• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active duty OCS slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
hi all,

is it true OCS reserves slots for active duty sailors that civies can't touch? if so, is getting a slot right now just as tough as getting one on the civilian side is?

also, can a sailor apply while in "A" school, or must one wait till he reaches his permanent duty station?

Thanx... I.C.

AG7412

I don't think that is true. There is a limited selection of communities right now. I know because I was not select on my packet.
INTEL, CRYPTO, SNA, SNFO, Spply are, apparently the only choices right now, and filling quick. SWO has been close for two years.
I need to tale the ASTB and request reconsideration within the next six months.

IFT2O

Drinkin' Beer w/ your mom
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just heard from my soon to be community manager that Officer "slots" have been cut by 30% this year (since Jan). EVERYTHING IS TIGHT! I also heard (to add to AG7412) directly from Millington, SWO billets were not available to be filled until FY05. As for the active duty sailor, I too was wondering how this worked, as I am an active duty sailor selected for OCS. Everyone is competing for the same billets, active duty guys obviously have some advantage over a civilian (w/ the same credentials) due to leadership positions held, AD guys also probably have a few more contacts getting Letters of Recomendation. HECK YES you can apply in A school and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, unless there is a constraint w/ time in rate or time served in the instruction, which I do not believe there is! Here is a link to the instruction ... http://www.bupers.navy.mil/cdrom/OFFICER_PROGRAMS_APPLICATION.doc
Your Command Career Couselor should have this info for you as well.

Chris

shooter13

If you are in A school, your command may have a policy about applying to OCS. The CO has to recommend you and he can really tell you that you must have been at the command for a year to get his recommendation. That isn't witten in the instruction but if you push the issue, he will simply state in your endorsement that he wouldn't want to serve with you when commissioned. Any chance of selection with that? Believe me, I am currently a CCC and I see it happen some times. The best advice is to go talk to your CCC.

shooter13

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you Rayman. I don't get a lot of time on here anymore. The CCC is an individual who works within the command to assist members with career descisions. It is only for enlisted members. I deal with things such as reenlistments, assignments, advancement, etc. In my current assignment there are two of us. My command submits a god-awful amount of commissioning packages so I primarily work full time on them and our other CCC deals with the remaining issues. I am trying to decide if I want to put in for OCS to fly. I would love to do STA-21 but I am too old. That is the greatest program going in my not so humble opinion.

Rayman

shooter,
thanks for the clarification. i'm planning on enlisting and apply for a commission. I'll bear that in my mind to talk to my CCC when the need arises.

So, if someone who's barely done with his 'A' school approaches a CCC for advice cz his OC has declined on giving his endorsement to that individual, what does the CCC do?
icon_smile_question.gif

rayman

shooter13

A lot of it will depend on the A school. Your supervisor is recommending you to become his boss when he is recommending you for an officer package. Your CO is recommending you as someone they want to have work for them. There is a bit more personal observations that come into play for enlisted to officer applications. You are definately looked at as more than a number or set of test scores. With all that in mind, if you are only at a school for 2 months, how can they possibly know if you will be a good officer? That is why some schools won't recommend anyone. If that is the case, I tell people who I think will make good officers to apply when they get to their boat. I tell them how to do it, and make sure they know they can call me for help. I DON'T try to cut my CO's legs out from under him. What are you going to do if you enlist? Do you have a degree?

Rayman

Shooter,
I went ahead and posted a message for you in your Personal Message. Try to retrieve it in your inbox. Yup, i have a degree. BS in Electronics and Communication Engineering. I'm also a CPL with IR holder with almost 200hrs of flight time.

rayman

dwitt

I was told not to apply in A school as well. I was not happy about it at the time,but in hind sight, I think it was a blessing in disguise. I am still waiting to for a reply to see if I am selected or not,but by having some evals and a chance to prove myself at a regular command, I have been given some strong back-up and from the right people.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Rayman,

With a 4 year degree, why are you going to enlist? Just to let you know, there is a huge difference between Enlisted and Officer. I know cause I've BTDT.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.