• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aimpoint or EoTech?

Bevo16

pilot
Thread resurection time....

And a u-turn.

Some fun stuff has happened since this thread popped up, and a lot of my opinions have changed.

First of all, I have gotten some pretty cool carbine instruction. The folks who know a lot more about this stuff than I do and have been coaching me up gave me their seal of approval with my skill level with irons, and even sang some of the virtues (speed mostly) of the red dot. The man that I trust most on the subject (a SEAL Master Chief) is solidly an EO Tech fan, so I took his advice and went that route:

6014_104052805652_698645652_2492011_3244323_n.jpg

That is the 516 mounted on my Rock River. I did a shit-ton of research to decide which model to go with. I actually had a 553 on order, but the gun shop that I was getting it from went out of business before it came off back order. After taking a look at my budget, I decided that I did not really need the quick release levers (you can co-witness the sights, so when am I really going to need to take the thing off in a hurry?), and I could get the same unit for about $100 less by getting the 556. Then I decided that I did not really need NVG compatibility and saved another $100 by stepping (down?) to the 516. Same electronics as the other models, but much cheaper. I don't own my own NVGs, so if I ever need to employ that gear it will be issued to me.

So I made the purchase last week from These guys. Can't say enough about Midway. Fast shipping, real people on the line when you call the number, good prices. I will do business with them again.

I got the sight mounted this past weekend, and got a rough zero in. I was shooting with both my dad and my brother (with his new rifle) at a friends house here in Tennessee. Most of the focus was on getting their gear sighted in so I did not get mine quite down to a gnat's ass. My dad did though...

Quick tangent here..My dad is in his early 60's and has been having some trouble at the rage lately with his eyesight. Dad has always been one hell of a shot, and it sucked to see him struggle picking up the front sight and shoot groups that he was not really proud of. The fat front sight post of the AR-15 was not helping him much, and he was not enjoying our trips to the range as much as he used to. After about 20 rounds this weekend, he shot a 9 round group at 30 yards that he could cover with a quarter. The smile on his face was great, and his endorsement of the EO Tech was "This thing is the cat's ass." Those of you from the south know that is a good thing.

Today I went back to get my unit fine tuned. Here are the results.

6014_104052810652_698645652_2492012_7786807_n.jpg

You can see from the dime that the 2 rounds on the paper are pretty close together. You have to take my word for it that I only fired 3 rounds at the dime to get the 3 hits. This shooting was done at 25 yards. This EO Tech thing is the cat's ass.

A few notes:

-One of the influences for me to get the EO Tech was making a decision on what I wanted the rifle set up to be. Getting an M1A (a long range rifle with more power) made the CQB setup more logical. Now I have to save up to get some glass on that rifle...hopefully before deer season, or I am going to hunt open sights.

-I started out by sighting in with a target with a 1 inch round bull. That was good for a rough zero, but the dot was 1/4 the size of the target at 25 yards. I had to get a target with a smaller center to get as good as I want it.

-The main aspect where the EO Tech is superior to open sights is with the precision of the sight picture. No matter how good you are with iron sights, one thing that is ALWAYS going to limit you is the front sight post. The thing is just plain fat. Having shot steel targets beyond 200 yards where the target is 1/3 the size of the sight post, or paper targets at 25 yards where the bull is 3x the sight post, there is just some slop that is going to come into play. The "doughnut of death" is going to come into play for speed later on, but the precision of the 1 MOA center dot has cut my group size from about 2 inches with iron sights to 1/2 inch.

-I am normally a stubborn bastard, but I have found that having a lot of flexibility with it comes my opinions on firearms is a good thing. Getting good advice and instruction from smart/experienced folks that I respect has been really helpful. Don't be afraid to change your opinions about this stuff. I did, and I am glad to admit that I really love this "toy" that I scoffed at not to long ago.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
My eyes are going too. If you can't see the front sight post you just can't shoot so these red dot sights have been a blessing for me as well. The EoTech redicle is fast as hell on target so that's what I shoot most of the time.

Look what I bumped into the other day. It will never replace my EoTech or T-1 but it was on sale at Midway the last week of June for $79.99 and I couldn't resist. Now it's back up to $99.99 but for that price it still may be worth a look for a range toy.

