• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Abbots v Brooks Brothers

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I was going back through some old threads regarding Abbots uniforms and have previous knowledge of Brooks Brothers uniforms through the NEX.

I am curious has anyone had experience with both premium uniforms and can give advice or recommendations of one vice the other? Are they about the same quality?

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
If you get aviation I can honestly tell you that I have made it to advanced without wearing SDB's or chokers once. The only time I wore my SBD's was when I was commissioned. You should have them, yes, but don't get too wrapped around the axle about buying a premium set until you will actually wear them more than once every 2 years. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, a few extra cents. I have Abbott's for everything, really like them a lot, just never wear them. The khaki pisscutter Abbott's makes is great. It has a leather band on the inside that cuts down on sweat stains, is machine washable (despite their admonition not to do so), it looks like it's wash khaki so you can wear it with a flight suit without some chief informing you that you are out of uniform, and it holds up really well. Regardless of what you do for the dress uniforms, get one or two of these covers.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, a few extra cents. I have Abbott's for everything, really like them a lot, just never wear them. The khaki pisscutter Abbott's makes is great. It has a leather band on the inside that cuts down on sweat stains, is machine washable (despite their admonition not to do so), it looks like it's wash khaki so you can wear it with a flight suit without some chief informing you that you are out of uniform, and it holds up really well. Regardless of what you do for the dress uniforms, get one or two of these covers.

Huh?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
As a general rule I wouldn't buy uniforms that I dont need, but I have to commission in SDB's being that I am a December grad so I figured its better to make the investment in a nice set rather than waste money on a horse blanket. Right now Im just trying to decide between Brooks Brothers and Abbots

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I have worn all manner of khaki covers (wash, CNT, etc) with my flight suit and never had anyone try and correct me. If a Chief did, I would probably ask why he was wearing his green flight jacket with his regular khakis........:D
I usually counter by reminding him of the provisions of Article 125 of the UCMJ...

...especially if he went through initiation.

:D

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I have uniforms from each. Abbott's has superior quality, and the customer service is impeccable.

Plus, they're based in Pensacola... where you may or may not spend your first year or two.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Abbott's does their own jackets/trou, but sources their other stuff (insignia etc.) from outside. I would spring for SDBs and chokers from them and nothing else. Definitely get a Brooks Brothers SDB Shirt and tie; they're money. The shirt is "no iron"; pull it out of the dryer while still warm and you're done. Starch is not required. All else can come from the NEX. If you want a sword and can find a well-cared-for Wilkinson sword secondhand, get it! They were the only makers of truly high-quality swords, but are now bankrupt, leaving us in the realm of cheap plastic grips, etc.

I am still trying to find a combination cover that will not squeeze hell out of my grape though; I just did usher duty for the wing change of command today and feel like my head was clamped in a vice.

For those who worry about spending a little extra dough for good dress uniforms, SACK UP. Get the good SDBs; get the mess dress; you'll look sharp while your buddy who got the cheap stuff at the exchange looks like a 15 year-old wearing Dad's blazer.

SHAF

Idle for glory
pilot
I just took a look at the brooks bro and the standard issue SDBs today, and besides the awesome shirt and tie, the 2 sets look identicle. Not to mention brooks bros make limited cuts that may not fit as well as the wide variety of standards (athetic cut, etc).

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I just took a look at the brooks bro and the standard issue SDBs today, and besides the awesome shirt and tie, the 2 sets look identicle. Not to mention brooks bros make limited cuts that may not fit as well as the wide variety of standards (athetic cut, etc).

Looks =/= feel

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brooks Brothers??? Wow, I used to buy civilian suits/ties/shirts there ...

You guys are lucky to have a choice of quality
(I guess) vendors these days ... in the ol' days it was the NEX -- usually Flying Cross shirts -- actually, pretty nice once washed a few times -- or Van Heusen or Creighton or some other nondescript assorted companies for trousers and blouses ....

Abbots' was always reserved for the best -- and most expensive -- uniform items, but it was worth the price as they lasted FOREVER and took on a "salty" appearance that could pass muster but looked like you had "been there" ... :)

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Abbott's will take your measurements and build you a custom uniform. The heck with "athletic" or "regular" cut, that's as good as it gets. And I don't just mean the usual measurements like sleeve & neck size that define the garment. They use inseams, outseams, center back measurements and other crazy terms to find out what you are actually shaped like. Doesn't get better unless you get a bespoke suit (read: mucho dinero)

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow. Looks like they are stepping up to fill the Wilkinson void. If you get that with a ray-skin grip, it probably is similar. That's my biggest peeve: an otherwise nice looking sword with a cheap plastic grip. Which is meant to look like rayskin, anyway, but oftentimes has "bumps" which are too big, chafe your hand, and make sword drill painful on those few occasions you have to do it.