• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnum

it is now official-i have been selected for snfo(would have liked sna but for us 29 year olds the trident gods felt that we must have chaueffers to fly us around this world). i am scheduled for ocs on Jan 12 2002. am looking forward to meeting anyone assigned on that date-and am wanting to correlate any info as per snfo on this website. i feel that info needs to addressed for snfo as well as sna. because we are all a team-so hopefully i can put light on the snfo side as well as my training progresses in the near future. FLY NAVY!!!! F-18 SUPERHORNETS now have backseats with great views. HOOYAH!!!

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Hey Magnum,
If they are telling you that you can't be a pilot due to your age, I think you need to leave a message for EODDAVE. He just switched from NFO to pilot and he's 31. Good luck. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

bpikula

Hey Magnum, I have an OCS start date of Jan 12th as well. Glad to hear I'll know someone ahead of time. There is one other guy from my ACEs trip that requested 12 Jan 02 as well. Maybe we can all meet in P-Cola ahead of time and have a little fun before the "pain" begins. At least get to know each other a little. By the way, where are you from?

magnum

bpikula-OUTSTANDING! a fellow future aviator is there. look forward to meeting with you in P-COLA. To answer your question I am from the great state of UTAH-(HELP!!! GET ME OUT OF HERE) in the great city of Salt Lake City.(BORING!!!)-and no I do not have 6 wives. <lol> I am a graduate from the University of Utah-GO UTES!!!

Jeff29

Science Project
Magnum,

Did you grow up in Utah, or just go to school there? BTW, my blood runs blue, as in Cougar Blue.

magnum

Cougar Blue-I can respect that. Yes, I was born and raised in Utah. Salt Lake City,Utah. And it appears I will be deviating from Crimson Ute Red to Blue. NAVY BLUE THAT IS!

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Ok here is what I have learned about the age waiver situation. First of all, there are new age limits for pilot and NFO. They are 31 and 33 respectively. The thing is that you have to be commisioned on or before your 31/33 bday. As far as age waivers go, CDR Jack Scorby (aviation Community manager)says that they just arent given. What this means is that if you are a day late and a dollar short (ie you just waited to long, started school late or whatever) then you have zip chance of getting a waiver. There has to be an extrordinary circumstance beyond your control. ie hurt in ocs or through no fault of your own you are being delayed in getting your commision (read my circumstances on page 2 of who spiked my oj) Magnum, From what I have read you are 29 and go to ocs in several months. If this is the case, then you should not need an age waiver. What happens is that if you put down NFO anywhere on your application selection, then the boys in millington made you an NFO. Are you prior service? Did you pass all parts of the ASTB for pilot? How bout your physical?

Dave

Dave Shutter

I'm going to compare age waiver notes with you if you don't mind Dave...

Ever since I started this the age limit was (and is) as follows: Must commision before 27 for pilot, 29 for NFO. However adjustment (waivers) up to 48 months will be CONSIDERED for prior active duty service members.

Originally this was on a month for month basis; IE: 2 yrs and 6 mths in Rammstein Germany with the Air Force right out High School buys you an SNA age max of 29&1/2 at the Navy recruiting office back home in Spokane, while 4 years takes you all the way to 31. They look at your DD214 and tabulate the exact number of days active and add it on to the age max for you. This FY, under that rule, I had until around Sept. 29 to have been commisioned. I was rejected of course (and wasted precious months because someone sent in my app. with scores that only qualified for NFO! Hmmm, what was his plan?) and was looking at NFO, then I talked to chief Gus in KC and he says it was changed to an even more lenient standard: This year and this year only, due to drastic shortages, ALL PRIOR service are now considered up to 31 regardless of time served. So now only 1 year of prior active time (if that's even possible) now buys you max time up to 31. The fact that you have prior service (Navy SPEC-OPS no less!) was what got you picked up for SNA at just shy of 31. Other than that your cut off is at 27 SNA and 29 SNFO, to the day!

Also bear in mind that this is a waiver consideration, You have to apply for it and then you will only be considered, but recruiting being what it is...

See you in P-cola

(OC) Shutter SNA, OCS Oct. 27

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Dave S,

If that is the case then I didnt hear out officer recruiter right. However, I will be 31 when I start OCS. I didn't think that I had a chance in a million of getting a waiver. I had to get the aviation OCM to approve my waiver and then it had to be signed off by the head of officer personel and planning, who is the aviation ocm's boss. I happen to think that my waiver is extremely rare and the circumstances surronding my situation dont happen very often. Hey if you get to fly in a plane for a living it cant be all that bad. Pilot or nfo, what a way to make a living.

Dave

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:Hey if you get to fly in a plane for a living it cant be all that bad. Pilot or nfo, what a way to make a living.

Boy, isn't that that the truth. Even though nobody I ever talk to knows what a P3 is (even after the China incident), you mention that you are a Navy Pilot, and instantly you are the center of attention, lol. I have a lot of old high school friends that still can't believe all the fun stuff I have gotten to do in the military, subs, diving and now flying is the top of all of that! Of course, saying that I am moving to Hawaii doesn't hurt either...

magnum

Dave S.

I must correct the age requirement. As of this year,at least SNFO for civilians the cutoff age is 30. I am a prime example of this-I am already 29 years of age. But I do have a question based on your comment. What if a civilian has 3 months active duty for training as a reservist. is that considered prior service? "ALL PRIOR SERVICE ARE NOW CONSIDERED UP TO 31 REGARDLESS OF TIME SERVED."

Dave Shutter

quote:As of this year,at least SNFO for civilians the cutoff age is 30.

I forgot about that, you're right. Good question...My comment above was merely what I saw in black and white at my recruiters office. Active duty time is indicated in yrs, mths and days on your DD214. When the review board opens your prior service records to see what you were up to it's probably the first thing they look at. I guess wether or not a few months of training or semester's in a college program was "active duty" would be their decision...???

(OC) Shutter SNA, OCS Oct 27

magnum

The reason why I ask is that my recruiters informed me that being 29 years of age that I was too old for a pilot slot. And that NFO was my only viable option. I did attend Basic training with the United States Marine Corps in San Diego CA. That was active duty for training(3 months) I was a 0311(infantry)
MOS. I was on a program that allowed me to attend basic training one summer and then return to college(and participate in monthly drills)then report to my MOS training the following summer so that as to not affect my school schedule due to the fact that I was on scholarship. If what you are saying is accurate-meaning any active duty time will allow me to qualify for pilot-in other words extend the age limit.I qualify for pilot. Again my recruiters are unaware of any such "change". So all I listed on my application was SNFO. And as previously mentioned was selected for SNFO. If you can please respond with information pertaining to what you have been told-I would greatly appreciate it. Again like they have said in earlier postings "ASK QUESTIONS". To further expand on this I would like names and phone numbers for these contacts in order for me to provide these to my local office. I am sure they would also like to know. Any detailed information or whom to refer me or my office to would be greatly appreciated. Not that I am not proud of being selected as an SNFO-but I just want to keep my options open.

Marko

I am pior service and won't start flight school until I am 30. I applied for pilot and I got accepted for nav. They told my recuiter that I was to old for a pilot spot. He repied telling them that with pior service age is waiverable up to 31. Two weeks later I got an sna spot. So if you are prior and want a pilot spot I would have your recuiter look into the age limits for pior service.

Status
Not open for further replies.