• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force F-15s grounded

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
This is the part that chaps my arse. Not to be hatin', but when was the last time they stepped up to help us out?

At least three times in the Pacific between 1999 and now, F-15Es have been forward deployed to Guam or Kwang Ju to support the "carrier gap" in that area when one of the Carrier Groups had to go somewhere else.

I would have to go back and align dates up with news reports of moving carriers to get more specific than that...but I know for a fact it's happened.

HackerF15E

None
Um... isn't that WHY they're over there to begin with? I know they're not flying training missions out of there, or at least that was the propoganda fed to us in Durkastan (and then we had a training exercise, go figure)

No, they're not flying training missions.

In other words, they're not flying daily ATO missions that don't involve going directly to a troops-in-contact situation. There are lots of ATO-fragged sorties that are simply air support requests -- operations going on that would like to have air overhead just in case something happens. I flew numerous sorties supporting these ASRs where a shot was never fired on either side. Jets just simply orbited overhead for a couple hours performing NTISR and making sure nobody was sneaking up on the bad guys.

So, they're saying that when TICs open up and there is actual ordnance needed, they'll launch the Eagles.

HackerF15E

None
It seems to me that this would be a problem with older C-Model aircraft, not newer E-model aircraft. It must have been a component common to both models. However it would still seem that the E-models, being a decade or so newer, would have less to worry about. Perhaps I should research it more.

Both models were grounded this last week while the engineers figure out what the source of the structural failure was. Based on the results of that, they'll clear one or both types of jets to get back in the air.

There are plenty of potential reasons for the Missouri crash that could mean there are problems with the E model, too. Simply being newer may not be enough, depending on the cause.

phrogpilot73

At least three times in the Pacific between 1999 and now, F-15Es have been forward deployed to Guam or Kwang Ju to support the "carrier gap" in that area when one of the Carrier Groups had to go somewhere else.
But the question that must be asked is: Where they wearing ascots while they were doing it?!?

Welcome aboard, and stand by for some good, old-fashioned, friendly ribbing...

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
My buddy works on C Model F-15s at Nellis. The only word that I have from him is that this thing could take a couple weeks, or it could take a couple months. He is interested in knowing more about the timeline though, if you fellas have any info. Thanks for the gouge you provided Hacker.

HackerF15E

None
But the question that must be asked is: Where they wearing ascots while they were doing it?!?

Welcome aboard, and stand by for some good, old-fashioned, friendly ribbing...

Ready for it!

I actually used to come to this site a looooooong time ago (using a different handle -- my name!). I returned because I'm kicking around trying to get a Pensacola IP job as my next assignment, and I wanted to read up on what people had to say.

Along the way, looks like there's some great discussion happening!

HackerF15E

None
The real question will be how long before somebody askes if he knows Flathatter.

I don't know anyone by that callsign...but I'll bet it's one of those famous posters from the history of this site. Sort of like "CAPSoftSandy" over at Baseops.net and "Shockwave" from the old studentpilot.net forum.

Guess I'd better get to the search function for some SA on this one.

HackerF15E

None
Just read up on the Flathatter saga. Sounds a little like the Corvette forum dude from a similar deal at baseops.net this summer.

Nice to have AF guys like that over here giving us a bad name.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know anyone by that callsign...but I'll bet it's one of those famous posters from the history of this site. Sort of like "CAPSoftSandy" over at Baseops.net and "Shockwave" from the old studentpilot.net forum.

Guess I'd better get to the search function for some SA on this one.

Flathatter was a faker who posed as a former F-15 and spec ops helo pilot. There should be some good threads on him.

HackerF15E

None
Flathatter was a faker who posed as a former F-15 and spec ops helo pilot. There should be some good threads on him.

Interesting combination there. I especially liked the post where he claimed that, at Tyndall during his F-15 upgrade, some instructor went out and jumped in an F-4 to go do some BFM and teach him a 'lesson' about badmouthing WSOs.

Funny.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
\ I returned because I'm kicking around trying to get a Pensacola IP job as my next assignment, and I wanted to read up on what people had to say.

Next door neighbor is VT-3. He was a KC-135 (tanker I think :confused:) bubba...the "culture shock" is something he wasn't ready for...namely the NAS Whiting Field facilities...and short of some golf and boats to rent, there's not much in the way of "stuff" to do and a crappy BX to boot.

NAS Pensacola has a little better supported programs, but I'll leave those bubbas to fill in the gaps.

Welcome Aboard.