• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A colgan Q400 Crash!?

bizlake

Another A-Pool Guy
Just heard from a friend that a Q400 crashed short of the runway in Buffalo?! Anyone else hear anything? Hope everyone is ok! but this one doesnt sound so lucky.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Went to Colgan's website...they have the Bombardier Q400 and it says it's new to the fleet with a capacity of 74 PAX. The SAAB 340 with 34 PAX and the BEECH 1900 with 19 PAX.

The T-tail in the video on the news and the fact that nothing else is capable of carrying 49 people would indicate it's the Bombardier. Interesting since it's new to the fleet.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
A month ago they were running stories on the news about how "we haven't had a major commercial plane crash in two years, I hope we haven't jinxed us!!!"

Morons.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KBUF 130505Z COR 25012KT 4SM -SN BR BKN008 BKN015 OVC021 01/00 A2983 RMK AO2 CIG 005V011 P0000[/FONT]

I didn't know what a Q400 was so I looked it up. For those of you who are clueless like me, it looks kinda like a stretched Dash 8:

image003.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't know what a Q400 was so I looked it up. For those of you who are clueless like me, it looks kinda like a stretched Dash 8

That is exactly what it is.

To add to what HAL has already said, the Dash 8 (DHC-8) was originally designed and produced by deHavilland Canada, who were eventually bought out by the Canadian Bombardier group who has continued to produce updated versions they call the the 'Q Series', for quiet. The Q400 is the latest version of the original Dash 8.

KSUFLY

pilot
Well according to the morning, national news...it was rime icing from supercooled water!!!

All seriousness though, it's sad that 50 people died in this crash.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I would like to see Sully as the "correspondant" for all air disasters from now on. I am sick of these idiots on TV making shit up.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
To add to what HAL has already said, the Dash 8 (DHC-8) was originally designed and produced by deHavilland Canada, who were eventually bought out by the Canadian Bombardier group who has continued to produce updated versions they call the the 'Q Series', for quiet. The Q400 is the latest version of the original Dash 8.

Doesn't the Q series also have a lot in common with the CRJ series as well?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would like to see Sully as the "correspondant" for all air disasters from now on. I am sick of these idiots on TV making shit up.
That's a damn good idea, actually. I'd pay to see him take the proverbial cluebat to the first overpaid prima donna reporter who spouts uninformed drivel.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doesn't the Q series also have a lot in common with the CRJ series as well?

Other than being manufactured by the same company, I am not aware of anything in common. Since they are from the same company they might have somewhat common cockpits and other components, but they are based on two completely different designs.