• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Abbots v Brooks Brothers

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another question regarding Abbots... does anyone have a bridge coat? Are they worth purchasing? Is Abbots worth the extra 150 bucks over the NEX?

I got a Bridge Coat from the NEX and it has been nice the few times the I have worn it. It is not really necessary though and I would hold off a few years before buying it.

I would not buy an Abbotts one though, the NEX one looks sharp enough and dropping an extra $150 for an outer coat really is not worth it in my opinion.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Go buy a Bridge Coat from Abbots... if you wear a 40R.

Because after 2 years of seeing mine go unused, I brought it back to them and they're selling it on concinement for me.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another option you might want to consider is a Boat Cloak :D. Believe it or not, it is still an authorized uniform item.

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/chapter3/3500_seriesArticles/3501_4.htm

Old Navy version:

h49336t.jpg

Old Marine one, gives you a better idea of what one looks like:

BoatCloakFullFrt.JPG

I had a professor at school (retired USNR CAPT) that wore one of these all of the time, he was an interesting character to say the least. I have never seen anyone else wear one though.

phrogpilot73

Another option you might want to consider is a Boat Cloak :D. Believe it or not, it is still an authorized uniform item.

Old Marine one, gives you a better idea of what one looks like:

I had a professor at school (retired USNR CAPT) that wore one of these all of the time, he was an interesting character to say the least. I have never seen anyone else wear one though.
Still in the regs for the Marine Corps as well, here's a better picture - so you can REALLY see what one looks like:

bf0s0c1d_1.jpg

In case anyone is REALLY interested in procuring one, The Marine Shop is always happy to take your money. This example will cost you $600.

I too, have only ever seen one officer wear a boat cloak. Maj "P" - a history instructor when I was at USNA (and those who went to USNA same time as me probably know him). He showed up at the USMC Birthday Ball wearing it. He had an MA in Military History, and was my History of the Marine Corps instructor. Very much into the history and traditions of the Marine Corps. I haven't ruled out buying one, but it would only be as a LtCol or higher...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That and a staff, cane, or swagger stick and you are all set for a night out on town in London. :)

-ea6bflyr ;)

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I've always liked the way the bridge coat looks. If I ever get deployed to a place that is cold enough for it, I'd definitely buy one.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Still in the regs for the Marine Corps as well, here's a better picture - so you can REALLY see what one looks like:

bf0s0c1d_1.jpg

In case anyone is REALLY interested in procuring one, The Marine Shop is always happy to take your money. This example will cost you $600.

I too, have only ever seen one officer wear a boat cloak. Maj "P" - a history instructor when I was at USNA (and those who went to USNA same time as me probably know him). He showed up at the USMC Birthday Ball wearing it. He had an MA in Military History, and was my History of the Marine Corps instructor. Very much into the history and traditions of the Marine Corps. I haven't ruled out buying one, but it would only be as a LtCol or higher...

I'm 90% Certain that that cloak is why one of my roomates wants to go Marines. I am a little angry for not remembering this, but don't Flag Officers get some special cloak? He used to talk about it all the time...

phrogpilot73

I'm 90% Certain that that cloak is why one of my roomates wants to go Marines. I am a little angry for not remembering this, but don't Flag Officers get some special cloak? He used to talk about it all the time...
Not that I'm aware of, and it's not in the Uniform Regs either. A boat cloak is a boat cloak, is a boat cloak. General Officers do wear some different uniform items (Flag Officers are Navy, General Officers are Marine Corps), however the boat cloak is not one of them.

For Dress Blue "A" & "B", General Officers wear dark blue trousers with a 2" wide blood stripe, as opposed to all other officers who wear sky blue with a 1 1/2" wide blood stripe.

For Evening Dress "B", General Officers wear a scarlet waistcoat, as opposed to all other officers who wear a scarlet cummerbund.

Of course, their covers are different too. That and the stars...

Examples:

Company Grade Officer Evening Dress "B"
Picture2.jpg

General Officer Evening Dress "B"
Picture1.jpg

Field Grade Officer Cover:
Picture4.jpg

General Officer Cover:
Picture3.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
bf0s0c1d_1.jpg

I too, have only ever seen one officer wear a boat cloak. Maj "P"...
My only experience w/ one was also strapped onto the shoulders of a MAJ @ a Marine Corps Birthday Ball ... must be a Marine Major thing ... ??? :)

Only this guy was a complete douche. Make that "is a complete douche"
(Vietnam amtracks, finally made LtCol -- patented the phrase "the napalm is beautiful along the tree line in the morning" -- ripped off by Apocalypse Now) as I saw him a few years ago at a Wing Commander retirement/change-of-command in Yuma. He pretended "not to remember me" ... after trying his damnedest for 2 years to get me kicked out of NROTC and sent to the Riverines as a Seaman Deuce. (Riverines NOT to be confused w/ the Supremes :))

The generals standing at the door welcoming us into the reception were much amused when I suggested that the Maj (I wouldn't call him by his name or final rank) was still a prick and doesn't he think he should go fvck himself???

It was a GREAT party!!! :D

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

bf0s0c1d_1.jpg

Since Okinawa doesn't have any place that you can buy Marine Officer uniforms, I bought all of the material and had my evening dress (the fat mans suit) made by an Okinawan tailor out in town. I saved about $400 that way, which got me to thinking about getting a boat cloak. I thought it would be great to be the only guy at the Birthday Ball in Yuma with one. It turns out that the fabric alone is about $300 and it wasn't worth it. Too bad. Maybe next year I'll get a swagger stick.:D