• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force F-15s grounded

kejo

pilot
Seems like they're pretty damn sure it's a structural problem that could affect the entire fleet of aircraft...or maybe this is just the AF's way of throwing a "slide the F-22 left now because it's all falling apart" tantrum :icon_tong

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139048

only minutes apart haha

Why would the airforce ground all F-15's after one crash? With the F/A-18 that crashed off the NC coast a few weeks ago, no one really made a big deal (at least to those of us on the outside).

... and the Navy steps in to fill the gap. Nice.

Depends on what they know or don't know about the cause of the mishap. If it is determined or suspected to be something that could result in more mishaps, then grounding is used to do inspections or even repairs/mods to forestall other mishaps.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seems like they're pretty damn sure it's a structural problem that could affect the entire fleet of aircraft...or maybe this is just the AF's way of throwing a "slide the F-22 left now because it's all falling apart" tantrum :icon_tong

You guys are reading WAY too much into this. Happens all the time, usually precautionary, usually doesn't amount to much.

Brett

kejo

pilot
You guys are reading WAY too much into this. Happens all the time, usually precautionary, usually doesn't amount to much.

Brett

Just a little friendly sarcasm there...but I didn't realize this was a common thing...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
We should probably maintain the same standards we use for Navy mishaps and keep the speculation to a minimum.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From cnn.com:
Pentagon officials said the U.S. Navy has had to move the only aircraft carrier in the region from the Persian Gulf to the North Arabian Sea to fill mission gaps for the F-15s.
Several dozen F/A-18 fighters from the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise will fly missions with other Air Force aircraft to fill mission gaps.

This is the part that chaps my arse. Not to be hatin', but when was the last time they stepped up to help us out?

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
It seems to me that this would be a problem with older C-Model aircraft, not newer E-model aircraft. It must have been a component common to both models. However it would still seem that the E-models, being a decade or so newer, would have less to worry about. Perhaps I should research it more.

snake020

Contributor
The F-15Es in Afghanistan can fly only in emergency situations to protect U.S. and coalition troops in a battle, according to Maj. John Elolf, a spokesman for the U.S. Air Force Central Command.

Um... isn't that WHY they're over there to begin with? I know they're not flying training missions out of there, or at least that was the propoganda fed to us in Durkastan (and then we had a training exercise, go figure)