• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

After Retirement for Helos

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
thatgnarlyguy said:
What do most helo drivers find for work when they retire?

Keep flying - and fly cooler, more capable aircraft doing things you never would have dreamed of as a military aviator.

Serioulsy, the commercial helicopter industry is totally sucked for qualified, competent pilots - whether it be EMS or law enforcement operations here in the good old USA, or flying oilg and gass support in Nigeria, or firefighting in France, or VIP passenger operations in and out of the Green Zone in Iraq.

Get your ATP, stay healthy, and do what you love - flying of course.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
CORPSviation said:
high school teacher

Oh god you have to be kidding. Could you think of a more low paid alternative short of flippin' burgers.

Military Officers do not become HS teachers....

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
My old NROTC XO, a LtCol, became a HS teacher. A great calling, if you can put up with the little bastards.

I will say that I don't think any non-gov't entity has quite all the cool toys you'll see in the military. While some civilians may have some good gear, only a few even have FLIRs, much less machine guns, or my personal favorite, engines that tilt and let you fly like an airplane.

I will admit that my civilian helo knowledge is secondhand, derived from shooting the bull at FBOs and a dilligent job search when I was looking at getting out. However, civilian helo pay looks generally mediocre, by which I mean less than the military. It will be much easier to take that firefighting helo job if I'm already getting 50% of my base pay.

VAmookie

ChuckMK23 said:
Oh god you have to be kidding. Could you think of a more low paid alternative short of flippin' burgers.

Military Officers do not become HS teachers....

THEY MOST CERTAINLY DO!

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I'm looking at going Helos, I fig that I'll make a career out of the Navy, then figure out what I"m going to do in 20 years. I can't think that far ahead. I can barely think about what I"m doing for lunch, and just forget about dinner!

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I know a Vietnam era huey pilot who now owns most of Tampa. He owns several smaller pharmaceutical companies, White Rain shampoo, a bank or two, a cigar company, and a few other things. Not bad for a guy missing one eye from a huey crash, even if he was army.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Just shows you, no matter what you do, if you set your mind to it you, can be successful anywhere!

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
The best HS teacher I had was a retired AF officer. The pay may not be great, but there is something to be said for those that help shape tomorrow's future adults.