• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

After the Navy?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Wow. This is a complete 180 from everything I have ever been told. One of the things my dad showed me when I was deciding whether to go to the academy was what opportunities where available to the guys (and girls) that were getting out. At the time he was working in admissions at USNA and Coca-Cola had just hired 3 of his LTs. A LCDR in admissions who had recieved his masters from GT on the Navy's dime went to work for Morgan Stanley. He has since left Morgan Stanley and helps run his own firm that tried to purchase the Washington Nationals about a year ago. Another family friend left the Navy to run Giants stadium. He has since run Yankee stadium, and Disney Motorsports. So what gives? Are the numerous people I have met or heard of the exception to the rule?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
So what gives? Are the numerous people I have met or heard of the exception to the rule?

Large Navy... lots of people with different ambitions ending up in different places. Just like everything else, luck and timing probably played a large part in where the guys you mentioned ended up.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Just like everything else, luck and timing probably played a large part in where the guys you mentioned ended up.

Wouldn't this hold true for those "ivey league pricks" mentioned above?

All of those guys were VP by the way.

helo_wifey

Yeah, the Service member works the 1st 20yrs, their spouse works the 2nd 20yrs...

how about the spouse works her a** off too and they retire together in a whirlwind of margaritas and vacation homes? eh eh? you imply some of us don't pull their own weight ;)

That orange flightsuit is hot...and in combo with the moustache, he really must be a lady killer.

East

东部
Contributor
Don't be hard on the guy...he's an Aardvark!;)

Attachments

• f14-squadron-logo-vf114-02.gif
    f14-squadron-logo-vf114-02.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 45

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick

It sure would. Look, credentials can only get you so far, the rest is up to the individual. Look at Bill Gates, he's a Harvard dropout, but I'd say he's doing OK. As for all those you mentioned, I'm sure they had to blaze their own trail. They didn't just walk into an interview, knock a ring on the desk, and say "when do I start?"

xmid

pilot
Contributor
It sure would. Look, credentials can only get you so far, the rest is up to the individual. Look at Bill Gates, he's a Harvard dropout, but I'd say he's doing OK. As for all those you mentioned, I'm sure they had to blaze their own trail. They didn't just walk into an interview, knock a ring on the desk, and say "when do I start?"

So I guess the original guy was pissed because he couldn't walk in to a shareholders meeting drop his d!ck on the table and, in amazement, be made CEO?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I just can't take all the shoe jokes anymore. You guys have driven me out. Happy?
Yup, I'm happy. I'll put another mark in the "saved" column......:D

I know you're a civilian pilot. Any thought of going that route or are you smart enough to stay away?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup, I'm happy. I'll put another mark in the "saved" column......:D

I know you're a civilian pilot. Any thought of going that route or are you smart enough to stay away?
If I was about 10 years younger....yes. I have a family to support now. No friggin way would I make them suffer while I build hours.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Like thisguy said, yes it would. That, and its not always what you know, but who you know.

Good for those guys.

Maybe someone really should start the Maritimepatrol-pilot.com then sell the secrets to becomming the most financially sucessful group of aviators out there. I mean if some jet guy can sell secrets to living living in ****holes during training, life on a ship being surrounded by a lot of dudes and no boose and night traps for around $150, I can only imagine what Perdiem, 5 star hotels with internet access, bars, girls and room "servicing" that goes along with them could go for. $500 maybe? thats only like 5 days of a travel claim ..:icon_wink

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
So I guess the original guy was pissed because he couldn't walk in to a shareholders meeting drop his d!ck on the table and, in amazement, be made CEO?

Don't put words in his mouth, and don't exaggerate. I have no idea what "high end" meant in his post, but I doubt he meant CEO. CEO is obviously the top dog of a company. No one in their right mind can expect that after a stint in the military.

He seemed more to be dispeling the myth that companies will fall all over themselves to hire someone who was in the military.

As for your examples, that's what, five guys? Did your dad bother telling you about the guys who got out and just got "normal" jobs as opposed to conquering corporate America? Probably not.