• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A colgan Q400 Crash!?

keeper28

You are absolutly right. I have family that flies commercial and have talked how unreliable they are. I can't say I know much about it at all- I was just surprised to see another misshap. At least the pilots seemed to have it all under control.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"romanian" or the Q400? Bad things keep happening to that a/c. Maybe it's the a/c itself !? Not counting the Buffalo/Colgan accident, I can recall off-hand 4 landing gear related accidents w/ that a/c.

You are absolutly right. I have family that flies commercial and have talked how unreliable they are. I can't say I know much about it at all- I was just surprised to see another misshap. At least the pilots seemed to have it all under control.

It might be relevant if the aircraft in the Romanian accident was a Dash-8/Q400, but alas it is a Saab 2000. The first hint was the low wing, Dash-8's have a high one, and the second was the plane was identified in the article, twice. :D

The Dash 8's have had quite a few landing gear incidents, Scandinavian Airlines had several incidents in just a few weeks in 2007 and withdrew the type from service, though the airline may have been partly at fault with its maintenance practices. It appears that most other airlines are happy with it and the order book is still pretty full.

As a helpful resource, there is a whole page in Wikipedia about it!

Dash 8 Landing Gear Incidents

MasterBates

That's an image I really could have not used while eating breakfast Layzee.

While threadjacking is normal to a point here, there are some things which don't add much and probably didn't need to say. Those who have been to aircraft crashes or vehicular fires remember that stuff even if they want to forget it. (I'm in this camp)

The rest of the people, especially the wives probably don't want to hear/read that.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Flash:
Thanks for correcting me: I took a quick look at the photo, saw the 6-blade props & shut down my brain. I certainly agree that on-paper the Q400 is the best-looking turbo-prop out there: faster, hauls mo' fannies & greater range than competitors. I also agree that the order book remains full. Now, if the airlines operating it would just stop crashing them . . . Maybe part of the underlying problem here is that regional carrier/turbo-prop aircrew are most often lower-time/non-military background pilots flying into smaller airports that have fewer ILS's & other navaids.

DavidC

Other pilots who fly the ILS into BUF have reported distortions in the glideslope, which could cause an autopilot to rapidly pitch up in an attempt to catch a moving signal.

If this is the case, the FAA will be taking a serious hit. They're the ones pushing airlines to keep the autopilot on as long as the regs allow.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Other pilots who fly the ILS into BUF have reported distortions in the glideslope, which could cause an autopilot to rapidly pitch up in an attempt to catch a moving signal.

If this is the case, the FAA will be taking a serious hit. They're the ones pushing airlines to keep the autopilot on as long as the regs allow.

Those reports about the ILS are in regards to aircraft vectored from the opposite corridor to the Colgan A/C... That is why the are having folks not arm the glideslope capture (or what ever their automation refers to it) until established on the localizer inbound.. If I can find the reference where I read that, I will post it..

I think I read/heard the glideslpoe thing from some Southwest buds. Only reference that I can find for now (from my/our stuff and not hearsay) is a LIDO change (we don't use Jepps anymore here):
Glideslope unusable beyond 5deg right of course.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
"Other pilots who fly the ILS into BUF have reported distortions in the glideslope, which could cause an autopilot to rapidly pitch up in an attempt to catch a moving signal."

That, sir, is truly frightening