• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

After the Navy?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Maybe someone really should start the Maritimepatrol-pilot.com then sell the secrets to becomming the most financially sucessful group of aviators out there. I mean if some jet guy can sell secrets to living living in ****holes during training, life on a ship being surrounded by a lot of dudes and no boose and night traps for around $150, I can only imagine what Perdiem, 5 star hotels with internet access, bars, girls and room "servicing" that goes along with them could go for. $300? $400? $500? thats like 5 days of a travel claim ..:icon_wink
Yeah know, I'm a die-hard P-3 guy but I think the COD pilots have the real deal.

- Hotels, beer and per diem every night.
- Get to move around to new places following the boat.
- Day light flying.
- Get to fly without having to learn all that tactical crap that takes way too long to study/qualify.
- Get to land on the boat.
- Deploy without the CO/XO.
- Get treated right by the airwing when the boat pulls into port - they bring the mail and geedunk so everyone appreciated them.

I could probably go on. CODs basically get all the things that make the of P-3 lifestyle great without the BS.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did your dad bother telling you about the guys who got out and just got "normal" jobs ...?
synergy-janitors.jpg

MasterBates

Yeah know, I'm a die-hard P-3 guy but I think the COD pilots have the real deal.

- Hotels, beer and per diem every night.
- Get to move around to new places following the boat.
- Day light flying.
- Get to fly without having to learn all that tactical crap that takes way too long to study/qualify.
- Get to land on the boat.
- Deploy without the CO/XO.
- Get treated right by the airwing when the boat pulls into port - they bring the mail and geedunk so everyone appreciated them.

I could probably go on. CODs basically get all the things that make the of P-3 lifestyle great without the BS.

And this is why I put VRC on my warfare transition package.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Don't put words in his mouth, and don't exaggerate. I have no idea what "high end" meant in his post, but I doubt he meant CEO. CEO is obviously the top dog of a company. No one in their right mind can expect that after a stint in the military.

He seemed more to be dispeling the myth that companies will fall all over themselves to hire someone who was in the military.

As for your examples, that's what, five guys? Did your dad bother telling you about the guys who got out and just got "normal" jobs as opposed to conquering corporate America? Probably not.

Well I have no intention to put down on officers with far more accomplishments and experience than I, and I already feel like I have towed that line. I meant no disrespect and if that was felt then I appologize. I am a firm believer that it is the person that makes themselves what they become, not their circumstances. My dad himself is now a high school teacher. Not because thats the only job he could find, but because he wanted to. He hated the travel with Delta Airlines, and he wanted a more laid back life than corporate America would provide. That and he actually enjoys it.

I believe the original poster was questioning as to whether experience as an officer in the Navy made you more equitable on the outside, and what kind of jobs people were getting upon getting out. Just as going to Harvard can be a boon to your future earning power, so can being a Naval Officer. Its all what you make of it. Very few former officers are bartenders at Applebee's. What other "company" can boast so many former "employees" that went on to be CEOs or Presidents of the United States? Then again, maybe I've just drank to much of the cool aid...;)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
So yeah...about that A4's...Do you mind expanding on the whole airline transition? I realize this may be old news for the non-nugget types on the board but hey...

School post navy? Right seat tours? etc...

Back to the FTI...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So yeah...about that A4's...Do you mind expanding on the whole airline transition? I realize this may be old news for the non-nugget types on the board but hey...

School post navy? Right seat tours? etc......
I'm not sure what you mean ... do you mean like doing your homework, getting ratings, hours, getting an advanced education (master's/PHD), massaging airline contacts, getting a new interview power suit and a great tie, collating and categorizing your never-ending file of airline applications/letters/follow-ups/etc., staying up on the industry news, STAYING CURRENT in something ....??? And all the while working another job to support yourself and/or a family ???

And timing?? And good looks?? And timing??? And timing ???

Are THOSE the kind of things you're asking about ???? :eek: Hmmmmm ??? HMMMMMM ????? :eek: HMMMM ???? :eek:

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure what you mean ... do you mean like doing your homework, getting ratings, hours, getting an advanced education (master's/PHD), massaging airline contacts, getting a new interview power suit and a great tie, collating and categorizing your never-ending file of airline applications/letters/follow-ups/etc., staying up on the industry news, STAYING CURRENT in something ....??? And all the while working another job to support yourself and/or a family ???

Are THOSE the kind of things you're asking about ???? :eek: Hmmmmm ??? HMMMMMM ????? :eek: HMMMM ????
Yes, yes. Tell us more.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Uhhhh...thanks....time for more FTI...I'll ask you again in 10 years.:icon_wink

<creeps quietly out of the forum...>:confused:

bkveen

No one seems to mention the numerous ex navy in the political scene. 6 of the last 9 presidents are ex-navy. Thats pretty impressive. Lots of astronauts and senaters too.

mserver

No one seems to mention the numerous ex navy in the political scene. 6 of the last 9 presidents are ex-navy. Thats pretty impressive. Lots of astronauts and senaters too.

Most of them just sit around on airwarriors.com all the time...:D

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!

Are THOSE the kind of things you're asking about ???? :eek: Hmmmmm ??? HMMMMMM ????? :eek: HMMMM ???? :eek:

Your not the fat guy in the uniform are you? Because that would just ruin it for me...:)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unfortunately, the idea that employers like to hire ex-military is bull****, at least at the high end.

This is a wild generalization, even with the caveat "at the high end." Simply consider your target employer. Some business sectors and companies just don't understand the military culture and how the experience translates to the civ sector. Others are simply hostile. Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream will not give you a break. In the vast majority of the cases, even at the high end, you are given more then equal credit for the time you spend in the military. There are lots of Fortune 500 companies that have specific programs that recruit and fast track former military officers. There are also hundreds of CEOs CFOs, COOs and presidents that are former military officers. I believe that scoutabouts experience is more isolate then not, and probably because of the nature of the business sector he tried to penetrate and the position he aspired to. I personally know guys that got on with Aurthur Anderson, KPMG, CitiGroup in Europe and IBM at very high levels. They all believe their military experience helped them and did not notice any anti military attitudes.