• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

After Retirement for Helos

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
adding up all my "work days" where i've actually gone to work these past couple years in flight school.. I think I actually work less than 9 months a year... factor in 30 days leave, federal holidays, unscheduled days, non-mandatory safety standdowns and Change of commands.... can someone calculate how much i'm earning an hour? i'm guessing like $40/hr....

Physicx

Banned
You could be a pilot for Eurocopter,Sirkowsky,or Bell There are also private companies but mostly in the NE. And there is goverment contractors like Lockheed that do test pilot or sim insturction. And Lockheed doesn't require you to be a graduate of TPS but it probably helps.

MartinBakerFan

When switching from military helo pilot to civillian pilot, does one branch usually win out the jobs over another? It seems like it would suck to put in 10 years with the marines, leaving as a captain, and getting beat out for a job by an army warrant officer, who only has a high school diploma to your college degree.
So to add to that question, does rank play a factor as well as branch of service? I think the best qualified pilot should get the job, just curious how companies rate different qualifications.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
MartinBakerFan said:
It seems like it would suck to put in 10 years with the marines, leaving as a captain, and getting beat out for a job by an army warrant officer, who only has a high school diploma to your college degree.

Guarantee you that the Warrant Officer has a buttload more flight time than you do.

You don't need a college degree to be able to fly. With that, don't think that just because he came in with a high school diploma that he isn't leaving with a Masters...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'll second Fly's comment. Granted, there are folks who stay in the military and never further their education beyond what they entered with, but by-and-large, most people I've served with understand that the military ride won't last forever. Hell, most of the SNCOs I worked with during my enlisted days held more advanced degrees than most of the junior Officers. If you never stop learning, then you'll always be competitive for that job you're looking for.

MartinBakerFan

Woah, wait a sec guys. I did not mean that as an attack on army guy's, far from it. I merely wanted to see if more is gained from one branch of service than another when one leaves and tries to get a civilian job. I have heard that warrant officer don't have to do as much paper work as officers who fly do, which is what allows them to acquire more flight hours, as Fly Navy was indicating. I fly with a former army cobra pilot who went on to fly helo's to oil rigs and then lear jets for the Chrysler corporation. The only thing I want to know is whether the army or marine's provide better, worse or about the same opportunities in civilian aviation when one leaves. Obviously members of either branch can continue their education independently of the military, but does one branch provide better opportunities then the other. Thank you.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
MartinBaker,

A civilian employer (EMS, off-shore, heli-tours, etc) drive their hiring minimums soley on what will allow them to insure their aircraft and organization most cheaply, which currently is about 3,000TT, 1500 PIC (very round figure). Day for day, an Army Warrant will have more flight time cumulatively at the end of a 20 year career than the average Marine or Navy helo guy. This is due soley to the fact that as Navy/USMC pilots mature professionally, they're forced to complete non-flying tours (ALO, FAC, or ship tours) to enhance their career progressions. Also, as a reward for getting promoted or screening for command, your (Navy/USMC) flight time is again reduced.

The difference being that a Warrant officer will stay in the cockpit every day for his/her 20 years, flying all the way to 30 years if they desire. At my unit, it's not uncommon to have CWO5s (equivelent to an 0-6) flying every day as a regular line/assault pilot passing on all the experience that comes with 20+ years at a set of controls.

Collateral duties as a Warrant are minimal (as your primary place of duty is the cockpit.) What extra issues you are saddled with diresctly relate to flying, (i.e IP, instrument examiner, tactics, safety officer, etc.) There's no flying warrants managing 1LT dept, Navy Relief, AWOL, bounced checks, spousal abuse, DUIs, etc.

My experiences have shown that if you take a Warrant out of flight school and say an Ensign/2LT, and join em' up down the road 5 years later, their comparative flight times will be pretty close. The Warrants pull ahead only during the long haul when upward mobility starts to keep the sister-service guys/gals out of the cockpit.

That said, regardless of service, I've never seen a hard-charging, solid aviator/officer that didn't as much flying as he wanted or could stand over a career (unforseen circumstances not withstanding).

As for how each service trains their aviators is a heated topic, but with some research, one you'll be able to answer yourself. It becomes largely a factor of your personal preferences and what type of environment you want to work in. I will state however, if you don't think having to brush dirt and sand out of your teeth every night before you head to your bunk, eagerly anticipating the warm MRE you'll pull out of your sleeping bag for breakfast before you head off for 5 more hours of mission planning, followed by another night of taking it down town to the "X", than Army/Marine helicopters may not be the route you're looking for. Navy rotary wing is making huge strides and risen to the task, but that bag of worms has been discussed in depth on several threads here.

Probably more than you ever wanted to hear from my perspective...

MartinBakerFan

Thank you for the reply Stearmann4, that was some very helpful information. It seems that if civilian aviation is your main priority, then Army Air is more advantageous as a Warrant Officer than Marine Air as a full officer. I guess it comes down to personal interest. I still like the idea of being a Marine Officer and flying helo's from amphibious carriers than being a civilian oil rig pilot, so I guess I will just have to make a career of it. Thanks for the information, it really cleared a few things up for me.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If things stay the way they are, you can do your first tour, probably get 1000 hours after several lovely stays in those sandy places, then come back through as a HT IP and make another 1000-1500+ hours, all helo time.

Good info Stearman, thanks.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
MartinBakerFan said:
When switching from military helo pilot to civillian pilot, does one branch usually win out the jobs over another? It seems like it would suck to put in 10 years with the marines, leaving as a captain, and getting beat out for a job by an army warrant officer, who only has a high school diploma to your college degree.
So to add to that question, does rank play a factor as well as branch of service? I think the best qualified pilot should get the job, just curious how companies rate different qualifications.

Believe me , as a military helicopter pilot you will be fine. Army pilots tend to be in the majority just by sheer numbers - but there is an honest to god shortage of commercial helicopter pilots right now.

The structured ops and single pilot flying will be new to you at first, but it's an easy transition. You will need at minimum a commercial and instrument rating to start as well as a second class medical. Most Part 135 operators almost always start you out on a light to medium twin or single engine aircraft, single pilot VFR day/night operations.

Your "qualifications" are more a question of do you have the ratings and hours. Boolean, yes/no. It may also look at experience in similar operations - offshore/ship, mountain, long-line.

Navy/Marine and USAF experienced helo folks are generally in demand especially for dual piloted heavy (> 12,500 lbs) ops. Think S-92, S-61, Super Puma, S-76, etc.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
here's another question; what kind of civilian jobs are available for Harrier pilots? I would assume that fixed wing aircraft would be an option, but do they also have any leg up towards picking up a rotary-wing job?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
MIDNJAC said:
here's another question; what kind of civilian jobs are available for Harrier pilots? I would assume that fixed wing aircraft would be an option, but do they also have any leg up towards picking up a rotary-wing job?

No different than any other single seat jet driver. Probably eventually transition to C-20 or something if you are getting out. No commercial harriers though, lol. Now AB-609 that could be a possibility....