• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Acception into USNA

bigwill2876

The best way to start the process is to make an appointment with your high school guidance office.

Tell them that you are interested in USNA, ask who is the Blue and Gold officer assigned to that high school.

Most high schools have somebody in the area that handles that duty and he/she will shepherd you thru the beginning of the process.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was going to attack his horrific grammar/spelling, but since that was already addressed at length, my response has no purpose... boy that sounds familiar...

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I was going to attack his horrific grammar/spelling, but since that was already addressed at length, my response has no purpose... boy that sounds familiar...

No purpose? You got that long awaited 3061st post, didn't you? :)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The best way to start the process is to make an appointment with your high school guidance office.

Tell them that you are interested in USNA, ask who is the Blue and Gold officer assigned to that high school.

Most high schools have somebody in the area that handles that duty and he/she will shepherd you thru the beginning of the process.

That also assumes that your guidance office isn't staffed by a bunch of hippies that don't like the military. Went to an all girls' school, when I had my USAFA interview their equivalent of a BGO interviewed me at school, coming though the halls he got lots of dirty looks. I figure your best be is to send in your preliminary application or whatever it's called now. I did that toward the end of my junior year of high school and my BGO contacted me out of the blue one day in the summer.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^Second that advice. My high school guidance office was supportive, but they had no idea what went into the academy application process. This link should get you started, it's a list of all the blue and gold officers. Get in touch with your area coordinator, and they can put you in touch with someone. https://www.usna.com/SSLPage.aspx?pid=433

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I guess everyone makes mistakes:

"Griffith is a 2008 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy from Indianapolis, Indiana. He is currently serving as the electrical officer aboard Peleliu for his first division officer tour and will remain on board for a second tour as the fire control officer."
from http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=53802

Or they moved the academy.

Or maybe he's from Indianapolis? -1 for reading comprehension.

P.S.: little trivia threadjack: The Academy was located for a few years quite a distance away from Annapolis. Know where?

Further, what school effectively became the 2nd Naval Academy in World War II? (Hint: they wear blue and gold nowadays, mostly...).

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
The Academy was located for a few years quite a distance away from Annapolis. Know where?

Newport, RI, during the Civil War.

Further, what school effectively became the 2nd Naval Academy in World War II? (Hint: they wear blue and gold nowadays, mostly...).
USMMA?

EDIT: Wait, no, you probably mean Notre Dame.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Sorry, back from leave. Yeah, I was going for Notre Dame. And I was looking for Newport for the other answer, but I see what you're saying in Philadelphia, but I thought the Naval Academy, as we know it today traces its original roots to Annapolis, but I could be wrong.

FutureNavy84

Mistakes

To the people who noticed grammar mistakes in my post, I was not paying that much attention to my spelling mistakes. The post was not to have people comment on my grammar but for people that either been to the Academy or are currently there to give me advice. I am currently still looking for any advice.

phrogpilot73

The Naval Academy Started in Philadelphia. When it burned down, they moved to Annapolis.
Huh??

History. Don't forget to click each year for more tidbits.
You link only mentions a Naval Asylum school that was the predecessor to USNA, and that there were other similar Naval Schools at Norfolk, Boston and New York. So I don't think you can really say that USNA was started in Philadelphia. So, from your own link:

"Through the efforts of the Secretary of the Navy George Bancroft, the Naval School was established without Congressional funding, at a 10-acre Army post named Fort Severn in Annapolis, Maryland, on October 10, 1845, with a class of 50 midshipmen and seven professors."

And to answer about other locations?

"April 25, 1861-Frigate USS Constitution carries Academy Midshipmen to Newport, R. I.

May 13, 1861-Classes reconvene in Newport.

August 9, 1865- The Naval Academy returns to Annapolis after 4 years in Newport."

To the people who noticed grammar mistakes in my post, I was not paying that much attention to my spelling mistakes. The post was not to have people comment on my grammar but for people that either been to the Academy or are currently there to give me advice. I am currently still looking for any advice.
You want some advice? Work on your grammar. Pay more attention to your spelling mistakes. Because this is an internet forum, your spelling and grammar is a representation of who you are as a person. And right now it's not someone who should be headed to USNA.

Also, I'm glad you can tell us that your grammar and spelling is not important. Because you can do that in the real world. If you repost your question without any whiny bitching about how we require you to represent yourself semi-professionally, and without any major grammar/spelling issues - than I MIGHT answer your question.

Oh, and I'm class of '98 from USNA

Will_T

Will_T

That's fine FN84, but you need to remember that this isn't any run-of-the-mill forum, this is a much more professional forum filled with naval aviators (officers mostly) and, if you play your cards right, colleagues. That said, there is some advice thrown in between the grammar-bashing (as well as that aimed at me). My suggestion, use the search function, find what you need, and then ask any other questions you have. And then ask them like your being interviewed by an Admiral. That way they have no reason to rank on you for grammar/whiny-ness. All the best.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
GPA is much less important than class standing. In turn, the admissions board makes assumptions about the quality of your H.S. based on things like graduation rates, percentage of grads that go on to college, number of merit scholars, average SAT/ACT scores coming out of the school and, I have heard, even asvab performance by students. So a guy that took no honors or AP classes, is in the top 5% of his class at a high school that sends barely 30% of its grads to college, and has low average SAT scores for last year's grads, will not compete well with a guy that took honors and AP classes, finished in the top 35% of a class where 80% go to college, several were National Merit Finalists, and average SAT sores for the class are higher then the national average. And I have to believe that is probably true for most universities.