• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advantages and Disadvantages of Different Aircraft

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Mhmm. I know I am. It's a challenge. Even about something as unimportant as when one is issued a flight suit.

This is the point you are not getting... when you get a flight suit IS important to us.
We take great pride in our traditions and the culture of naval aviation. One of our traditions is you have to earn the right to wear wings, brown shoes and yes, even a flight suit. When it is issued is important yet you do not grasp that fact despite folks on this site telling you so.

I keep reading your posts from this and the thread on flight hours and I keep getting annoyed. You are asking questions about naval aviation but with the intent of going Air Force.
What is your objective here? Are you interested in trying to become a naval aviator or naval flight officer? If you want to be an Air Force Officer, then please go ask questions and provide your commentary on some of the sites you've been provided links to.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I admit I haven't hung around the Fleet a lot in the last 8 years, but I've never heard of this "earn the right to wear a flight suit" thing.

That's what the AF wears - why would you care? If ROTC/OCS/boat school let Mids wear that I guarantee they would and they wouldn't be asking if they had really "earned" it yet. This is no different than the brown shoe discussion that comes up here every now and then. If its authorized, you can wear it.

gotta_fly

pilot
I agree with Bert. Sure, I made fun of the AFROTC guys wearing flight suits when I was in NROTC, and I'd probably do it tomorrow if I saw one of them, but I don't buy this whole concept of "earning" everything. I earned my commission, then later I earned my wings. I bought brown shoes and wore those. I was issued flight gear, which I wear daily to protect me while I do my job (and because it looks cooler than NWUs). Yes it was exciting to get issued the stuff for the first time (I don't mean to take away from that because it's definitely a special experience), but I don't know that I "earned" the right to wear my flight gear any more than I earned my books that were issued to me. If those nerds want to wear ascots and flight suits then who cares? It doesn't take anything away from what I or anyone else has accomplished.

Does a SWO earn his SWOter? Does a sub guy earn his dosimeter thingy?

Oh and for the record, when I was a mid I wore a flightsuit during the entire aviation week of CORTRAMID even though I only flew about 15-20 minutes. I don't recall any of the other 500ish guys feeling like they needed to wear coveralls because they hadn't earned the right yet. :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
But, by getting selected to go to UPT, they earn the flight suit.
If you've had any thought of switching to the Navy or Marines, don't. This one sentence shows why you should just stick with the Air Force.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
I admit I haven't hung around the Fleet a lot in the last 8 years, but I've never heard of this "earn the right to wear a flight suit" thing.

That's what the AF wears - why would you care? If ROTC/OCS/boat school let Mids wear that I guarantee they would and they wouldn't be asking if they had really "earned" it yet. This is no different than the brown shoe discussion that comes up here every now and then. If its authorized, you can wear it.

Honest Question...I was under the impression that the Academy let mids who service selected aviation wear flight suits during practicum or whatever it's called, am I wrong ?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BusyBee-1.jpg
I don't understand why you are under the impression that cadets given pilot slots have no idea that "it definitely takes a shitload more than just wearing the bag." I haven't even been selected to join the Air Force yet, but I sure as hell know that flight school is a lot of studying, reading, and flying. I'm not ignorant and I understand that it takes an extreme amount of dedication to push through it. Of course I haven't experienced it yet, but that doesn't mean I don't know what it involves. And that definitely goes for the cadets who've been given a slot. Also, I never once argued that a flight suit makes you a good aviator or officer. Where did you even get that from? It's a flight suit. Simple as that. It's not like cadets are being given permission to take some F-16 out for a spin every now and then. It really is not that big of a deal, as you make it seem.

What, specifically, do you mean? I haven't been able to experience the AF one very much yet. I'm sure getting my experience in, here, though. I accidentally started an argument on flight suits, for crying out loud. ;)

Thanks, though. You had a lot of good things to say. I appreciate it.

