• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age Waiver question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilDog

OK Marines, this is my first post so be gentle. I was Active Duty Marine Corps from 1990-94. Currently, I’m about to graduate with a BS in management on 12/15/02, one day after my 31st birthday. I would like to join again but I think my age is going to be a problem. And if I do join I would like to be a pilot or maybe an Intel officer.

What are my chances of becoming a pilot? ZERO? 1 and a million?

Please, provide me with as much feedback as possible because I don’t want to get the runaround from OSO the next time I visit them. I spoke to an OSO about a year ago and they basically blew me off and said I would be too old by the time I graduated—the conversation lasted about two minutes. But, them I started doing research on my own this year and found this website and others that have given me hope. I’ve been very successful in the civilian world, but I can’t seem to get over the Marine Corps, so please help me.

Rhetorical question of the day: Why am I too old to be an officer and a pilot, but still young enough to be an E-4?

DevilDog

So Crowbar, the guy who was 32yrs old was he aviation or ground? Thanks for the help.
Originally posted by Crowbar
For what it's worth, I spoke to (no email, no phone call, no fax, no second hand info) the head of Marine Corps Officer Procurement this summer. I actually stood in his presence as he spoke the gospel to me. Here is what he said:

Max age to be a pilot: 30 yrs. Take it or leave it.
Max age to get commissioned: 35 yrs. Take it or leave it.

If you have an OSO who is blowing you off, he/she must not take the job seriously. Forget that 30yr age limit-I am in a commissioning program right now and someone who got into the program THE SAME TIME AS I DID was 32. Waivers can AND DO exist. Good luck!

Rainman

pilot
Did you tell that OSO you were prior service? Strange. The climate a couple years ago was to not make age (in Marines, not Navy) an issue if you can run a good PFT. I was 28 with no prior service and got waivered right in. Some OSOs are better at their jobs than others. . "dare" him to send your pkg in and go for it.

Crowbar

None
Devil Dog-
I don't know how familiar you are with MECEP, not sure how big it was in the early 90's. That's what I'm in. We (MECEP students) are all accepted into the program on basically an "open contract". We can apply for an air contract if we wish, otherwise, we do the MOS shuffle at TBS along with everyone else. Obviously the grand old man of MECEP Prep 2002 wasn't eligible for a flight contract, but he will go to OCS next summer regardless.

Plus, the way I see it, even if I don't get an air guarantee myself, there are plenty of other jobs out there I would like. Air Support Control, Air Traffic Control, Comm, Combat Engineer, the list goes on and on. Of course, I just like being a Marine and being around other Marines, so it's hard to go wrong there...

DevilDog

joshmountain, I did tell him I was prior service, but he didn't appear interested. I didn't even get around to PFT times or anything else. Maybe, he just had plenty of young 20yr olds interested at the time and he didn't want to waste his time on me. I did all the talking, and he just said that I would be too old. Anyway, maybe I'll get a better response this time around provided different Marines are running the place.
Originally posted by joshmountain
Did you tell that OSO you were prior service? Strange. The climate a couple years ago was to not make age (in Marines, not Navy) an issue if you can run a good PFT. I was 28 with no prior service and got waivered right in. Some OSOs are better at their jobs than others. . "dare" him to send your pkg in and go for it.

DevilDog

Crowbar, I am familiar with MECEP, but at the time I wanted to keep my options open and didn't want to commit to anything. I thought I could graduate in 4 years and then decide, but that didn't happen.

The only other thing I would consider doing besides aviation in the Marine Corps is Intel. Reason being, I'm already a Marine, once a Marine always a Marine, I still celebrate the birthday just like any other active duty Marine. I don't want to go Active Duty only to find out I hate my job, but love being a Marine.

Anyway, this website is very useful and I like reading all the posts.

Thanks
Originally posted by Crowbar
Devil Dog-
I don't know how familiar you are with MECEP, not sure how big it was in the early 90's. That's what I'm in. We (MECEP students) are all accepted into the program on basically an "open contract". We can apply for an air contract if we wish, otherwise, we do the MOS shuffle at TBS along with everyone else. Obviously the grand old man of MECEP Prep 2002 wasn't eligible for a flight contract, but he will go to OCS next summer regardless.

