• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Acception into USNA

m26

Contributor
I went to high school in Florida, and got into UF...

My district (and most FL schools, it seemed), gave 1 extra point for Honors, AP, and dual-credit (community college) classes. So if you got 2 B's in 2 AP classes, and 2 A's in two regular classes, you'd have a 4.0. The valedictorian at our school had a 4.6 or something ridiculous like that.

If memory serves, UF recalculates the grades themselves. I thought they gave a .5 boost for honors and dual-credit, and 1 point for AP.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think that FutureNavy84 from Ohio should probably just directly apply to the "astro-not" program.
That's what I did. I received my acception to the 2012 Space Shuttle program and will be participating in the LEO to Moon tract. Thankfully, all my training will be done via distance learning using computer based training so I can still keep my day job. No launch date scheduled yet.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I only ask because I think of the military academies as very prestigious (maybe even borderline Ivy)....

USNA is nowhere close to an Ivy league school...more like a federal institution where ACCEPTION is the rule. :)

-ea6bflyr ;)

Will_T

Will_T
Yea, I'm graduating high school in about 2 weeks (no finals to screw up my grades - senior privileged) with a 4.26something with AP classes and I'm 11th in my class of 300+, each school weighs it differently, and each school will ask you high school for a transcript and a grading system explanation, I see the USNA as no different in that regard, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also,F.N.84, just some advice, when there is a red line underlining a word you wrote, it's probably misspelled, and even then, take the extra 3 seconds to look over your spelling and grammar, I've heard this sight is frequented by some big people, and you don't want to look like an idiot. Best of luck to you,
Will.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reread your earlier post

Naval Academy Admission
I was wondering if any one could help me by giving me some information. Back a few years ago I moved from a town I had lived in for awhile. I began f****** up in school. I failed the 8th grade. Since then I got my act together. I join a school that was over the internet to catch up. I was in it for my 9th grade year and am still in it for my 10th. I plan to go back to regular high school next year and graduate. My dream is to go to the Academy and be a Naval Aviator, Naval Aviator-Marine. Would my case make the Academy look me over for an Admission? Please reply A.S.A.P​

I would suggest brushing up on your English and grammar prior to writing any essays on college/academy applications. Also have someone help you out with them by proofreading. Participate in extra curricular activities, Be well rounded, and do well in math and science and English classes.

:icon_mi_1 If your grammar is bad here you'll likely hear about it.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
If memory serves me correctly...poor grammar skills were not exactly unusual at the boat school. Beyond that, however, for the OP...your background would be unusual for an Academy bubba. Simple numbers (mucho applicants competing for a finite number of slots...and we will ignore the whole congressional nomination issue for now) are going to work against someone with a non-superstar record. Your GPA looks reasonable...but what is your district's average GPA?

Without more information on your situation it is hard to tell you if you are on the right track...good grades and solid extra-curriculars are always a good bet, though. Do you have teachers willing to write you great recommendations...do you have an "in" with your local congressman for the nomination process etc...

The Naval Academy publishes the data on each year's class...google/bing it and start trying to rate yourself against that standard...and shoot to exceed the norm. Take the PSAT to assess your readiness for the real SAT / ACT gauntlet and keep your nose clean.

USNA can be a difficult institution to get in to...but not everyone there is a cookie-cutter "Boat School" stereotype. Good luck...

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
This must be the funnest post ever!:)

MY point was missed. I did not mean to belittle the original post, yes some minor issues, but acception is a valid English word. Usage is obsolete and the generally accepted alternative word meaning the same thing is acceptation. Either from French or Latin, I cannot remember.

My point was that those who give advice should at least practice what they preach. Yes spell check will not flag sight but it is the wrong word, as from context I think site was the intended word. While I am on my soap box, be careful when you use the Thesaurus. Make sure you look up the meaning of a word selected from the Thesaurus. :icon_rage:icon_rage