• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Farce Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Av Fan

I think if any fighter pilot in any service didnt think they could kick everybody's ass in the air, you are probably not that good of a fighter. Those type A personalities are what make you guys good at what you do.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So ghost was talking about a BVR fight. If that is the case than the Tomcat could reach out and touch the F-15C. What really matters is what you bring to the fight. How much you can contribute to the combat commanders. The Eagle is is a one trick pony. You will not see anymore single role aircraft. In order to try and saalvage the F-22 the ASF is now adding a strike capability and calling it a F/A-22, adopting a Navy designation. In the last three conflicts we have fought the Eagle did little or nothing. More often then not the wars we fight in the future will not include large scale air to air battles. In the absence of an air threat the F-15 is worthless. The F-18/F-16/F-14, and of course the Strike Eagle can still bloody the nose of our enemies while the Eagle prima donas circle the sky out of harms way. And just for those keeping score at home, the Navy always wins. We win the admiration of all every time we put on the uniform. BTW, wings are not wings! Only an AF guy would state that because it puts him in the same league as the Navy and Marines (ok Coasties too). Fact is, some look like lead, others are gold. I find one far more valuable than the others.

Av Fan

Sounds like the same usual bullsh*t recruiter propaganda. You can keep the gold-looking wings and the "f@ggoty white uniforms" as well. Just let the Air Force take care of the skies, and you guys do whatever you do with your boats. You are right about the charlie model 15s. They are pretty useless at the moment, but those pilots will be transitioned to the 22s eventually, and I dont believe you'll have much to talk about then. This is a dumb conversation anyway. It sounds like: "My dad can beat up your dad" type discussions little kids have. Alright ladies, Im out.

Originally posted by Av Fan
Sounds like the same usual bullsh*t recruiter propaganda. You can keep the gold-looking wings and the "f@ggoty white uniforms" as well. Just let the Air Force take care of the skies, and you guys do whatever you do with your boats. You are right about the charlie model 15s. They are pretty useless at the moment, but those pilots will be transitioned to the 22s eventually, and I dont believe you'll have much to talk about then. This is a dumb conversation anyway. It sounds like: "My dad can beat up your dad" type discussions little kids have. Alright ladies, Im out.

So...when's this F/A-22 transition thing happening...2010? 2015? And when you stick pylons on that thing to give it better range/bomb payload you turn your hotshot stealth fighter into just another air to mud machine. Real smart. What do you think EW is for?

Corky

Vegita,
When's the transition you ask? How about sooner than you think. I suggest you turn off the Discovery Wings channel, shut down the computer, and spend some time finding new hobbies because military aviation analyst and trash talking aren't really strengths of yours.

Aerospace Daily
August 27, 2003

F/A-22 Program Prepares To Launch Unique Training System Next Month

The first delivery of an F/A-22 Raptor to a U.S. Air Force operational squadron next month also marks the debut of a Boeing-developed training system for pilots and maintainers.

The F/A-22's sophisticated cockpit systems, driven by two million lines of software code, require unique training tools for pilots learning to fly the aircraft, Lt. Col. Jeff Harrigian, commander of the 43rd Fighter Squadron, said in an Aug. 26 interview.

For the next six months, Harrigian is leading an effort to train the aircraft's first seven instructor pilots at Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla. They eventually will help train the F/A-22 crews assigned to the first deployable squadron to be based at Langley Air Force Base, Va.

A five-week course - seven to 10 days longer than other fighter training programs - starts with dozens of hours of academic lessons, Harrigian said.

First, pilots will be introduced to the details of each of the aircraft's systems, which include an advanced electronically scanned array radar, an integrated communications, navigation and identification suite and a sophisticated diagnostic system.

Boeing designed electronic workbooks that include voice and text guides to each of the aircraft's systems. The workbook review is followed by an instructor- led multimedia course to help pilots understand components of the system.

Finally, the pilots are introduced to a weapons and tactics trainer that allows pilots to become familiar with the F/A-22's panels, switches and emergency procedures, Harrigian said.

Air Force officials have struggled to agree on how much F/A-22 pilots need to know about how the systems operate. The aircraft's avionics are designed to detect and identify system problems, then tell the pilot how to fix them.

"What we're leaning towards as a single-seat fighter pilot is you need to understand your system," Harrigian said.

The first F/A-22 delivered to Tyndall's training squadron, aircraft No. 18, has not been updated with a more reliable software system, Harrigian said. That means some of the aircraft's many avionics functions will be switched off during early flights until new updates are tested and installed.