This weekend I'm going to stick it on my new FN SLP and see if I can break it. If it lives thru that it's going on an AK scout mount. If the heat doesn't kill it, even a 100 bucks will have been a bargin.

http://www.intlmidway.com/intl/eproductpage.exe/ShowProduct?saleitemid=318955

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thread resurrection...

After putting some more rounds through my shiny new M4gery that you guys helped me build, I was thinking of getting some sort of optic in a few months. The Aimpoint vs ACOG issues was of course the question. Down the line I wanted to build a NFA SBR so getting an Aimpoint would have been a great compromise...I could use it on the current gun and then put it on the "next" gun down the road.

However, I found a ACOG TA01NSN (I like having the BUIS) on Gunbroker w/ a modified drop compensator that's all red instead of amber (which I've read is hard to see). It's used but looks to be in good shape and from what I've read here, ACOGs are pretty sturdy anyway. He's asking $780, which seems like a decent deal. I'm seeing new ones (w/ amber BDCs) for $850. It also has a Killflash, but honestly, I don't plan on hunting insurgents in Jacksonville, so that's just an extra.

Thoughts? Am I just making an excuse to buy an ACOG? Is that a bad thing?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was just doing the ACOG debate this past week, but then again I might end up hunting insurgents while here in Afghanistan. For me, the Aimpoint CCO just isn't effective for what I'm doing. In the 2 IED attacks I've been through (with the second being a complex attack) I've found that not having magnification is a major downside. First I ordered a pair of Nikon 8x binos. I carry those with me both outside of the wire and in my fighting position. It's probably the best weapon I have. But I also have the 3x Aimpoint magnifier on in front of my CCO but I'd prefer an actual sight that has both. I started looking at the ACOGs but ended up ordering a Leupold Mk 4 1.5-5x20mm. It's NVG compatible and offers the variable zoom with good eye relief. That's why I chose it anyway. I'll post again once I get it (in another 2-3 weeks???).

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
While I was TAD to Dalghren this summer, I ambushed the Trijicon headquarters in VA. No free samples, but a great bunch of people.

They are not indestructible, but it takes a serious ass whooping to break them. I took the same one to Afghanistan twice, and I never had any issues. Hell, I zeroed mine on the range in late 2007, verified zero in Afghanistan in Feb 2008, beat the shit out of it rolling and flying around for eight months, went back to the range in 2009 with it still zeroed, deployed again for a year, and it was still zeroed when I came back.

I have, however, seen what happens when a 107mm rocket hits/impacts near one, and you'll want to stay away from those.

I view them as different tools for different situations, but I dont think you can go wrong witheither Aimpoint, or Trijicon.

ryan1234

I've been going back and forth on what to get for my Sig.

I used an ACOG the other day on someone's AR, and it's nice for downrange targets - but doesn't seem to be good all around for the house, close type stuff (if that were to ever happen)

Something with a 1-4 type magnification....

Of course the crown jewel would be the S&B 1.1-4x Short Dot - trying to find a somewhat lower cost alternative, but somewhat higher than the Millet. I've heard Leupold's quality has gone down a bit recently... anything suggestions?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have, however, seen what happens when a 107mm rocket hits/impacts near one, and you'll want to stay away from those.

25m from my beehut. There wasn't an ACOG around to see what you're talking about, but I get the idea.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I view them as different tools for different situations, but I dont think you can go wrong witheither Aimpoint, or Trijicon.

Well, duh!

No seriously, thanks for the input. It is another great data point. I guess I was trying to figure out if it was worth buying it now for that price (and it being used but w/ a nice factory mod) when I don't really "need" it now, or waiting and seeing if I "need" it later and pay what looks to be ~$50-100 more.

This one is a little dirty, but otherwise the pic looks okay. What would I be worried about when random 107mm rockets hit?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
W What would I be worried about when random 107mm rockets hit?

Usually the thought process is: What the F was that? Oh crap! IOTV.... ouch, shoulders hurt from dismounted patrol earlier... (siren starts going off) ... glasses... ok good... helmet... rifle..... backpack... wait did I put the nods in there?... yeah ok... anything else?... nope... run run ... ugh... run.... I need a different backpack... run run...
A few moments later arriving at my fighting position: "Howdy" .... that bastard has a lot shorter distance to run.... ok.... where are the Taleebs?...

