• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advantages and Disadvantages of Different Aircraft

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Honest Question...I was under the impression that the Academy let mids who service selected aviation wear flight suits during practicum or whatever it's called, am I wrong ?
USNA kids who select Pilot/NFO are issued flight suits around class selection and wear them every Friday. At least thats how it was in 2009...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
USNA kids who select Pilot/NFO are issued flight suits around class selection and wear them every Friday. At least thats how it was in 2009...

When I'm on the way out the door of the Big Green Gun Club, can I start wearing my McDonald's uniform every Friday on base?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

And that is also retarded. Did SWOs wear coveralls and BUDs guys wear booty shorts and oakleys, too?

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
And that is also retarded. Did SWOs wear coveralls and BUDs guys wear booty shorts and oakleys, too?
Yeah, actually. BUD/S and EOD guys wore woodland camo, SWOs coveralls, Sub guys coveralls, Marines wore MARPAT as well. I'm not even joking. they called it warrior day.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I didn't go to the Academy, but for putting up with their bullshit for four years, the so called "warrior day" sounds like a little bit of relief for them where they get to wear something more enjoyable than what they're used to.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I didn't go to the Academy, but for putting up with their bullshit for four years, the so called "warrior day" sounds like a little bit of relief for them where they get to wear something more enjoyable than what they're used to.

It just sounds like kids playing dress-up.

"Look, Mom! I'm wearing cammies! Just like a real Marine!"

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
And is graduating API really an accomplishment?

Depends on when you are there. Have to score a 98 on every exam because they raised the NSS? Sure, that's pretty tough. Or were you part of the 35 and still alive crowd? Then as long as you didn't fail an exam you were sailing smooth.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
KCott and I are proud members of the 35 and alive crowd. Shortly after we left... well thats when shit got real.

As for the homos wearing flight suits to class, its turbo gay, but so is talking about a flight suit like its a fucking pair of wings. Give me a break. All sorts of people wear flight suits that dont fly, and haven't 'earned' them. When I was at HS-6 as a mid the intel officer wore a flight suit most days, at 30 our Suppo (a warrant) wears a flight suit from time to time. Its telling that most of the people who are worried about 'earning' a flight suit are also folks who haven't earned wings yet. Don't get all wrapped up about it, soon enough you'll have the goods and you'll realize the only things that are worth getting spun up about that you earned that others didn't are your wings and your commission. The flight suit is simply an awesome perk of the job.

As for Warrior day, the constant fellating of egos that goes on at commissioning sources is not limited to just the Academy. They just do it like they do everything else... With a lot more organization and a hell of a lot more money.

phrogpilot73

It just sounds like kids playing dress-up.

"Look, Mom! I'm wearing cammies! Just like a real Marine!"
When I was at the Naval Academy, every Friday post service assignment was warrior day. Pilots/NFOs wore flight suits, Marines wore sharply pressed woodland cammies, SWOs wore coveralls, and I'm pretty sure that SEALs wore whatever the fuck they wanted to.

I looked forward to them. As a prior enlisted Marine who attended that fine institution, once a week for a little more than half a semester, I could feel like a Marine again. Sorry if it bothers you.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Bother me? Not really. I don't get upset at people pretending to be slutty firemen, slutty cops, or slutty Eleanor Roosevelt at Halloween, either.

Then again, you were already a Marine at the time, weren't you?

phrogpilot73

Then again, you were already a Marine at the time, weren't you?
That I was. But I never begrudged my classmates who wore the uniform common to their future service on Fridays. Why? At that point we were all in it together, and it was our expression of "Finally! There IS a light at the end of this god-forsaken tunnel."

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
As long as the sleeves are rolled down.

Yeah, what's up with that? Are flight suits going to be rolled down, now, too?

The green/winter, desert/summer thing was silly to start with. Rolled sleeves have always been distinctively Marine. I suppose this is some kind of "all combat, all the time" gig.