• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Abbots v Brooks Brothers

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They use inseams, outseams, center back measurements and other crazy terms to find out what you are actually shaped like. Doesn't get better unless you get a bespoke suit (read: mucho dinero)

And yet they managed to screw up everything they measured for me. I'm going w/ Zab's advice (from another thread) and will the try the Brooks Brothers for my future mess dress purchase.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Brooks Brothers??? Wow, I used to buy civilian suits/ties/shirts there ...

You guys are lucky to have a choice of quality (I guess) vendors these days ...
I'll trade you my Brooks Brothers SDB shirts for your Thursday night "fashion shows" at the O-Club.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'll trade you my Brooks Brothers SDB shirts for your Thursday night "fashion shows" at the O-Club.

I'll drink to that ....

maitaima5.jpg

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Wow. Looks like they are stepping up to fill the Wilkinson void. If you get that with a ray-skin grip, it probably is similar. That's my biggest peeve: an otherwise nice looking sword with a cheap plastic grip. Which is meant to look like rayskin, anyway, but oftentimes has "bumps" which are too big, chafe your hand, and make sword drill painful on those few occasions you have to do it.

Had any experience with a ray skin sword by chance? The website says that ray skin has a tendency to turn black from the oil and dirt on your hands and they know of no way to clean it.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot

I have their sword. It looks great, handles well... is balanced. Plus, Gramma had them etch my name on the blade.

Graduation gift. You do not need one, but it's nice to have... hang it on the wall in a case, and the chicks think you're a samarai.

I wore it to my friends wedding, at her request... none of the gaggle of children even cared about it or gave it a second look. However, every single male above the age of 16 wanted to see it, hold it, examine it, and ask me questions about it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Had any experience with a ray skin sword by chance? The website says that ray skin has a tendency to turn black from the oil and dirt on your hands and they know of no way to clean it.
Have had a rayskin grip on my sword for 4.5 years and it still looks fine. Granted, it's only done 2 wedding sword arches so far. But one is supposed to wear white gloves when one is carrying a sword, no? That would seem to solve the problem. The plastic grip is designed to emulate the swords of yesteryear, which had a fish-skin grip!

Behold! The U.S. Navy Officer's Sword, model 1852, still in use today, some 156 years later . . . albeit not with an edge . . . and the Marines say we don't have tradition. :icon_tong

statesman

pilot
are you saying we need to add the option for Shotguns and Ninjas to the dress uniform regs?

I support that by the way. MB it may be time to draft an addendum to the AWGs point paper that was sent up the chain.

statesman

pilot
Another question regarding Abbots... does anyone have a bridge coat? Are they worth purchasing? Is Abbots worth the extra 150 bucks over the NEX?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another question regarding Abbots... does anyone have a bridge coat? Are they worth purchasing? Is Abbots worth the extra 150 bucks over the NEX?
I don't have one, but I would say Abbott's is worth the extra $150 over the NEX. If you're gonna be stationed somewhere cold, buy it in case you have a change of command or some other occasion to wear your blues.
The issue raincoat looks like ass. Don't buy it for P-cola etc. You'll never need it. Wish I had one for 2 changes of command in the past 2wks up here, again, because the uniform raincoat looks like trash.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
Abbotts vs Brooksbrothers

I bought most of my uniforms from abbotts with the only exceptions being two set of Flying cross khakis from my academy issue. So far I have been extremely satisfied with the stuff abbotts had. The one problem I had was trying to get pants that properly fit was hard unless I was actually in the store.

As for the raincoat they sell its better than the one at the Nex because it wont shed on you when your wearing whites.

I have one of those WKC Swords and its very nice though the only time Ive had it out of the box is to look at it.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Question about sword regs

DH has his grandfather's sword. The leather on the scabbard has completely disintegrated, making it currently unusable. I'd like to get it re-leathered for him but with none of the original leather left, I have nothing to match. Is the leather supposed to be black and is there anything else I should know about regulations when I go to get this done? TIA.