• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aerial Vehicle Operator (AVO) a.k.a. Drone Operators Requirements

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Understood - it is a cultural shift.

It has to happen and It IS happening in DoD. Our adversaries are developing very capable enabling technologies for autonomous platforms.
I've said as much in other posts, but the people who wrote that article have zero idea what DoD and NAE have in the pipeline WRT unmanned capabilities. The entire article is premised upon a false assumption borne of ignorance.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've said as much in other posts, but the people who wrote that article have zero idea what DoD and NAE have in the pipeline WRT unmanned capabilities. The entire article is premised upon a false assumption borne of ignorance.
That set of authors has been casting a wide, not necessarily deep, net with the articles they've been churning out. I'm unclear on the goal end-state(s).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That set of authors has been casting a wide, not necessarily deep, net with the articles they've been churning out. I'm unclear on the goal end-state(s).
Clicks... mostly. Given how much in the acquisitions world happens behind the curtain of program-level security, having a meaningful conversation about US capabilities in an open source environment is impossible. These authors literally have no idea what they're talking about.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Clicks... mostly. Given how much in the acquisitions world happens behind the curtain of program-level security, having a meaningful conversation about US capabilities in an open source environment is impossible. These authors literally have no idea what they're talking about.
Agree on the middle sentence, for sure. Just don't understand what clicks on a USNI article that trends for a day do for them. Resume building?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Civilian here. I don't want to hijack this thread but I have been following this AVO position and MQ-25 development closely since December. Since the release of this program authorization I have already reached out to an officer recruiter to start the application process. I was wondering if there are any AVOs (or anyone who works closely with AVOs) out there that I can pm for insights/opinions on this position. I would like to get a better idea of what to expect.
Hi. I’m the only current and qualified MQ-25 AVO in the Navy.

The dragged me in kicking and screaming, bur that doesn’t mean I don’t think it could be a really good deal for the right person. Feel free to PM.

FloridaDad

Hi. I’m the only current and qualified MQ-25 AVO in the Navy.

The dragged me in kicking and screaming, bur that doesn’t mean I don’t think it could be a really good deal for the right person. Feel free to PM.
We’re you an (S)NA that was “forced” to transfer, was it a medical reason, or did you come from outside aviaton?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

I know Spool well enough- worked with him a fair amount in the VMUs. Personal opinions aside he's a really smart guy, did a stint at MAWTS as an Instuctor back when UAS was still part of C3 and not TACAIR. He was also the VMU-1 CO. He writes a lot, and has an opinion on just about everything. His callsign is Spool for a reason.

I'd say that his perspective has value if you know where he, and it, are from. He's always been an outsider looking in when it comes to the pilot community. He's had an entire career hearing, "you guys did great work, and were instrumental in the effort, but you're just a robot guy, so fuck you, you're not a real warfighter."

As far as whether they know what they're talking about or not, I suppose we should ask who their intended audience is. I surmise that it isn't the TACAIR community anymore than it's the RPA/UAS community. It's easy to dismiss someone this way, but it doesn't make them go away (in this guys case, it's going to make him louder), nor convince others that they're wrong. Interesting that he's got a couple of guys inside of the VFA community sharing his ideas publicly with him.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know Spool well enough- worked with him a fair amount in the VMUs. Personal opinions aside he's a really smart guy, did a stint at MAWTS as an Instuctor back when UAS was still part of C3 and not TACAIR. He was also the VMU-1 CO. He writes a lot, and has an opinion on just about everything. His callsign is Spool for a reason.

I'd say that his perspective has value if you know where he, and it, are from. He's always been an outsider looking in when it comes to the pilot community. He's had an entire career hearing, "you guys did great work, and were instrumental in the effort, but you're just a robot guy, so fuck you, you're not a real warfighter."

As far as whether they know what they're talking about or not, I suppose we should ask who their intended audience is. I surmise that it isn't the TACAIR community anymore than it's the RPA/UAS community. It's easy to dismiss someone this way, but it doesn't make them go away (in this guys case, it's going to make him louder), nor convince others that they're wrong. Interesting that he's got a couple of guys inside of the VFA community sharing his ideas publicly with him.
Great perspective. I think the article was a great chance to advocate for some specific things. Unfortunately, it came off (admittedly from my perspective) as emotional, defensive, and with incomplete information. Hard to imagine that there are any serious aviators out there thinking "I have to do everything I can to keep pilots in the cockpit, regardless of the impact on warfighting effectiveness." It's a pretty tired trope that gets trotted out regularly by folks like The Drive and several of the 'less well-rounded' of the social media wonkerati.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great perspective. I think the article was a great chance to advocate for some specific things. Unfortunately, it came off (admittedly from my perspective) as emotional, defensive, and with incomplete information. Hard to imagine that there are any serious aviators out there thinking "I have to do everything I can to keep pilots in the cockpit, regardless of the impact on warfighting effectiveness." It's a pretty tired trope that gets trotted out regularly by folks like The Drive and several of the 'less well-rounded' of the social media wonkerati.
Was it the Luddite thing in the headline? It was, wasn't it? :D

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
We’re you an (S)NA that was “forced” to transfer, was it a medical reason, or did you come from outside aviaton?
Two operational tours flying various flavors of P-3’s, then off to TPS, and got to VX-20 at the perfect time for them to be winding down P-8 projects and spooling up UAV projects. It wasn’t hard to become “The Navy’s UAV Guy” when there were only like 4 of us and two left to fly for SWA as soon as they could. Throw in an operational DH tour sundowning the P-3 and there weren’t many choices to keep flying. So, back to Pax River to wring out MQ-25 and try and keep the Navy from making the same mistakes they made with Triton all over again.

They still let me fly manned airplanes on occasion, but it usually means some kind of “good deal” that the JO’s didn’t want, like an overnight E-2 flight that requires a drysuit or a Saturday morning C-38 hop.