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor

Up close, it's hard to beat a CCO like the Aimpoint. However, if you're routinely shooting at ranges past 150M, something with 3/4x magnification couldn't hurt.

As mentioned above, they're two different tools for different jobs. It just depends on what you're going to be doing more of.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
The last time I was rocketed (as opposed to shot at, etc), was 70 hours from leaving country in 2008. I was in the hangar aboard Kandahar, sending some emails, and waiting for the all hands urinalysis line to die down. (Yeah, I know.) Two rounds hit about 100m away, sending frag bouncing through the place. Luckily, no one was hurt, but they cancelled the piss test. I never did get to pee on the meatgazer's shoes...

Anyway, some of the frag put a big ass hole right over top of the hangar door, a piece or two punctured a 53 sitting nearby, and all I could think about was how I was way, way too short for that kind of shit.

Tommy Taliban also got lucky earlier in the deployment, and put one about 3m from a rifle with an ACOG (RCO for you Marine types). Split it open like an overripe melon, but since it was on a rack and away from it's owner, didn't injure anyone. It was also not only verifiable as an ACOG, but the serial number was still legible.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Usually the thought process is: What the F was that? Oh crap! IOTV.... ouch, shoulders hurt from dismounted patrol earlier... (siren starts going off) ... glasses... ok good... helmet... rifle..... backpack... wait did I put the nods in there?... yeah ok... anything else?... nope... run run ... ugh... run.... I need a different backpack... run run...
A few moments later arriving at my fighting position: "Howdy" .... that bastard has a lot shorter distance to run.... ok.... where are the Taleebs?...

I meant more as it pertains to a damaged ACOG, but important safety note, nonetheless.

Tommy Taliban also got lucky earlier in the deployment, and put one about 3m from a rifle with an ACOG (RCO for you Marine types). Split it open like an overripe melon, but since it was on a rack and away from it's owner, didn't injure anyone. It was also not only verifiable as an ACOG, but the serial number was still legible.

Sheesh. Though I am surprised that they didn't re-start the piss test later after the other attack. We have to have our priorities.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Thoughts? Am I just making an excuse to buy an ACOG? Is that a bad thing?

I have an ACOG (the Marine A4 issue version) but other than killing a hog with it I haven't shot it much at all. It's an amazing piece of gear and if I was in Afghanistan I'd pick it ahead of an Aimpoint for sure. It just doesn't fit the way I shoot here at home. Most of what I do is blast away at paper and steel targets out to 100 yards with the rare shot out to 200. If my eyes were 20 years younger I'd be plenty happy with irons but I haven't seen my front sight post for some time now.

As it is I've always been torn between EoTech and Aimpoint. I love the Eotech's reticle. It's super fast for me. Everybody knows that the battery life isn't the best but that never bothered me. What does bother me is to open up one of my EoTechs and find the battery compartment corroded all to hell. It's a known problem so I sent it back to the factory and they made it right. I'll keep shooting the 2 Eotech's I have but I'm not going to buy another one.

I've gotten much quicker with my Aimpoint T-1. It's the shitz. A couple of weeks ago I treated myself to an Aimpoint Comp M4S. It's a tank compared to the T-1 but I love it. It feels almost as rugged as an ACOG. You never turn it off and you still get 8 YEARS of battery life out of a single AA battery.

I guess I'm an Aimpoint shooter now. Unless I can talk myself into a Short Dot......

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I've been going back and forth on what to get for my Sig.

I used an ACOG the other day on someone's AR, and it's nice for downrange targets - but doesn't seem to be good all around for the house, close type stuff (if that were to ever happen)

Something with a 1-4 type magnification....

Of course the crown jewel would be the S&B 1.1-4x Short Dot - trying to find a somewhat lower cost alternative, but somewhat higher than the Millet. I've heard Leupold's quality has gone down a bit recently... anything suggestions?

Back when I was looking into it Trijicon had a 1 -4x Short Dot alternative that seemed decent for $800 or so.