Lockheed Martin and Air Force engineers have battled software bugs, which forced system shutdowns nearly every two hours in February. More recent software upgrades have increased the system's reliability tenfold, but the improvements are still not widely available.

The 43rd's initial cadre of seven instructor pilots will be certified by February and begin training a new class of pilots bound for the Air Combat Command's unit at Langley. Tyndall is expected to receive a new F/A-22 each month, Harrigian said.

--Stephen Trimble

T

TSPO

Originally posted by wink
We win the admiration of all every time we put on the uniform.

Uhh, negative ghostrider
thumbdn_125.gif
. Personally, I think you guys look like idiots
jester_125.gif
in those bell-bottomed monkey suits. Since your post said "admiration of all", and the word "all" would seem to encompass every living human, then you've just been proven wrong
idea_125.gif

Originally posted by wink
BTW, wings are not wings! Only an AF guy would state that because it puts him in the same league as the Navy and Marines (ok Coasties too). Fact is, some look like lead, others are gold. I find one far more valuable than the others.

If you are simple minded
boggled_125.gif
enough to judge the value of a bauble solely on its outward appearance
blindfold_125.gif
, then I've got some cubic zirconia to sell you, buddy. Fact is, the Air Force Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training is not only more structured, but also better organized and implemented
angel_125.gif
. If your idea that the measure of a good pilot can be found in the shininess of his wings
bigeyes_125.gif
is the predominate metric of the day, then I feel sorry
icon_smile_sad.gif
for the state of Naval Aviation as a whole.

(did I overdo it with the gay little animations?)

T

TSPO

No, I actually like the hornet, just not the uniform (and mine did have bellbottoms), or the boat, or the lifestyle, or practically anything else in the Navy. The avatar is there as a representation of my forum handle and the job I did while "doing my time" in the Navy. You know, I was one of those lowly enlisted flight deck pukes put on the planet to be of service to the Naval Aviator Gods, namely, the Topside Safety Petty Officer. I made the mistake of listening to my recruiter's boatload of wisdom (read: lies), but I did my time and moved on. Now I'm awaiting my shot at Air Force UPT, and with any luck and enough skill, I'll be practicing BFM against the same squids I used to ensure got a safe ride off the boat.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Uhh, negative ghostrider
thumbdn_125.gif
. Personally, I think you guys look like idiots
jester_125.gif
in those bell-bottomed monkey suits. Since your post said "admiration of all", and the word "all" would seem to encompass every living human, then you've just been proven wrong
idea_125.gif

If you are simple minded
boggled_125.gif
enough to judge the value of a bauble solely on its outward appearance
blindfold_125.gif
, then I've got some cubic zirconia to sell you, buddy. Fact is, the Air Force Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training is not only more structured, but also better organized and implemented
angel_125.gif
. If your idea that the measure of a good pilot can be found in the shininess of his wings
bigeyes_125.gif
is the predominate metric of the day, then I feel sorry
icon_smile_sad.gif
for the state of Naval Aviation as a whole.

(did I overdo it with the gay little animations?)

[/quote]

Is Air Force UPT training more structured and rigid? I might agree with you if you were a commissioned officer that had been accepted to Air Force UPT, completed it, and earned your wings. As it is, you come across very arrogant and cocky for a wanna be. Nothing wrong with a little interservice rivalry between us Winged aviators or those currently going through the program. Naval flight training has its good and bad points. Neither of the flight training programs are superior to the other and the end result of both is usually a highly trained pilot ready to do his/her duty.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Av Fan
You wouldnt know it from most of the people on this board.

Couldn't agree with you more. Although it seems to be just a few, it's amazing at some of the attitudes that come across on this site, especially from the non-aviators.

airwinger

pilot
While at TBS, I avoided going through Vance for primary as much as possible. A big reason was that I felt that I had done my basic officer training, and my Air Force peers said that UPT was where they did their's. It is a decision I celebrate whenever I meet Marines that went to Vance.

Personally looking at the way the Navy/Marine Corps does business I think they structured flight training to produce the product they need. When flying off a ship away from the brass, no one will be there to tell you exactly what to do, just as no one at flight school tells you to study. This leads to the famous "If its not forbidden you can do it". On the other hand the Air Force "If it's not authorized you can't do it" needs a disctintly different training mentality hence the 12 hour formal release thing at UPT.
semper fi,
airwinger

Status
Not open for further replies.