• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age Waiver question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
OCS is so short and they cycle so many Candidates through, they can't afford to keep anyone there to recover. I got six stitches in the back of my head about 3 weeks in and it wasn't a problem. I broke my foot on the washboard trail at the end of the crucible (still finished) and they let me stay on (I was #2 in the company). They used my initial PFT score and I had already finished all of the other graded PT events. A friend of mine ended up getting cellulitis and knocked himself dingy for a couple of days. They sent him home, but he was allowed to return the next year. I think it just depends on how bad you want it. If they can tell you want to return and be an officer, they'll work with you.

DevilDog

thartley, that's good advice. thanks for the info. and the help.
Originally posted by thartley
If this is what you want don't let anyone stop you including yourself. It is tough to keep motivated but if this is what you want keep going. I just got my wings a week ago and never really thought I would get this far. I keep surpising everyone including my self. If you want to talk some more email me at thartley@hotmail.com

napkin

JF...I got thru to pick-up day but had severe shin splints. I wanted to stay and continue the course but the CO denied me. He said he couldn't enter me into training due to the extreme physical nature and the fact that I would probably end up hurt anyway. I'd be a liability rather than an asset.

My buddy is down there now and he funnels a ton of information to me via letters.

You're right in understanding that OCS just sends you home if you get hurt whereas boot camp sends you somewhere to get better. It is certainly a scary subject but don't worry about it since there's nothing you can do. Basically...if you're hurt then you're hurt; it's that simple.

Good luck!!!

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
It's not uncommon to be limping for graduation.

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
That's right! They say treat the pain before it develops into a full blown injury. But, they also tell you that if you get hurt, you go home and have to start all over from day one again. NOBODY wants to do that!

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Shin splints and stress fractures seem to be the most common injuries that send Candidates home. I had shin splints in just one leg, and I stretched alot after Taps. I would sit on the deck with my legs extended and a buddy would push my toes until they were almost touching the deck for a count of 10 and then push them back towards my chest for a count of 10. It really works. I got that info from a doc back in my old Infantry unit and still use it to this day. They also have ice available. Once Taps has been sounded, you can go to the quarter deck and get ice out of the freezer, no one gives you any crap about that. I sure took advantage.

Dirty Harry

JF

Thanks for the advice E5B. Thats my worry shin splints, but I ll try that technique. How many "sets" of that stretch did you do per night? Or do you just do it till you feel better.

tflexxin

JF,
I had tons of problems in my first season of off season training when playing football in college. I can tell you that E5B's methods of stretching are the real key, as well as ice on the shins anytime you feel that they ar hurting. Another way to stretch them is to sit on your knees with your toes pointer behind you, and sit back on your heels, pushing the heel down and stretching out the front of your shin. Can be a little painful, but works for me. The other key, and I think E5B will concur, is to RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN. You must make your body used to the pounding it will take in OCS. Unless you've already been in the Marines, you have no idea how much you are on your feet moving quickly in this type of environment. Remember the "SIX P's RULE" Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. It's the only way....

JF

Thanks for the advice tflexxin. I ve been running 6 days a week or so at a good pace. I do however do one or two 7+ miles runs at a slower pace. The real test will come with boots though. My OSO says be real careful with them at first cause they can cause a lot of pain. He also says the biggest thing to avoid in the month or two before shipping out is injuries. I plan to buy a pair of boots when I hopefully get official word that I am in. I figure that will give me a little over a month to break them in and starting running with them.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, running in boots is a must. Get your body used to the impact of running with boots, just don't over do it, like your OSO said. Before I shipped, I would run 3 PFT's a week, and one of them would be in "boots and Uts", just to get used to it. (the other running days would be long, slow jogs, with a couple sets of sprints at the end)

I usually stretched for 10-15 minutes on my shins alone.

Dirty Harry

tflexxin

E5B
Are you serious? 3 PFT's a week? I was planning on working up to a 5-6 mile jog once a week, at PT pace, usually quite a bit slower than PFT pace, with two other days running 3-4 miles at PFT pace, which is around 9-10 MPH, which = 18 min 3 miles. I also have to run on the treadmill because the weather is starting to deteriorate rapidly. It's a good training method though because you know the speed at which you are running and can set the time, essentially forcing a perfect 18 minute 3 mile with training. Now if I could just figure out the pullups, working on the Armstrong technique.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, I started that about 2 months before I shipped, both summers. I ran 6 times a week, 3 PFT's and 3 long distance. I don't do that anymore, just for a pre-ship workout.

Dirty Harry

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
t,
If it's starting to fet cold where you are at, buy one of those vinyl sauna suit tops and run in that. Just wear it under your sweatshirt when you go for a run, but be sure you are well hydrated when you do it. The suit keeps the heat in around your body, so it'll actually feel warmer when you run. This way you can kind of get used to runing in the hot humid weather that you will experience in Quantico.
Another technique for shinsplints that worked for me was to trace the alphabet with my feet while sitting, doing one foor at a time.

Q

Marine Helo Pilot

marti

My OSO told me that the new boots being issued at OCS require no break in. Is this really true? What's the deal?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, I just bought a pair, and they are nice. No break-in required, no polish required. And for those of you that don't know, the new cammies don't have to be ironed and fit quite nicely. OCS is also issuing 2 sets of the new cammies.

I don't know what the deal is Marti...

Dirty Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.