• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aimpoint or EoTech?

utak

Hey guys,

Thinking of getting a nice little red dot sight in the future . . . I'm looking at either the Aimpoint T-1 Micro or the EoTech XPS, both are little compact sights that get the job done.

I've noticed quite a big debate on the merits of each. What would you guys recommend?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
It would be hard to go wrong with either one. I own an Aimpoint T-1 Micro and it is one tough little machine. Expensive too! I own a couple of regular sized EoTechs and Aimpoints as well. I'm always torn between the super fast "ring and dot" reticle of the EoTech and the size and ruggedness of the T-1.

I guess if I had to choose one it would be the T-1 Micro for battery life if nothing else.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Kinda depends on the application. What are you planning on mounting it up on?

and where.....my T-1 is sometimes mounted on an Ultimak rail above the gas tube of an AK. It gets hot as hell there and keeps on pluggin

Bevo16

pilot
Nick,

I was asking the exact same question to a buddy of mine here who is a SEAL Master Chief and works over in the detail shop. His response was that he and virtually everyone that he knows prefers iron sights. His rationale was that you don't want your life depending on a battery, and that all of those fancy optics created tunnel vision and target fixation.

I trust his advice, and "being practical over 'tacti-cool'" saved me a few hundred bucks. He did add that the Traijicon ACOG line is a really quality product, and that any optic that does not offer magnification was just a useless toy.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
He did add that the Traijicon ACOG line is a really quality product, and that any optic that does not offer magnification was just a useless toy.

I cant speak to shooting at people with an AR but I have used half a dozen or more sighting systems and the only one I have found worth a damn is the ACOG. I would rather use iron over a red dot anyday of the week, but an ACOG really does make a difference, especially shooting at longer ranges.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Funny ... I was gonna' say "buy 'em both", 'cause I have some examples of each and I think they're great -- I think the EoTech is a little "quicker" and (for me) the Aimpoint(s) work a little better for longer shots .... but:

I don't get enough "trigger time" on them to justify the thousand$$$$$$ I've spent on them -- I suspect neither will most of you. My go-to home defense long guns have iron sights only -- one has the addition of a white light.

Electric sights (that's as w/a battery) are good and I'd try as many of 'em as the bank account will allow .... always try to expand your horizons ... but at the end of the day; the basics still apply.

lmnop

I'll second what Bevo said on the ACOGs, they're a great product. If you have the coin, throw a Docter or a Jpoint on an ACOG and you have a really good combo for multiple situations.

JPTAJPoints.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You have not been watching the stock market and unemployment numbers, have you? ;)
Sure I have ... that's why I'm filling some more sand bags and figuring where I want to place the Claymore's around the last redoubt .... :)

Bevo16

pilot
OK, good. At least I am not the only one clearing sight lines and reinforcing my position.

utak

Nick, I thought you were in the Teams. Was I wrong about that one?

I'm a BUD/S med drop, now turned FO stud in advanced.

I asked a lot of my old classmates who made it to the Teams and their opinions is as varied as here. Some liked the EoTech recticle, some hated the "EoTurd", and others just hated red dot sights in general.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Nick,

I was asking the exact same question to a buddy of mine here who is a SEAL Master Chief and works over in the detail shop. His response was that he and virtually everyone that he knows prefers iron sights. His rationale was that you don't want your life depending on a battery, and that all of those fancy optics created tunnel vision and target fixation.

I trust his advice, and "being practical over 'tacti-cool'" saved me a few hundred bucks. He did add that the Traijicon ACOG line is a really quality product, and that any optic that does not offer magnification was just a useless toy.

Used it, loved it, still prefer iron sights.