• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF Officer to Marine? Interservice Transfer

E-Male

This is my first post and I want to start off by saying that this is a great resource! I've learned quite a lot by looking through these threads.

I was wanting information about an interservice transfer an Air Force officer to the the USMC. I am an AF OTS select who goes to OTS in about a month. This whole process has taken about a year and a half. Because of that fact (the waiting I've already done) and because of all the people that have become involved in this with me (family, friends, recruiter, etc.) I don't want to consider dropping my slot.

What I am interested in, however, is information regarding an interservice transfer to the Marines. I joined the AF for several reasons including family tradition, but lately I've truly began to wish I'd joined the USMC.

So... are interservice transfers between officer corps possible? Would I need to fulfill my initial AF ADSC? (which is longer as a flyer... Air Battle Manager on E-3 AWACS) If I did have to fill my ADSC, I'd be an O-3 by that time. Does the USMC accept transfers at this high of grade? What about TBS? Can O-3's go to TBS?

Sorry so many questions... just trying to get some knowledge. I'm not completely sure if I would do this, but I would like to get some info about it and see if it is even feasible. Thanks!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, you would have to fullfill the ADSC. If you transfered as an O-3, there is a possibility that you would have to accept a reduction in paygrade to O-2. You would have to go through TBS and whatever follow on training required.

My advice: cut the cord from the AF now if you want to be a Marine Officer. Of course, there is the chance you may not get selected. However, if you were competitive enough for OTS, you are likely a qualified candidate for the Marine Corps. Talk to a Marine Offier recruiter first before you pull the plug though. Give him your situation and see what he says.

Remember, no risk, no reward.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
O-3s can go to TBS but obviously there are significant downsides careerwise...advance will be MUCH harder...dropping down to an O-2 might be the best way if they let you...

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
These transfers are extremely rare and extremely difficult to do. Steve is right, go USMC sooner than later if that is what you want to do.

riley

If you aren't fat and you can do pullups and run at a decent pace, drop the Air Force now. Don't let them infect you anymore. The Air Force does all of their attrition in the application process, the Marine Corps just a bit - most of the Corps' attrition is at OCS. You most likely had to have high grades and all that fun stuff for the Air Force - you'll do just fine in the application process for Marine Corps. Worry more about OCS. If you can talk in complete sentences and you show a drive to be a Marine, they will most likely give you the opportunity to try to prove you have what it takes.

The only concern would be if you accepted the OTS position and they gave you a class date, and now you decline. Talk to an OSO before going any further, that would be the only snag. Go now though. You don't want to miss out on the OCS experience....

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
If you aren't fat and you can do pullups and run at a decent pace, drop the Air Force now. Don't let them infect you anymore. The Air Force does all of their attrition in the application process, the Marine Corps just a bit - most of the Corps' attrition is at OCS. You most likely had to have high grades and all that fun stuff for the Air Force - you'll do just fine in the application process for Marine Corps. Worry more about OCS. If you can talk in complete sentences and you show a drive to be a Marine, they will most likely give you the opportunity to try to prove you have what it takes.

The only concern would be if you accepted the OTS position and they gave you a class date, and now you decline. Talk to an OSO before going any further, that would be the only snag. Go now though. You don't want to miss out on the OCS experience....

Concur, sooner is much better than later...

Lesnike

already commissioned

can anyone pass along any knowledge regarding transfers to the USMC for commissioned officers? Im currently an AF 2d Lt.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

Amall

This whole process has taken about a year and a half.

WHAT! I got selected in April for OTS and am still waiting a class date...I knew it would take a while but a year and a half! That is insane. I wanted to go to OTS yesterday. (Okay actually I'd rather go in January) Maybe I'll join the marines. I can do the arm hang.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
WHAT! I got selected in April for OTS and am still waiting a class date...I knew it would take a while but a year and a half! That is insane. I wanted to go to OTS yesterday. (Okay actually I'd rather go in January) Maybe I'll join the marines. I can do the arm hang.

FYI ... that info is almost 3 years old

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle

To bring us back to the present... we had an Air Force 2nd Lt. try to do an interservice transfer through our OSO last year. The word from our secretary is that you have to do it directly through Headquarters Marine Corps. and not the OSO. I know I'm kind of stating the obvious, but consider that the Marine Corps. should never be a "fall back" career. If you don't want to be a Marine O first and foremost its probably best to consider another service/career path. If you want to be an Air Force Officer then stay blue, regardless of wait time (just my 2c).

Female attrition at Marine OCS is often near 40-50% (word from my OSA), i'm not saying you couldn't do it... just that its a challenge that deserves close consideration and prompt preparation.

AznDragonBoy

Also to bring us back to the present.....I managed to do an interservice transfer with an air contract. Its true the process mostly through HQMC. I spent a lot time calling back and forth with MMOA. Its a lengthy process.

But an OSO is needed (or is best suited) to adminster the PFT, air test (if you want to go air), and give you the interview. I suppose you could use any Marine officers. But OSOs are best trained to evalute. I would add most OSO don't have a clue what you are talking about. Most offices never called me back. I found one who helped me out after much explaining.

Lastly, would also agree that the Air Force made me soft and that I missed out on the whole OCS experience. TBS was though and no joke, but I actually learnt a lot from it.

Amall

By no means is Marine Corps a "fall-back" career. I understand and I'm excited about being an AF Officer. I suppose my navy and marine friends get to me saying the af is "easy", etc. I'm sure AF OTS will be challenging- mentally and physically as all officer programs are to some degree. Sometimes I would love to bust my ass with the USMC just to prove I could...I would have to add some serious upperbody weight training to my regime..

And TBS. From what I understand OCS is easy compared to TBS.

East090

I just graduated TBS in July and went through with a Marine Capt. that transfered from the AF as an 0-3. It can be done, obviously. I also went through with another Capt. that transfered over from the Navy. He tried desperately to get dropped to an O-2 so that he could get time as a platoon commander. As far as I know, he didn't get his drop and without that experience it will be much harder for him to pick up higher grade billets. As everyone else has said, drop the AF and go with the USMC. I'm an AF brat as well and decided to go with USMC. The difference between OTS and OCS is pretty extreme, but I'd much rather have completed OCS than OTS.

Clux4

Banned
What in your experience makes you believe the guy will not attain a higher grade billet? Whatever that means.
Your 0-2 and 0-3 ranks are almost automatic which leaves me to believe that it was not purely performace based. Besides, they guy was probably a great applicant and would probably be a great Marine Corps Officer. What do you say about the guys in flight school who have spent close to 2.5 years in the training pipeline without any major responsibilities other than to study and fly.
How many of your TBS class members do you think will stay in after 4 years? How many will stay past 10 year? Talk less 20 to earn a retirement. How many will make 0-6?
I think when I was at TBS, one of the Generals once said about an average of 1 in every TBS class gets to be a General Officer.
My point is, I do not think it has any bearing on your career except for those that wanted to go Infantry and some of the Combat related MOS's. Offcourse as an 0-3, you will not be eligible to be a Platoon Commander and inexperienced to be the Company Commander. But I am sure they might find something for you to do at the Battalion level. Who know?

/end rant