• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AH-1Z and UH1Y

Status
Not open for further replies.

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
something new i learned today is that the yankee is going to have the upgraded t700 engines while the zulu is going to stay with the current version. i think the original plan of giving them both more power changed. maybe that attributes to the performance issues above.

i cant wait until that first mixed section with a huey in front about two miles and the cobra guys just refusing to say they are pulling all they got.. haaaa. that'll be something!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Think that will make up for all the years and years of listening to leadfoot calls from a huey. It's like taking your little sister to the mall just kidding well sort of

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
While we're on topic, could someone explain the roll of the Huey in the Marine Corps. I have never really looked into it. It's a nice aircraft just never reallly thought about it's position in the MAGTF. Thanks.

thanks for the encouragement. the biggest problem i face now is height restrictions and eyes, not being female. as for changing my mind, it's highly possible. being NROTC, there is almost no chance for us to actually see what it's like in the air until flight school. because while the Navy options are off on their 1st class flight cruise, we're at lovely Quantico, VA, getting our asses ripped at OCS. but for the week i spent during our 3rd class cruise in San Diego, i think this is what i want to focus on... and i'd like to say i'm doing pretty well in the meantime.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The role of the Huey is a little of everything they may be shooting in a CAS role one day then inserting recon/snipers the next flying as a command and control another and serving as a forward air control platform the next. They are the jack of all trades master of none platform. Rgiht now they face some limitation based on engines and weight so the biggest thing they bring to the fight is a great FLIR 3 radios and a crew that usually has incredibally good SA and can manage a fight.

The Hueys are slated to get the T700-401Cs while the cobras will keep th T700-401s until they run out and then allegedly we get the 401cs.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Active Duty:
14 squadrons of 12 CH-46E's
6 squadrons of 18 CH-53E's
3 squadrons of 12 CH-53D's
6 squadrons of 18 AH-1W's and 9 UH-1N's

(Squadrons are not always up to T/O of aircraft)
That's my best guess - if anybody has newer data, please post it.

TANGO 1

Contributor
so really what are the possibilities of getting what you want to fly as far as helos, say heuys or cobras?

triplejayz

snake driver
Chances vary from week to week...depends on the number of slots for each airframe (sometimes as high as 4 and as low as 0) and also who you select with. If the Marines you select with don't want the same airframe, then you have a much higher chance of getting the airframe you want. They say that the highest grade gets their choice, after that it is a quality spread for everyone else. They try to give you either your airframe or coast...in the end higher will let you know where you are going and what you'll be flying...best bet is to enjoy the flying and think how lucky you are to not be the adj in 29 Palms!

triplejayz

snake driver
It's pretty tough to gauge since I'm still in the early stages of the program. I know there are 2 that want Cobras for sure, another 2 that talk of wanting skids, and the remaining 4 or 5 are 53 and 46 guys. Talking with some of the recently winged, seems that there are normally a high number of people early in the program that want Cobras, that change their minds throughout the course of Advanced...whether it be from flying certain flights that mimic what the 46/53 do more of or from talking to different instructors and finding a community that they like more. We'll see how many put Cobras down as their top 2 choices come winging.

TANGO 1

Contributor
Now skids are the Heuys correct.
When you talking about the way they fly, you mean the kind of flying lesson and instructions you get from flight school. Now what would you mean by the way they fly, could you give an example.
Thanks

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
tango, you're killing me. you're asking questions at a rate of 34 per day.

yes, everyone is here to discuss aviation and learn from each other. but you're driving a few people batty with all the clueless posts. just some friendly advice, but you have to go to some of the older posts and pick up information there. also, do google searches on some of the things you're wondering about.

www.fas.org will keep anyone busy learning and it's actually a solid source for unclassified information.

Status
Not open for further replies.