• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF Officer to Marine? Interservice Transfer

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Of course as an 0-3, you will not be eligible to be a Platoon Commander and inexperienced to be the Company Commander. But I am sure they might find something for you to do at the Battalion level. Who know?

/end rant

I think this is what he was driving at. A Battalion Commander is going to pick his Company Commanders from his Platoon Commanders (or some other Battalions). If you don't have experience as a Platoon Commander, it'll be hard to get a Company Command. If you don't have experience as a Company Commander, it'll be hard/impossible to make Major, let alone higher.

This, or course, applies only to ground MOS type folks. Nobody expects pilots to get to their fleet squadron with any appreciable experience except flight school.

A better way of looking it that problem is to think of it like fleet acessions. Guys who get to the fleet as a nugget, but as senior Captains or new Majors. They may find themselves having their first fleet job as the OpsO or MO. Then again, they may not get those jobs at all because their CO doesn't think that they're ready, which gets them passed for LtCol.

Same problems.

Clux4

Banned
I think this is what he was driving at. A Battalion Commander is going to pick his Company Commanders from his Platoon Commanders (or some other Battalions). If you don't have experience as a Platoon Commander, it'll be hard to get a Company Command. If you don't have experience as a Company Commander, it'll be hard/impossible to make Major, let alone higher.

This, or course, applies only to ground MOS type folks. Nobody expects pilots to get to their fleet squadron with any appreciable experience except flight school.

A better way of looking it that problem is to think of it like fleet acessions. Guys who get to the fleet as a nugget, but as senior Captains or new Majors. They may find themselves having their first fleet job as the OpsO or MO. Then again, they may not get those jobs at all because their CO doesn't think that they're ready, which gets them passed for LtCol.

Same problems.

I see what you are saying. Did they not use to tell us at TBS that no 2 career paths are the same. The Combat Service Support guys will probably be fine. I did not know you could have a nugget as a Major? What is going to happen to all those pilots that just left the RAG and aren now in iraq as part of a MiTT or PTT. They are not in the squadron getting their quals and things done. Are they pretty much fucked or do they have time to make up for it.
I would think HQMC would be interested in a positive professional development and not a stunted growth. Why did they not reduce in rank like the Coast Guard and have the individual check all the required boxes!!

I guess it all depends on the individual.

Crowbar

None
I would think HQMC would be interested in a positive professional development and not a stunted growth.

What a squadron considers a professionally developed officer is somebody with plenty of platform relevant quals.

What HQMC considers a professionally developed officer is somebody who's done the circus act-MOS credible, IA or B-billet, joint tour, resident PME...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
What a squadron considers a professionally developed officer is somebody with plenty of platform relevant quals.

What HQMC considers a professionally developed officer is somebody who's done the circus act-MOS credible, IA or B-billet, joint tour, resident PME...

And neither one of them give much of a shit about your career.

They're too busy getting their square peg in the square hole right in front of them at the moment.

The only person who really cares about your career is you.

BigRed389

None
I get the points about jumping in ahead of yourself if you come in as a O-2/3...but hypothetically, what if somebody were willing to bust down to O-1 and even do OCS to do it?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Out of a little more than idle curiosity, is that to mean going back to square one is not an option, or just not the norm?

Pretty much not an option. I would say "never", but I never say that.

I had a buddy who got out of the navy as a Lt(jg) and got accepted by the USCG. He had to go to OCS and start all over as an ensign. But they are in two different departments of the government.

It takes (I think literally) an act of Congress to demote an officer under most circumstances, even if you wanted to do it yourself.

Believe me, the thought has crossed my mind many times.

thehix

A little background to start. I did AFROTC and commissioned last Dec with a pilot slot. As cliche as it sounds I've always wanted to be "in the sh*t" and considered other AF jobs (CRO/STO) to do it. After a lot of research I decided if I was going to be in the AF and to do the AF mission pilot was the best choice and hope I can get a fighter or a gunship/spec ops platform.

Currently AF fighter/bomber "tracks" are about 2-3 per class of 20 and of those 2-3 the drop is ussually is an even mix of the following ... a fighter, a UAV (with follow on to a manned platform), First Assignment Instructor Pilot , or a U-28/Non standard aircraft (spec ops). Needless to say its going to be difficult, but I'm going to work my ass off to do it.

My class is just finishing up academics and I am about to hit the flightline next week. I understand every airframe plays a vital role in current operations, but if I don't do as well as I hope to do I have options now or later to do an interservice transfer (USMC/ARMY)?

I would definitely consider ground operations as well as flying.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
If you want to be "in the shit" why not just enlist? Even if you go gung-ho motto and wind up as an Infantry Officer, you are only going to be a Platoon Commander for a very short time, and after that you are mostly just going to be managing the guys who are "in the shit."

thehix

very true huey. maybe "be in" was poor terming, say involved... closer to the guys that win wars by taking land. Whether or not I'm one of them isn't the goal.

spectre56

So I'm an AF officer too and am looking into transferring (back) to the Marines to attempt pilot training. The OSO i'm talking to right now is saying I would have to basically resign my commission in the AF and go to OCS for the Marines starting out from square one. Is this true, or can anyone shed any more light on this situation? Thanks!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
So I'm an AF officer too and am looking into transferring (back) to the Marines to attempt pilot training. The OSO i'm talking to right now is saying I would have to basically resign my commission in the AF and go to OCS for the Marines starting out from square one. Is this true, or can anyone shed any more light on this situation? Thanks!

Don't eff with the OSOs. They're trainied to do their thing, and they're good at it, but you're not their thing. Don't waste their time.

Here is the link to the horses mouth. If the AF doesn't speak USMTF then consider this your first test in it. The good stuff starts in paragraph 3. Points of Contact are at the bottom. Those are the people you ask your questions to. Don't ask OSOs, don't ask AF guys at your command (because you're about to make some enemies no matter what), and don't ask strangers on the internet:D.

Dawgpoundfa just did a successful USA to USN IST. He also looked into the Marine Corps. He'll be able to tell to you the good, bad, and ugly if you PM him. Be careful though, he's an angry drunk.