• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active duty OCS slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedjp

Rianne: I don't know about girls getting their designators and how it works. My understanding is that they are in need of qualified cti's pretty bad. I think getting the language you want might be more difficult.

Spin: CTI is Cryptologic Interpretor, which is basically a linguist. There is a special test for it and it requires a top secret security clearance. If you want to really really learn how to speak a foreign language, it is the best training in the world at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey.

digger

There is a speed limit when taxing officer?
I would not say that the Navy needs CTI's pretty bad, they are a CREO group 2, which means that they are at the proper level for manning. Thats accroding to this NAVADMIN http://www.bupers.navy.mil/navadmin/nav03/nav03093.txt

Just tell your recruiter that you want CTI A School. They can guarantee you that (in writing). If he does not want to do it just walk out, if he doesn’t stop you he will call you later
bouncy_125.gif
. And if not then they really don’t need CTI’s. It then comes down to how bad do you really want to enlist?

"Those people who tell you not to take chances
They are all missing on what life is about" -James Hetfield

Rianne

Digger-I didn't know you could actually get a guaranteed A school. Good to know. Know of any other A schools that sound like fun?

Mike-I don't really care about what language I get, I just think it would be a great opportunity. What would you be doing as aircrew? Do you want to be a pilot eventually?

digger

Rianne- A recruiter can guarantee a few other things like enlistment bonus and/or college fund. It is a just a matter of how bad do they need the people to fill that rate.

ET (Electronics Technician) A school is a very good rate, the problem is that we have the 3rd highest manning of the fleet. Then there is AT (Aviation Technician) A school, the recruiter will only offer rates that you qualify for according to your ASVAB scores and then the needs of the Navy. Here is a link that I think has all of the ratings.
http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/navyratings/blratings.htm

digger

banghead_125.gif

Why not? What was your rate before?

dskeeters30

Mike,
I also was a non-select for OCS because of some trouble I got into when I graduated college about a year ago and so I've decided to enlist aircrew and try for either SNA or SNFO once I finish "A" school. What rating did you get for aircrew? Did you also agree to try SAR school as well? My recruiter hasn't been able to give me a very definitive answer on how long I'll have to wait before reporting to Basic though. Do you have any idea what the wait is right now?

Rianne

dskeeters and Mike- I looked into aircrew and I'm interested in SAR. I'm a certified lifeguard and swim instructor and I think SAR would be fun. Is this an overmanned position? Do you think I can ask specifically to be an SAR aircrew member? Just researching all my options here. Plus-I'm a woman, will they let me do SAR? Even though I'm petite, I swear I'm pretty tough
icon_smile_wink.gif

mikedjp

Rianne, I don't think the SAR is overmanned, I read somewhere that it was a critical rating, but I'm not in the Navy yet and I don't know how accurate that source was. One good place to research Navy ratings is on the us military section of about.com. They have good description of all of the Navy ratings as well as the other branches of service.

I think you can enlist on the aircrew program and then select which rating you want. I'm not sure about women being rescue swimmers. I don't want to give out bad info, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've put my enlistment on pause right now. Don't hate me, but I'm researching the Air Force of all things, just because they have a lot of aircrew jobs, and I'm interested in aviation more than going to sea. You have to figure that going to sea is a major part of enlisted life in the Navy.

Rianne

Well I just found out I was a non-select for sure and so I guess I'll start talking with an enlisted recruiter. Thanks for all your help everyone!

IFT2O

Drinkin' Beer w/ your mom
I'm Aircrew and yes you can ( there is an Aircrew enlistment program)! Sorry, I just read this thread and you all have probably found that out by now. They might let you choose what you want, (I'm an In-flight Tech (AT) on P-3s )or they might give you an A school. If you decide to go SAR, you will probably be an AW. You can also (this is the route I chose) get a guaranteed A-school and volunteer while you are a student. This does however, limit your choice of orders.

AT1 (soon to be) Indoc Candidate Harrison

Status
Not open for further replies.