• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active duty OCS slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayman

Dave,
I thought that this thread has stalled already. Well, the reason behind is that I'm one of those 'oldies' who are still looking for a commission in the Navy or the Marines. Apply as an enlisted, wait for my citizenship and go for a commission (hoping for a SNA slot).

Rianne

I am waiting to hear if I got into OCS and if not am planning on enlisting as well. I am a little nervous about this because obviously I already have a college degree and am 22 years old. I took the DLAB and did exceptionally well so I am hoping to go in as a CTI if they have any spots. I realize there is a big difference between enlisted and officer, can anyone tell me what it's like to have a degree and be a little bit older as an enlisted person? Do you feel out of place? I will of course keep applying for a commission after "A" school but I am planning on having to wait at least a year before that can happen.

Keith Nielsen

While it is true that a lot of enlisted men and women join at 18-19 years old, you are still considered on the young side at 22. You should have no problem adjusting at that age. There will probably be people with you in boot camp and "A" school who are older than you.

Rianne

Okay so I should know by the end of this week if I made it into OCS, although I have heard back from my frist choice Intel and I was not professionally reccommended. So if I don't make it into OCS at all (which is likely) I have decided to enlist and then apply for a commission later. I have so many questions for you enlisted people! What should I do to maximize my chances of getting selected for commission as an enlistee? Any tips for boot camp? I am most interested in CTI and IS although I realize it is up to the needs of the Navy. I am terrified of the enlisted recruiter because I've heard most of them are sleazy and will say anything (I realize this isn't true of them all) Can the Navy guarantee you a a specific job? Does anyone know if CTI and IS billets are prevalent? I've heard that if you enlist right now you are placed in the delayed entry program-how long is the average wait for this? Are my chances better for getting a job over someone else because I have a degree? I am enlisting because I want to get into the Navy community now instead of working a boring civilian job while I'm waiting around for OCS to not be so competitive. I see that a couple posters on this board did the same thing and I was wondering how you like it? I am actually kind of excited about it. I'm just afraid that I'm somehow going to get scammed by a recruiter and wind up painting ships instead of getting to do something a little more interesting. What is the living situation like? Is it dorm-style? I will be entering as an E-3, how long before I can apply to live in my own place? I am sure the answer to this question is probably not what I want to hear, but I have two cats and I will leave them with my parents until I'm living somewhere that allows them-how long is this going to be? Okay I'll stop for now. Thanks, Rianne

Goliath112

Damn Rianne.. you should try asking your questions in bullet format. not in just one big paragraph....

Yes you can get a guaranteed field or Rate like CTI and IS before you sign. Demand it. Don't let the recruiter "trick" you into another field without careful consideration. Just post questions on this board and I'm sure someone can give you the skinny on it.

As far as maximizing chances for OCS while enlisted.. you should just excel at your job, how intiative, basically just get good evals and the CO's recommendation.

tips for bootcamp? don't worry about it. its not easy mentally, but physically its on the easy side. just do what your told.

the DEP program or delayed entry is usually uitlized by people who want to delay their boot camp date. normally you can get in and enlisted real quick like. Now, the CTI and IS rates are cool jobs and you might have to wait a little while to get in those fields. But it shouldn't be too long, i'd say less than 6 months.

better chances for getting CTI and IS cause of a degree? I'd say yes. because it shows that you are mentally capable of sustaining long term academic goals. as far as CTI and IS rates being prevalent, I think that they're harder to get compared to say... BM or ABH, but they should be obtainable.

scammed by a recruiter? no no no. they don't scam people.. but they tend be pushy. If you want CTI or CTO or CTR OR IS then by all means only accept that. you have a degree you are not at their mercy.

living situations vary widely depending on your first duty station, which if you go CTI or IS you might by in school for a long time and will definetly be a Petty Officer 3rd Class before you go into the fleet. (as long as you get promoted that is, which is favorable for those rates) Dorm like... is a fairly accurate description of Navy Training School life.

when you make E-4 or Petty Officer 3rd class you should be able to move off base. Now some commands make that till E-5, but I did it when I was E-4. cats?

Now hear is just my spin on things without knowing your particular situation. How are your grades? did you do well in college? are you stuck on being an Intel officer? why do you think you won't get in to OCS this time, you're not willing to wait to apply again? ever thought about the Navy reserves? you can go Advanced Pay Grade and get up to E-5, (these ranks won't transfer into the regular active fleet). are you in need of a job? (ever thought of Amway? j/k) the reason I ask is because going enlisted first with a degree is a little different, and you should not expect to be enlisted for 2 years then wham get picked up to go OCS (although this can happen). When you enlist you are telling the Navy that you are willing to be enlisted for at least your first tour, that being said I think it can help you as an officer, but if you want to be an officer bad then keep applying to OCS, stay at your civilan job, and possibly go Navy Reserve.

c'mon guys any other advice for this cat?

