• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aerial Vehicle Operator (AVO) a.k.a. Drone Operators Requirements

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Pretty neat that you can get in with only an AA/AS and at age 19, but that you still go to OCS.

I think the OCS piece might do some goodness to quell the “How will they fit into the wardroom?” questions we heard in the other thread. When a LCDR NA/NFO DH and a WO3 AVO were in the same OCS class 13 years ago, and now they’re at the same decision table, that might make a few of the “whatabouts” fade away. Maybe.

(No I am not an aviator but I have a decade-ish of work experience on DoD org culture, re-orgs/change in military commands, military career field mgmt, etc and I’ve stayed at a holiday inn express since covid hit).

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Will the AVOs be restricted in type of vehicle size? Above a certain size you need a commission?
So far everything I’ve seen in writing points to the AVO Warrants being for the MQ-25. MQ-8, MQ-4, and sUAS still flown by their current operators. If there is new documentation to the contrary, it’ll be first heard for me.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When a LCDR NA/NFO DH and a WO3 AVO were in the same OCS class 13 years ago, and now they’re at the same decision table, that might make a few of the “whatabouts” fade away.
Absolutely false. This statement highlights the fact that you have zero experience in the aviation community, or have the first inkling about our culture or our professional norms. Why are you even posting about this?

kotn

Civilian here. I don't want to hijack this thread but I have been following this AVO position and MQ-25 development closely since December. Since the release of this program authorization I have already reached out to an officer recruiter to start the application process. I was wondering if there are any AVOs (or anyone who works closely with AVOs) out there that I can pm for insights/opinions on this position. I would like to get a better idea of what to expect.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Civilian here. I don't want to hijack this thread but I have been following this AVO position and MQ-25 development closely since December. Since the release of this program authorization I have already reached out to an officer recruiter to start the application process. I was wondering if there are any AVOs (or anyone who works closely with AVOs) out there that I can pm for insights/opinions on this position. I would like to get a better idea of what to expect.
I think it's a pretty new thing, at least on the Navy side. For the group, does Triton or Fire Scout have dedicated non-URL operators, or rely on the supporting squadron Aircrew? Some of the USMC or USAF folks may have some sense of what the gig is like.

I found a couple in LinkedIn and introduce yourself to AVOs.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

I think it's a crap shoot joining a newly forming community. You might ride a promotion and billet wave through your career and retire, or you might be stuck in a spot where the powers that be really don't know what to do with you, so you either find a new job or simply go away.

From some of the briefings that I have gotten, the MQ-25 is a cool airplane with some capabilities that, assuming the Navy will use them, can make it a viable weapons system and value added (beyond a recovery tanker) for the CSG.

If the RPA/UAS community is what you want to do career-wise, I'd recommend to go either to the USAF or the ANG. It's a well established community with multiple TMS that supports a lot of different types of units- to include the CSG.

taxi1

pilot
From some of the briefings that I have gotten, the MQ-25 is a cool airplane with some capabilities that, assuming the Navy will use them, can make it a viable weapons system and value added (beyond a recovery tanker) for the CSG.
For many, many years, every single MQ-1 and MQ-9 that went downrange stayed downrange. They just kept getting more useful (and they didn't all crash). Smart guys exploited all kinds of latent capabilities.

I expect the same from the MQ-25. When the Navy can safely operate these things off of the big decks, use is going to explode. JMO, YMMV, etc.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
use is going to explode

I agree completely. I also know that taking care of the people doing the job and carving out a legitimate naval career path (whether that is RL or URL) is going to lag well behind the equipment. The Navy is going to have a lot of well trained, very skilled folks that the Navy hasn't thought about where those folks fit in outside of the GCS (or whatever they're going to call the ship-based control station).

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I agree completely. I also know that taking care of the people doing the job and carving out a legitimate naval career path (whether that is RL or URL) is going to lag well behind the equipment. The Navy is going to have a lot of well trained, very skilled folks that the Navy hasn't thought about where those folks fit in outside of the GCS (or whatever they're going to call the ship-based control station).
The smart ones will leave and go to work for a contractor making $$$ or so I've heard.