• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF Officer to Marine? Interservice Transfer

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Re-up? I've never heard that term in regards to augmentation. If anything, for officers, I'd take it to mean staying in past one's initial obligation.

phrogpilot73

I don't mean to pull the Mustang card, but it is common to use "Re-up" in a conversation amongst myself and prior enlisted Officers. It could be a very personal usage, but I did have a few prior enlisted Captains use the terminology. Under the cloak of confusion, I will admit that what I stated may have been misused contextually.
Crowbar could pull the Mustang card long before you could. I'm also prior enlisted, and have never heard the term "Re-up" for anything other than re-enlisting.

Clux4

Banned
How about re-upping to go back to Afghanistan?!
I think Re-up is just plain Army lingo.
I think you already used the Mustang card. Put it away before you get to TBS. MECEP numbers are high these days, so there will be alot more priors at TBS.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
Before this gets any uglier and I sound more like an ass, (not likely at this point) I'm going to concede. But in closing I will say that I used the term in front of other Officers and they used it in turn. Probably as a tool to keep me from talking any more. I'm done with this thread. :confused:

bmather9

AF Pilot DQ!

So, about 3 years ago when I decided to go with the USAF it was solely based on the fact that the Navy/Marines wouldn't accept me for flight training based on my distant vision (20/200). So I went AFROTC and just entered active duty on 3-SEP-09 and moved to my pilot training base. They decided to send me to Brooks city base for a medical screening and come to find out I'm colorblind! Red-green (deuteranomaly) but I haven't know my entire life. I think I can pass the FALANT and maybe even get 12/14 on those circular plates, but the USAF has way more BS tests that DQ me. So my question is, what are my chances of an inter-service transfer to the Marines at this point and who do I contact?

Gasman

Had a guy in our squadron in El Toro (Marine A-4s) who by then had been in three services. Did a transfer to the Air Force and finished up flying the stealth fighters. If you want to transfer, do it now. Talk to an officer recruiter and see what he says. OCS is more of a mind over matter deal. I laughed my first day there and every morning after the Sgt Instructor, (SSgt Snyder) stood me at attention, eating oysters or anchovies telling me jokes until I laughed then dropped me for push-ups. If you want it, it can be done. Semper FI.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Before this gets any uglier and I sound more like an ass, (not likely at this point) I'm going to concede. But in closing I will say that I used the term in front of other Officers and they used it in turn. Probably as a tool to keep me from talking any more. I'm done with this thread. :confused:

I have heard (and used) the term "re-up" to mean sticking around past one's initial obligation (O and E side). So there.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
So, about 3 years ago when I decided to go with the USAF it was solely based on the fact that the Navy/Marines wouldn't accept me for flight training based on my distant vision (20/200). So I went AFROTC and just entered active duty on 3-SEP-09 and moved to my pilot training base. They decided to send me to Brooks city base for a medical screening and come to find out I'm colorblind! Red-green (deuteranomaly) but I haven't know my entire life. I think I can pass the FALANT and maybe even get 12/14 on those circular plates, but the USAF has way more BS tests that DQ me. So my question is, what are my chances of an inter-service transfer to the Marines at this point and who do I contact?

So, you want to xfer to the Marines in hopes that they'll let you fly?

Or, do you want to be a Marine since you are now headed for a military career as a non-flyer and you want to be one of the "oorah" crowd?

"The Brick"

The Brick
pilot
I am currently waiting to start advanced in helo's and I already know of two guys who were airforce officer transfers. One guy was at TBS and Primary with me and he is now in advanced at Meridian. The other was an AF/Navy transfer thats in advanced jets in Kingsville...so it is definitely possible. However, do yourself a favor and don't go in the AF if your not 100% about it....I've never met someone who was totally pumped about the AF...those guys obviously weren't....I DO know far more people who love the corps....

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I've never met someone who was totally pumped about the AF...those guys obviously weren't....I DO know far more people who love the corps....

A really bizarre statement to make, Brick.

As a counter, I know tons of people who are "totally pumped" about the AF, but I don't know any Marines who love the Corps, so that must say something about the USMC.

Or...it means that I just don't know that many Marines and can't make a valid hypothesis based on that really small sample size.

P.S. I've flown with three Marines-to-AF transfers in three separate squadrons I've been in; one in the T-38 IFF squadron, one in an F-15E squadron, and one in a T-38 SUPT squadron.

bmather9

So, you want to xfer to the Marines in hopes that they'll let you fly?

Or, do you want to be a Marine since you are now headed for a military career as a non-flyer and you want to be one of the "oorah" crowd?

Yea I want the transfer to fly, but I'd consider it even if the Marines would have another action packed job for me. If I stick with the Air Force at this point I'm DQed for just about every job I want due to my color vision diagnosis. I'll almost definitely end up as an engineer which at first I thought wouldn't be so bad because I heard you can go to test pilot school as an engineer. I recently found out that you need Flying Class III physical to go to test pilot school as an engineer and that requires PERFECT color vision. Total BS! "Oorah" sounds better and better!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Yea I want the transfer to fly, but I'd consider it even if the Marines would have another action packed job for me. If I stick with the Air Force at this point I'm DQed for just about every job I want due to my color vision diagnosis. I'll almost definitely end up as an engineer which at first I thought wouldn't be so bad because I heard you can go to test pilot school as an engineer. I recently found out that you need Flying Class III physical to go to test pilot school as an engineer and that requires PERFECT color vision. Total BS! "Oorah" sounds better and better!

We have medical guidelines for a reason. In aviation, those reasons usually involve something that will keep you from parking a plane into the side of a cumulus granite cloud. They aren't exactly BS.. You signed up for the AF for the wrong reasons (Imabeapilotitis), and I'm not sure Uncle Sam's Misguided Children look kindly on people who want to become O's just to have an "action packed job! Extreeeeme!" They're kinda big on the whole Leadership and Officership thing.

Rethink why you're doing what you are trying to do, and if it's because you want to be a Jarhead and lead other Yuts around, that's probably alright. If it's because you're just bored being the 79th Janitorial Squadrons Chief Logistics and Acquisitions Officer in Charge, it's probably not gonna work out well.