This is a classic sample of a combative & argumentive/sarcastic posting, by a basically "not a clue" wannabee. You're asking for help/advice from knowledgable members, who HAVE FLOWN, some who are WINGED PILOTS, & several who have decades of military flight experience/combat time (The Real 'SHOW') like Ol' "Busy Bee". Then, when they take the time to try to give you a clue or answers, you want to argue & whine when your hazy notion of what this game is all about...doesn't agree with the feedback you're getting.

In the Navy, only those in DIFOT status (Duty Involving Flight OperationalTraining), wear "bags". Yes, being selected for a flight slot is nice, but doesn't near rate wearing a bag. A fairly high % of flight slot selectees never make it to DIFOT due to medical, physical, academic, moral turpitude. attitude, and some plain DOR (Drop On Request) problems. If you still wanna argue that point go USAF & do it on their website. If you want our help/advice here, fine, if you don't agree with it...fine, just keep it under your hat. If you do get into flight training, you'll be expected to absorb a lot of things you may not like or agree with. If you are disagreeable/argumentive there, you'll soon be on the fast express out of Pilotsville.

Better to keep your piehole closed & let them suspect your clueless, than run it & prove it!:rolleyes:
BzB

Davis

Air Force Kid in a Navy Forum... Death Wish?
View attachment 10227

This is a classic sample of a combative & argumentive/sarcastic posting, by a basically "not a clue" wannabee. You're asking for help/advice from knowledgable members, who HAVE FLOWN, some who are WINGED PILOTS, & several who have decades of military flight experience/combat time (The Real 'SHOW') like Ol' "Busy Bee". Then, when they take the time to try to give you a clue or answers, you want to argue & whine when your hazy notion of what this game is all about...doesn't agree with the feedback you're getting.

In the Navy, only those in DIFOT status (Duty Involving Flight OperationalTraining), wear "bags". Yes, being selected for a flight slot is nice, but doesn't near rate wearing a bag. A fairly high % of flight slot selectees never make it to DIFOT due to medical, physical, academic, moral turpitude. attitude, and some plain DOR (Drop On Request) problems. If you still wanna argue that point go USAF & do it on their website. If you want our help/advice here, fine, if you don't agree with it...fine, just keep it under your hat. If you do get into flight training, you'll be expected to absorb a lot of things you may not like or agree with. If you are disagreeable/argumentive there, you'll soon be on the fast express out of Pilotsville.

Better to keep your piehole closed & let them suspect your clueless, than run it & prove it!:rolleyes:
BzB
Yes, sir.

Flying Toaster

None
With this level of reading comprehension I'd be less concerned about "which aircraft I wanted to fly" and more worried about making sure I didn't miss the short bus tomorrow morning...

Harrier Dude, Sunday at 4:54 PM-
You'd get better gouge by asking this of our brothers in blue.

http://www.baseops.net

Davis, Sunday at 5:35 PM-
Thanks for the link.
-------------------------

Davis, Yesterday at 4:57 PM-
Honestly, I have not found an Air Force forum equivalent to this, yet.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I have nothing left to say, sir. I'm done.

Learning has occured I see.......you'll do fine here, and don't take what is said in this forum personally......just like in a real ready room, it is easy to get shit thrown as you as a new guy, but it tends to blow over if you just smile and plead ignorance :)

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
holy shit, what happened to this thread

I think the fact that AF cadets get to wear flight suits on campus is gay as hell (can I say that nowadays?), but honestly, if I was a middie given a chance over those goddamn khakis our unit issued us I think I would take the ultra comfortable flight suit. As far as "earning" the right to wear the flight suit, whatever. The icon of a flight suit doesn't mean much to me as plenty of people have and wear them, even people who aren't in the military. Now wings of gold are something else, not everybody has that. And is graduating API really an accomplishment?

Davis

Air Force Kid in a Navy Forum... Death Wish?
Learning has occured I see.......you'll do fine here, and don't take what is said in this forum personally......just like in a real ready room, it is easy to get shit thrown as you as a new guy, but it tends to blow over if you just smile and plead ignorance :)
I'm smiling immensely. :D