• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AH-1Z and UH1Y

Status
Not open for further replies.

Check Six

Just wondering what any USMC aviators in this forum thought about the new AH1Z and UH1Y. I was at Pax River recently and got to do an air to air photo shoot of them both and was very suitably impressed.

Check Six :icon_smil

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can't wait until they come online, the improved capability will be great. Fully aerobatic will be nice as well.

triplejayz

snake driver
Those are my first two choices on preference card when I finish advanced helos. They have cruise airspeeds of 164 (AH-1Z) and 167 (UH-1Y) with the cobras max airspeed up to 220 knots. Skidkid added another great point that the cobra is aerobatic capable (I've seen the video of them doing Split-S). They both are just huge increases in mission capabilities. We'll see how long it will be before a squadron will have the full compliment of these models.

Check Six

Few images from my photo shoot with the new toys. Hope you enjoy them.

pax001.jpg

pax009.jpg

pax014.jpg

pax021.jpg

pax027.jpg

triplejayz

snake driver
I read on Bell's webpage that the controls of the cobra are identical for front and rear cockpit, but they are not identical to that of the Huey. They said that they are very similiar and that dual aircraft ratings would take little extra training. For anyone interested in what Bell is putting out there on the new H-1's here is the website (they also have a few other Military airframes as well):

http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en/aircraft/military/

Hey Check Six - awesome pics...how did you get to pull these off?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes. all composite rotor head no moving parts. and a FLIR that can see a man sized target at 10+ klicks

Check Six

Triplejayz - I own and publish a military aviation trade magazine, called Check Six which covers rotary and plank wings. Gives me some great opportunities as you can see. Have got to fly in everything from Hornets, to Tomcats, to F-15s, Kfirs, etc.

One of the perks of the job is being able to shoot aircraft such as the Z and Y.

Regards

Check Six

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
I'm interested to see the skid's airspeeds with full ordnance loads - wonder if the Huey will be significantly faster due to (I would think) higher parasitic drag on the Cobra. Also curious to know when they will be arriving in fleet squadrons.

Check Six, welcome aboard. Been to New Zealand several times (Auckland, Hamilton, Christchurch) and loved it. Mac's Gold HAS to be the best beer in the world....

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
only thing is... a huey flying with the doors open has an airspeed limitation. right now it's 120 kt, while the max speed is 130.. so, curious to see if they are able to raise that limitation. hueys rarely fly with the doors closed.

triplejayz

snake driver
According to Bell's website the Cobra's (Z) MCP Speed is 155 Knots and Max speed in a dive is 222 Knots. Same website has the Huey (Y) with a MCP Speed of 158 Knots and Max Dive speed of 198 Knots. The perfomance numbers for the Cobra were stated as Anti-Armor Mission Profile and the Huey was in a Troop Insertion Profile (3000 ft at 33 degrees C).

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe its jsut the Chauvenist in me but I find it very hard to believe the Huey will ever be faster than a Cobra too many calls for knots when flying mixed sections can get very painful but who knows. Im guessing anti armor is 16 hellfires and 2 sidewinders and troop insertion is slick so maybe

assuming i get my eyes fixed and pass my aviation preflight physical, am i chasing after a dream of flying either the Cobra or Huey that i will not be able to attain since i am female? i have heard gouge both ways, but i think we are allowed, even though we're technically not allowed into "combat arms" MOS's.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Yes, females can fly the Huey and the Cobra. The first one was assigned back in '98/'99.

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
all the hmla's have 2 to 4 wm--- i mean, female pilots. just as much of a chance for girls to get what they want as anyone else. especially with this totally 'ass'inine system they have going with the quality spread.

thing is though armstrong, over the course of the whole process your mind will probably change or be changed by others several times. just set your sights on one step at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.