they possibly be the most competitive for DH?

Email from the Director of PERS-41 said:
...With that as context, let's pivot and talk about the Department Head Board.

Board President was RADM Ron Boxall and membership consisted of 16 other SWO Captains and Commanders representing the broad and diverse force of Surface Warfare. The Board used a "best and fully qualified" standard for selection. Demonstrated superior performance was THE key measure for selection. Performance was informed and measured by a combination of 1) a Department Head recommendation, 2) trait grades above the summary group or reporting senior cumulative average, 3) a soft breakout in the FITREP narrative (ex #1 of 16 LTJGs, #3 of 12 Ensigns) -- particularly in the absence of a clear signal regarding trait grades and, 4) advanced qualification (such as EOOW).

The Board reviewed the records of more than 1,000 Surface Warfare Officers -- including officers previously screened through board action.

To be sure, we have EXTRAORDINARY talent in our ranks and our future is bright.

Here are the statistics and points of interest.

- 1st Look-YG 13
Overall 58 percent selection rate
467 of 812 officers selected
* The Board could have selected up to 64 percent of the eligible officers, but determined that some officers needed to demonstrate additional superior performance to merit selection.
** Of note, the 58 percent 1st Look selection marks Surface Warfare as THE most selective in the entire U.S. Navy (so in a 2 year period, we have gone from the least selective to the most selective in our Navy)...

So the lack of any legitimate DH board for us over the past several years has really jacked up SWO DH flow. The last 5 or so YGs had roughly a 85-90% screen rate for DH. As a result, anyone without some serious skeletons in their closet was screened. PERS-41 failed to really pay attention to the end-game numbers and for several years now, we've made ~50 more DHs per year than we need (or ~18% more end strength than is required).

This has lead to DHs being stashed for a year+ waiting to get into a seat, or DHs serving very short (12 month) tours and having to scrap for the good paper.

Starting this past year, they cracked down and are only screening each YG to the number of DHs they actually need (~275, I believe). There are incentives to screening in that first year, to include a $30k kicker to the original SWO DH bonus.