• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aerospace physiologist/AMSOs

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Explanation: Flash is responding to offer (via back channel comms) to facilitate an introduction

Really, no thanks.....I don't want to have the wife thinking I am batting for Barney Frank's team........;)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
First off, an Aeromedical Safety Officer (AMSO) is an Aerospace Physiologist who goes through additional training to qualify as an AMSO and then serves primarily at USMC Wing or Group level in addition to other select staff positions. The Navy also has parallel billets and the entire AMSO community stays very engaged on ALSS issues through the Fleet Air Indoctrination and Liaison of Survival Aircrew Flight Equipment (FAILSAFE) program. Check out some of the biographies on these leading Aerospace Physiologists and you can see where their careers have taken them. Note how many how qualified as AMSOs and where they served.

By personal experience, I never knew AMSOs existed until I served at Safety Center as editor of Approach and got immersed in ALSS issues. Every aviator gets to know the Aerospace Physiogists though because they run the Naval Aviation Survival Training Program (NASTP) that every aviator goes through initially and revisits for requalification. Now that I know the role of the AMSO, I have seen them engaged all over the map (in fact, I just met the CNAF/CNAL AMSO today while visiting Norfolk and compared perspectives). I've seen some AMSOs in Ready Rooms and flying regularly with the squadrons they support while others remain in staff spaces. It's really what the AMSO decides to make of the assignment. PM me if you want to get connected to any of the folks out there. Cheers and have fun, HJ

BTW - if you haven't seen the latest Aerospace Physiologist website, check it out. They're working on a forum there as well.

That extra training heyjoe speaks of is the Aviation Safety Officer course....used to be at the Naval Post Graduate School in Monterery. Now, sadly, it is held in Pensacola.

I would not expect to see that school until shortly before your second tour as a Phys.

WRT to what Brett said....sad indeed. You would make a much better name for yourself the more you interact with squadron personnel. It is the right thing to do. Also, they are the ones signing your FITREP, assuming you take the AMSO route.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That extra training heyjoe speaks of is the Aviation Safety Officer course....used to be at the Naval Post Graduate School in Monterery. Now, sadly, it is held in Pensacola.

I would not expect to see that school until shortly before your second tour as a Phys.

WRT to what Brett said....sad indeed. You would make a much better name for yourself the more you interact with squadron personnel. It is the right thing to do. Also, they are the ones signing your FITREP, assuming you take the AMSO route.

Frankly, I don't see what purpose they would serve by interfacing with squadron folks and I've never even heard of one flying - just my experience.

Brett

MasterBates

When I was in Mayport, we did not have one on base.. You had to schlepp over to JAX if you needed anything.

For someone whos flight gear is all custom except for Helmet and Flight Suits, that is a HUGE pain in the arse..

jman92612

Good responses, thanks all. I won't comment on certain issues, as I'll be working with personnel in both the Navy and the Air Force, but you guys are a riot.

That is to bad about the P-cola Safety course, I was looking forward to spending some time in Monterey.

Anwyay, I was interviewed by 8 physiologists and visited P-cola and Miramar in the process, so I got plenty of questions in, but not enough. From what I learned they are supposed to fly 4 hour per month to keep their wings, but I am not sure how much time they really do get. I think it is all up to how much they interact with people, their schedule and their attitudes. Some have tons of hours in the back seats of F-18s, some have carrier landings and others find it hard to squeeze in the flight time, but they are restricted to dual controlled aircraft regardless. I've got some buddies flying F-18's with dual trainers in their squadrons, so the minute I get winged, you know where I will be going. Anyway, the physios also go through API and then through the flight indoc class with the flight surgeons. Anyone know how many flight hours you actually get these days in that abbreviated flight indoc course? They told me its in both a T-34 and Bell helo?

Well I am looking forward to it...all I know is that I have to pick an OIS date by the end of this year, so it's not to far off.

I did hear that the Marines like having AMSO's in their squadrons, but the Navy has not really accepted them yet. Any Marine pilots vouch for that?

J

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pulling Gs, and other aeromedical stuff. Kinda tough to talk about it unless you have done it. They like to get inside your head.

Gotcha - I was looking at it the other way around (I.E. what magical knowledges do these wanna-be physicians have to impart to me :D)

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your friendly neighborhood AMSO

Frankly, I don't see what purpose they would serve by interfacing with squadron folks and I've never even heard of one flying - just my experience.

Brett

They can and do fly. Had a meeting today at AIRLANT that was attended by the Force AMSO and he was commenting that it was a little more difficult to fly in current position, but that he had flown routinely when stationed with Marines. Under the Aeromedical Officer Dual Designator (AMDD) program, they could even be flying as rated aircrew with you.

If you get new flight gear, you may see them in Ready Room briefing it. If you need a good AOM topic, then they are available to brief latest Flight Gear or Physiology trends and status. When there is a mishap, they are a real source of expertise to have on Mishap Board. If you have complaints about your flight gear, they are your best conduit to get the system to listen (through FAILSAFE program). Shame on your AMSO for not getting around or your Wing/squadron for not using him "as designed".

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
For someone whos flight gear is all custom except for Helmet and Flight Suits, that is a HUGE pain in the arse..

Just try having a custom helmet....now that is a pain in the arse, and I've only just finished primary...yaay!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can probably tell from the bios heyjoe provided, but aerospace physiologist do get in to some cool stuff as they get more senior. Most of the duties and interaction you have heard of here relates to junior guys. I know a Navy O-5 aerospace physiologist that spent his last four years doing high level human factors work on simulator technology with the Air Farce and flew in the F-16 weekly. You get into more research and technology as you get more senior. I think that is what most guys join for.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
A little off topic, but what kind of career opportunities do folks with this experience have once they get off active duty (and enter the civilian workforce)?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A little off topic, but what kind of career opportunities do folks with this experience have once they get off active duty (and enter the civilian workforce)?

I think it's pertinent question. I run into many "transitioned" APs all the time. Since Human Systems Integration (HSI) is an important component of aerospace industry and NASA, they usually have no problem staying engaged in all aspects of RDT&E and many stay on in support of NAVAIR in and around Pax River. Small, tight knit community with active get togethers within Navy and across services. I also would venture that Navy in general and aviation in particular is way ahead on HSI and physiology expertise.