AZSkegee

I enlisted almost a year ago on 19JUN02. I like being in the Navy and you get to do some cool things, I stand a M60 machine gun watch on the flight deck on duty days. Pick a good rate that you might like, being an AZ is cool, but Im more of an adventure kind of person I like to see new things everyday like Pilots or Seals( One Day ; ) ), not doing paper work. When you get to boot camp go in good shape, its not like the marines, but I went in not having a good run endurance, I mostly lift weights so I can knock out 100 push ups easy, but some runs with my division Me and some other shipmates were falling behind the division and they dont stop running untill you catch up with them lol. The cool thing at A school in Mississippi, is AZ's got to PT with the Marines Hoorahh. Get a leadership position at Boot Camp and A school because it will help you we you sit in front of your Officer Board, go to your command and work hard, so inititive, but be careful you can break yourself down. Also the main thing to remember, you are going to be in situations you wonder Why am I doing this, and I am better performer than that person, but humble yourself and so pride, and it shouldnt be that bad, My package was sent in two weeks ago and havent heard anything yet, good luck

mikedjp

Rianne,

I'm also predicting to hear back this week or next if I'm prof. rec. or not for OCS.

Check out the thread titled Naval Reserves on this board in the OCS section.

If I'm not picked up this time I'm going to join the Reserves because I think that it will give me good experience with the Navy and show my dedication. If I never get picked up for OCS it won't be the end of the world cause I can still follow my civilian career and serve part time as well as be available for active duty when the Navy needs me. There is no risk of "getting stuck painting ships" on a full time basis if you are not picked up for OCS. If you are cool with an enlisted career, then by all means go for it. If you think you can make more of yourself with your degree on the outside then think about the Reserves. If you're board as hell with your 9-5 civilian options (I know I am) maybe enlisting active duty is the best way to go. It's all up to you.

Rianne

Thanks guys. Your info is extremely helpful. I actually work for my dad right now (he's an economist) and over the last year I have come to realize I am not made for the civilian 9-5 job life. I'm totally bored and want something more so I don't think the reserves is for me.
And I would apply to OCS again but I think it's going to be pretty stiff competition for awhile. I went to University of San Diego and I only have 3.0 gpa but I was class president, college athlete, sorority officer and a bunch of other stuff and I got a 50 on my OAR. So my package isn't bad, but I don't think it's good enough to get me into OCS within the next couple years probably. As for Intel, I was a foreign affairs major in college and I LOVED it! I don't think the Navy really has anything else up that alley, so Intel here I come!

mikedjp

I've decided to enlist (active duty, not Reserves) as my package was recently non-select. I'm looking for others in the same situation. Let me know if you don't get picked up this time!

Rianne

Mike,
Let us know how it goes. I'm still waiting to hear back from supply and crypto, but more than likely I will be enlisting active duty, too. Have you taken the ASVAB yet? I took it two days ago and all I know is that I got a 78 AFQT. I have no idea if this is a good score.
Rianne

mikedjp

I'm not sure what AFQT means, but I think that a 78 is competitive and you should be able to qualify for about whatever rating you are interested in. I took it on Tuesday night, and I hung out until they had our preliminary scores. I got a 99, but I know it went down hill on the electronics and mechanical sections, which weren't graded yet. What ratings are you interested in? I'm going for the Aircrew Program. I was interested in CTI but I don't think I qualify for a couple of reasons.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Air Force Qual Test I do believe

- Quote on being selected for an OCS spot -
"If you are chosen, you will have been chosen by Men 'who have been there and done that' and have decided that they wished to have you in Their company, there is no such medal worth as much."

uncledave

It stands for Armed Forces Qualification Test.

"beware of what you wish for" -what the Chinese say....

Rianne

Mike,
I'm interested in CTI the most, I took the DLAB and got a 116 so I qualify for it but I know it really depends on the needs of the Navy and if they have any spots open. I thought about IS, too. Any suggestions for some other ones? I'm not really mechanically coordinated so that sort of limits me. I've heard that girls can only show up on certain days of the month to get a designator-do you think that's true?
Rianne

Status
Not open for further replies.