Plus, the way I see it, even if I don't get an air guarantee myself, there are plenty of other jobs out there I would like. Air Support Control, Air Traffic Control, Comm, Combat Engineer, the list goes on and on. Of course, I just like being a Marine and being around other Marines, so it's hard to go wrong there...

davidsin

I was told that if you have prior service you can get in at up to age 34 with a 4 year waiver. You should not give up so easy. I got brushed off by the capt. OSO the first time I went it, but I was relentless about it. I twisted a major's arm in another OSO office to talk to the Capt to help me out. Everything worked out fine. They always got 100 excuses not to let someone in because it's more paperwork for them. They'd rather get someone in that requires less paper work. But if you show determination, they'll help you out.

Semper Fi

thartley

There is a Marine who just got his wings two months ago who was 35 and prior service. Is the oldest to go through flight school with out being an NFO transition or Flight Surgeoning

napkin

I personally obtained an age waiver at 32 and attended OCS last summer. Furthermore, I went in with an NFO contract. Unfotunately I NPQ'd for medical reasons. I'm trying again for January with the same NFO contract, same age waiver, and will turn 33 while at OCS. So it can be done. My PFT scores were in the 260-270 range.

If your OSO is dragging his feet with your package then find someone else who will work with you. Exceptions are made all the time. Remember this is your career so don't let a chump-OSO ruin it before it begins.

I can tell you my previous OCS experience taught me that the PFT scores sent down with your package are inflated. Real life at OCS is a world apart. For example, your chin-ups must be perfect-NO EXCEPTIONS, the crunches must be perfect-NO EXCEPTIONS, and the three mile run is more like four miles with hills.

Good luck--IT CAN BE DONE!!!

Napkin

DevilDog

napkin were you active duty when you were given a waiver or were you in my situation? I'm going to an OSO probably next month but I want to run some more and then time myself to see how fast I'm going.
Originally posted by napkin
I personally obtained an age waiver at 32 and attended OCS last summer. Furthermore, I went in with an NFO contract. Unfotunately I NPQ'd for medical reasons. I'm trying again for January with the same NFO contract, same age waiver, and will turn 33 while at OCS. So it can be done. My PFT scores were in the 260-270 range.

If your OSO is dragging his feet with your package then find someone else who will work with you. Exceptions are made all the time. Remember this is your career so don't let a chump-OSO ruin it before it begins.

I can tell you my previous OCS experience taught me that the PFT scores sent down with your package are inflated. Real life at OCS is a world apart. For example, your chin-ups must be perfect-NO EXCEPTIONS, the crunches must be perfect-NO EXCEPTIONS, and the three mile run is more like four miles with hills.

Good luck--IT CAN BE DONE!!!

Napkin

DevilDog

Thanks thartley, now I don't feel as old. If this OSO gives me trouble, I'm just going to drive to Houston, I think there is one there. This really motivates me because I've been running half-heartedly and now I feel I can pick up the pace. Thanks!
Originally posted by thartley
There is a Marine who just got his wings two months ago who was 35 and prior service. Is the oldest to go through flight school with out being an NFO transition or Flight Surgeoning

thartley

If this is what you want don't let anyone stop you including yourself. It is tough to keep motivated but if this is what you want keep going. I just got my wings a week ago and never really thought I would get this far. I keep surpising everyone including my self. If you want to talk some more email me at thartley@hotmail.com

napkin

I was not prior service nor on active duty before pursuing a commission. I worked with an OSO who was willing to work with me despite my perceived disadvantages. He obtained the age waiver and hooked me up with a Major who interviewed me and wrote an excellent recommendation.

I also met another Major even before the process began who was very positive when I inquired about being too old and almost 33.

Once you're down there age is nothing but a number. You will be given no sympathy and should expect nothing. As far as OCS is concerned you are simply a candidate and one step away from being sent home...PERIOD!!

JF

Hey napkin, just curious. What type of injury and how far along were you? Also anyone know the overall drop rate for injuries and how severe then need to be for them to send you home? I know at Boot Camp you go to something called an injury platoon? But at OCS you get sent home. This is probably the most scary prospect for me. Leaving my current job and if I get injured, coming home to nothing but a lot of bills. Any info appreciated.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
In boot camp it used to be called (may still be):

MRP-Medical Recovery Plt

PCP-Physical Conditioning Plt or "Pork-Chop Plt"

Its amazing the things you remember...

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.